1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Device to help pick up a 500+ lbs bike for a woman? (Now a group buy)

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by SpecialAgentNancy, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you practiced using the lift at home?
    Sometimes the place you think you will hook it on the bike isn't the best place, I found I needed some experimenting to find the best place.

2. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi all - I currently have good stock of the Dustriders hoist ready to ship from NY. If you're planning a big ride late in the season, this is a great tool to have with you if you're planning a solo ride, or subscribe to the old motto of "be prepared". Better to have it with you and have it never leave the bag, then need it and not have it!

Stock cleared out pretty quickly after the Iron Butt Magazine review, and we've already started to see a sharp uptick in sales after it was posted to a major magazine's Facebook page. If you want to make sure you get yours quickly, now's a good a time as any!

Any questions, please let me know.

Thanks!

Jason
  3. hefy_jefy

hefy_jefy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is has been one of the most useful posts I have come across...
    Here's my story - at 66 I am not as strong as I once was, earlier this year I took my 2014 R1200RT (600lbs) across the US and back solo, something I had dreamed of since coming here in 1997. The bike was fully loaded, top box, panniers plus an extra bag with tent sleeping bag, and Tourmaster suit. During the ride I needed all this gear, it was as hot and humid in NC as it was cold at the top of Monarch pass. I tipped the bike over twice, once in a Safeways carpark (the nice Mom in car next door put her kids in the child seat, rolled up her sleeves and we got it upright) the second time was in Colorado (Gunnison Canyon) two burly fishermen were fortunately nearby...
    It has worried me ever since that I likely could not have gotten the bike upright by myself. I am going to lay it down on some carpets in the garage to confirm... (my son is around to give a hand just now)
    So, the Dustriders Hoist looks like a really good solution I was wondering if anyone had tried the hoist with anything similar to the R1200RT?
    Nancy - great post many thanks!
    Geoff
  4. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Geoff - thanks for your interest! These bikes aren't getting any lighter and we aren't getting any younger, so you're not the only one with this concern.

We've found the Dustriders hoist works best on enduro-style bikes with minimal bodywork (GS, 1190 or 1290 Adventure, Tiger 800 / 1200, etc.) not because there's an issue with lifting the bike, but from finding a lifting point where the strap won't put pressure on the plastics. There's not an easy way to get the lifting strap away from the bike when lifting, and even with the fleece wrap and carry bag positioned under the strap during recovery, the pressure from the strap could crack a plastic mounting tab on your bodywork. Dustriders has looked at options to move the strap away from the bike (and continues to work on this), but at this point it would require too many extra parts to be practical to carry.

Net-net, if you understand the risks involved, it can absolutely work with fully-faired touring bikes. Realistically, the larger concern is going to be in "test recoveries", i.e. using it in your front yard to see how it works, as obviously you don't want to break undamaged plastics. If you put the bike down hard on the pavement, odds are good you've already scrambled the plastics enough that you won't do any further damage, or won't care because you just need the bike back up on two wheels. If I'm out in the boonies with no Good Samaritans nearby and I've already busted the heck out of the fairing, I'd rather take the chance I might break a little more plastic to get the bike upright and moving versus blowing out my back trying to get it back up solo.

Hope that helps - any other questions, please let me know.

Thanks!

Jason
  5. hefy_jefy

hefy_jefy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jason - thanks - yes that was exactly what I was concerned about, however I am going to do some experimenting of my own, if I have any ideas I will let you know. Having dropped this thing three times (!) now I am happy to report that the damage to the plastic is minimal, I have the Machineart plastic protectors on the heads and they work well, so you end up with some slight scraping of the panniers and a few dings in the mirror. The mirror is an easy fix with a spot of filler, and then and $100 - $150 to respray the pannier. I was lucky that both times it fell the same way so only one pannier :-) not too bad for 15,000miles.
  6. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rider Magazine reviewed the Dustriders hoist in their November 2015 issue (on newsstands now!) and came away suitably impressed! :D We do still have hoists in stock in NY and can ship your order same day if placed before 2PM ET. Feel free to call (585) 310-ADVM with any questions or click the article below to be taken to the product page on our site.

Thanks!

[​IMG]
  7. SpecialAgentNancy

SpecialAgentNancy & your little dog 2!

Oddometer:
    I finally used the darned thing. :)

Got a flat coming off the freeway (after riding all morning) sheesh.
    No one to help me get the bike on the centerstand. They suck on the Tiger.

SOOOOO, I used the hoist from the side rack. It was SO EASY and fast.
    It held the bike up for a week while I got the wheel off, bought a tube, went to the shop to break the bead and replace the tube, bring it back home and put the wheel back on. I LOVE THIS THING.

