Details on 2014 690 enduro r?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by BigTony, Jul 3, 2013.

1. THop

THop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lol thats what i did i went online to get my parts and will be from now on. They are the only KTM dealer within a days worth of travelling (which includes an 8hr fery ride lol) and are the first KTM dealership on the island in 3-4 years so slim pickin's i guess. I originally wanted an 1190 adv but they refused to get one in for me so i went with the 690 Enduro and im much happier, reciently got to plank my arse on an 1190 and was not impressed with the feel, much happier with my 690 espically after comming from a KLR lol
  2. surferbum

surferbum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Relocated to Scottsdale, AZ from SF Bay area
    The stock Pirelli MT21 rear had 3,200 miles (50/50 off-pavement & getting to the off-pavement). Lugs were short and cracking. Front Pirelli looks good so I opted to put another MT21 on the back. Once it and the front need replacing then I'll determine what to put on front/back.

Here the new balanced MT21 ready for some fun.

[​IMG]
  3. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty happy with the stock MT21 as well although I don't think that I will get any where close to 3200 miles out of it! It's decent on pavement and in the dirt. I rode a DS this weekend in FL with it in the mud and sand and the tire did pretty good except maybe in the deep sand. All in all a good all around tire for a bike of this weight and horsepower!
  4. strat10

strat10 Ready for adventure

Oddometer:
    Wow, mine were dead after 600 miles. Mostly rocky truck trails, and maybe to much throttle :)
  5. Wansfel

Wansfel I'm not lost! The world is just a bit misplaced.

Oddometer:
    my 2010 had 1200 miles when I got it last September. The MT21 rear was pretty much toast by then and I finished it off pretty quickly. The front MT21 is still looking good at 3,000 miles. Ran a well used 606 on the rear until I picked up a Motoz Tractionator. Finally got to really try it today and I like so far.

Not a lot of dirt open yet, but the little side trips I took, the Motoz was great and not so bad on the highway.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. ChuckHazzard

ChuckHazzard Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    The corn state,11 curves in 318 miles (Iafalls IA)
    Gentlemen. Need some assistance.

My right side Bolt for the swingarm/peg carrier keeps backing out. Even with Blue loctite. Have put red on it last night.

Could somebody please tell me what the torque setting is for that bolt? I have put it at 50 lbs.

Thanks! :thumb
  7. sweetlou

sweetlou small body, big balls

Oddometer:

Thinking of the same rear tire. How does it compare on the street to the MT 21?
  8. Wansfel

Wansfel I'm not lost! The world is just a bit misplaced.

Oddometer:
    My MT 21 was pretty well shot when I got it so hard to say, but will say they both handled my needs for street. The Motoz really surprised me one place in a slimy bit of wet dirt road when it still connected enough to power launch the front end once. Just haven't had enough saddle time to fully evaluate it yet though.
  9. nartmot

nartmot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where is a good place to buy a Scotts Damper? I was only able to find 2 or 3 online retailers with the right mounting kit using a Google search. Found a complete kit on ebay for $558, but it is the road version. Does it matter, really? Has anyone tried both the road and off-road versions? I am wondering if they really feel that different. Thanks in advance.
  10. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Too many variables with Scott's stuff, so I've just purchased my Scotts parts from them directly. They will make sure you get the right parts for your bike. When I compared prices, there was not much difference between direct and mail order that I could find.

As far as which one to get, I'd get the right one for your application. Google-fu came up with this.

Originally Posted by via Jake at Scott's Performance
    Scotts manufactures 2 different stabilizers, a road bike version and an off-road version. Both units share the same physical size and appearance; the main differences are in the valving design. Below is a very brief description of the differences between the 2 styles.

The off-road damper is a non-rebound stabilizer, which means, as it sweeps away from center it has damping but the moment it changes direction back toward center the damping is free until it reaches center again, hence the term non-rebound or free-rebound. This was an important development in the off-road damper and is what makes our damper work so well. Its design is to allow the rider to correct for constant slides associated with off-roading while not fighting with the damping forces back to center. It's a serious advantage for the off-road rider. This feature helps prevent the common syndrome known as arm pump. Our stabilizer is the only one made with this feature.

The road bike damper design requires a totally different function and therefore is a rebound damper. A road bike is primarily leaned, not steered, and the damping forces need to be absorbed in both directions to maintain constant stability, due to the nature of the energy needing to be absorbed.

Can they be interchanged? Yes.

Are you receiving all the advantages you could by using the off road unit on a road bike application or vice versa? No.

Is there a big difference? That is an individual opinion. Using your dirt bike damper on your road bike would still be a vast improvement over no damper at all and the same goes for using a road bike damper on a dirt bike. Some customers who have tried switching from one to the other say, they feel no difference. Others claim there is a huge difference. So you see, it's truly personal preference. There are other internal differences between the 2 stabilizers which would take a lot longer to explain. The best bet is always to use the right damper for the right application. However, we could not tell you that they don't work when switched for the other application; it's just that they work better when used as designed for the right application.

There are always specific applications that might favor one type or the other depending on the situation. We make our suggestions based on our testing and what the majority of our customer base prefers. You have the option to specify whichever unit you prefer when ordering.

Thank you,
    Jake
    Scotts Performance
  11. nartmot

nartmot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply.
  12. quibble

quibble Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know the size of the brake peddle adjustment screw? I.e. The screw that adjusts the height of the brake peddle?

Need a new (slightly longer) one after installing the knight designs footpegs but don't know what thread it is!
  13. nartmot

nartmot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think its an M5 screw. I would just pop it off and bring it to the hardware store with you to be sure.
  14. Brilloman

Oddometer:
    I bought mine off eBay (it's the off road version) and it came shipped directly from Scott's. Saved me about $20 or $30.

On a Dual Sport bike I don't see any reason to get a road version as it would not be preferable off road. You still get some benefit on road with the off road version. It works great for me.
  15. xathor

xathor Not actually Gnarly

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any problems with their ABS?

I've asked in the megathread but it just gets ignored.

Battery died on my 2014 (sat too long), I replaced it and now I have a persistent ABS light and non-functioning ABS.

I was hoping that there was some sort of troubleshooting guide that I could follow.
  16. Brilloman

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the ABS is switched off. Did you try switching it back on with the button next to the light on the instrument cluster?
  17. Chris6501

Chris6501 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When you replaced your battery, you may have accidently switched polarity for the power supply to your ABS system. Your ABS is fed directly off of the battery.
  18. Chris6501

Chris6501 Adventurer

Oddometer:

I know cause I did the same. The positive lead to your ABS is Black....so when I changed my battery I got mixed up and stuck it on the negative battery terminal, and had the exact same issue you had. Didn't cause any harm, just switched it back. KTM should mark that cable red.
  19. thetrooper08

thetrooper08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    . [/QUOTE] I had the EVO1 mapping installed and will need to change my airbox lid. [/QUOTE]

What is the code for the evo1 map?

My dealer is new and if i can get the code to use i can just tell them to load that map.
    I asked for the evo1 map and he didn't know what i was talking about.
  20. nartmot

nartmot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I read somewhere that there was a factory recall due to the black shrink wrap. Could have been this thread or the mega thread.

xathor, let us know if Chris's solution works.