[​IMG]
    rotaryracer likes this.
  8. SpecialAgentNancy

SpecialAgentNancy & your little dog 2!

Oddometer:
    I also email Chris and Amanda the photo and here is what they said....cool story about the Irish gal.

Hi There!!

Good to hear from you again… and also that the Dustriders lift/hoist helped you with a sticky situation. Must say Jason from ADV MOTORRAD is a great guy to have onboard with the product

We would love it if people (like you had) post the feedback on the thread as well. Had an Irish girl buy one and she used it just a few days after she received it because she tipped over and nobody stopped to help

Her , so she used the Dustriders lift/hoist and very impressed how simple it was – it really is nice to hear that it helps people as that is what its all about in the end and why Chris came up with the idea – just to be able to ride his motorcycle….

Thank you so much for the feedback, much appreciated and hope to still meet you one day on your African travels…

Kind Regards

Amanda and Chris
  9. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    Well, now that we have a couple of positive stories about the lift being used and a great help in times of need.
    I will post my story.
    I got my lift a few months ago, tried it out in my driveway and it worked great, easy work of picking up my 1200GSA. But then I decided to see if I could pick the bike up unassisted, somewhat to my surprise the bike was fairly easy to pick up. Never the less I strapped the lift on my back seat and carried it everywhere with me on local rides.
    However, when it came time for me to make a ride away from home I decided to leave it at home. I had no plans for going off road or into isolated areas.
    So at a nice campground in New Hampshire, long way from Oklahoma and almost no one else in the campground of course I moved the bike a couple of feet and over some exposed tree roots and over we went. Because of the way it lay I could not even begin to pick it up. Lucky I was able to find some help and we picked it up.
    So, should I strap it on the bike and carry it around from now on? I haven't been since I got home.

[​IMG]
  10. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    SpecialAgentNancy, glad you were able to put the hoist to good use! It's a pretty versatile tool both in the garage and on the trail.

Hey ShawneeBill - thanks for the story, and glad to hear you found some folks nearby to help get your GSA back on two wheels. You bring up a good point, though - it's not necessarily the weight of the bike, strength, or the knowledge of how to lift it properly, the big variable can be the terrain in which it goes down. For around town and/or riding in populated areas, odds are good you can find someone to help if needed and the hoist wouldn't come out of the bag. it's those unexpected times when the bike goes over and no one's within earshot where the hoist really pays for itself.
  11. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some additional customer reviews from our website:

12. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    In addition to being a lifesaver off-road, the Dustriders hoist also makes a pretty handy bead breaker to fix a flat tire! Here's an overview on how to use it:
    1. Put the wheel on a flat surface
    2. Assemble the upper ratchet and lmiddle Y-piece sections, leaving the lower legs off.
    3. Place the ends of the Y-Piece on the sidewall of the tire as close to the rim as possible.
    4. Thread the hook strap through the inside of the wheel rim and around the tire.
    5. Hook the strap between the "Y" of the Y-piece (the strap now encircles the tire - down from the ratchet, through the rim, around the tire, and hooked back onto the strap)
    6. Operate the ratchet mechanism as normal and the downward pressure of the hoist assembly will loosen the tire bead on the rim
    7. If needed (and available), you can spray liquid or lube on the bead to help it slide off the rim easier

[​IMG]

TimCC and TM1(SS) like this.
  13. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool!
  14. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. Meritlane

Meritlane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nice to see a real world application. Looks like it would have been a slippery nightmare if pat was alone without the hoist.

Has anyone come up with a particularly clever way to stow it on a GS with touratech bags?
  16. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    Finally, pics of the hoist being used in anger! Looks like it worked great!

Pics of how I carry mine, not Touratech boxes but I think you should be able to carry a hoist like this with most panniers. Tucks between the seat and pannier just right and in my case is only slightly in the way. Doesn't show but it is tied in place with RoxStraps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    rotaryracer likes this.
  17. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bill, that's a great suggestion and the hoist looks like it tucks away well on the pannier rack crossbraces. Even if the bike goes over on that side, you'll still be able to get at it easily. Nice job!
  18. nimrod

nimrod Pog Mo Thoin

Oddometer:
    Mine broke. This one is a replacement as the first one's rachet failed. The weld at the " Y " gave out . I used it twice and it worked very well. Please advise.
  19. nimrod

nimrod Pog Mo Thoin

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

John, we have reviewed with the manufacturer and that type of damage is not consistent with regular use and does not qualify for warranty replacement. It may be able to be repaired by a local welding shop, although they will be better suited to determine if that's a recommended course of action.

Best Regards,

WTF?
  20. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    Looks like a bad weld to me.
    Night_Wolf and Graydale like this.