1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Device to help pick up a 500+ lbs bike for a woman? (Now a group buy)

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by SpecialAgentNancy, Jul 31, 2014.

1. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    +1. Not impressed that it broke like that. Really not impressed that it isn't covered by the maker!
    Graydale and NJ-Bill like this.
  2. Meritlane

Meritlane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what's the story behind the failure. hopefully you weren't out alone, in the cold rain with bike on top of you...
  3. nimrod

nimrod Pog Mo Thoin

Oddometer:
    I was in my garage thank god. I rigged up a come along from the joists to get the bike up. The lift had my bike up about ½ way when the weld gave out. I'm highly disappointed with Dustriders as they have been difficult with warranty coverage in the past. For me (with prior injuries that prevent me lifting a bike) the lift could have been a good solution. I no longer trust their lifts. If you have one I suggest using it at home several times as their quality seems to be lacking.
    Graydale likes this.
  4. nimrod

nimrod Pog Mo Thoin

Oddometer:
    Yes, mine broke and they won't make it right. I guess it is a mistake to assume that other english speaking countries have the same business morals.
    Graydale likes this.
  5. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Nimrod- In looking back over this thread you posted previously about the teeth of the ratchet failing (and had pictures of an obvious problem with the pawl), and more recently about the weld failing. You never posted what the resolution was re: the problem with the ratchet, but it appears you were sent a new unit. Now you have another very serious failure (which from the picture appears to be a very poor weld). Are you the only one who has experienced these failures? Have you somehow twice received an inferior lift? That would be quite an unfortunate coincidence. How many times have you been struck by lightning?!? I'm curious what others are finding re: the quality of these lifts.....
  6. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought I'd provide some additional information and clarify some misconceptions, as anyone that has spent time on forums will appreciate there's always more than one side to the story. I started putting all the detail together and as I approached the third page of a wall of text, I realized no one in the right mind is going to want to read this. This is still far too long and I've spent too much time on this, but here goes.

In summary, both Dustriders and ADV Motorrad absolutely stand behind the product when used for the application intended, within the stated capacity/max rating, and correctly per the instructions. The plain fact is that with hundreds of hoists in use on a regular basis in Namibia, South Africa, North Africa, Malaysia, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, Canada, the USA, and more, Nimrod is the only individual that's been able to break not one, but two of them. That's quite a coincidence, and after seeing the damage to the first hoist he returned, it leads me to believe that the issue is not with the hoist.

Nimrod's first hoist – purchased from the original group buy at a significant discount and shipped in October 2014 – was already replaced once as a goodwill gesture (not warranty) by Dustriders, as the damage caused to the ratchet mechanism was not consistent with a manufacturing defect. Despite the fact that we did not sell the original hoist to Nimrod, we covered the cost of international shipping for the replacement from South Africa and domestic shipping to Texas (over $80) and handled the issue for Nimrod domestically versus sending him back to the manufacturer. With this replacement hoist now broken due to an extreme lateral load that (A) does not occur when used correctly and as intended and (B) has never occurred in any other hoist, even when lifting far heavier loads, I don't think it's unreasonable to decline to send yet another free replacement.

It's disappointing that Nimrod continues to post these issues and disparage the product in a public forum well in advance of contacting the manufacturer or us. To date, Dustriders has not received a single email directly from Nimrod. Typically, I've found the best way to resolve an issue is to actually contact the company or individual you bought the product from...makes it easier for everyone.

To address some of the additional feedback:
    It's difficult to see on the single picture provided by nimrod, but it doesn't appear the weld broke - the straight tube of the Y-piece above the weld sheared. I've yet to figure out how enough lateral load could be applied to tear the tubing like that if the hoist was being used correctly and as intended.
    Quite frankly, regardless of how Nimrod was using it, I'm impressed he was able to get it to break at all. We have a lot of riders and magazine editors repeatedly lifting bikes far heavier than nimrod's Tiger 800 but within the rated capacity of 775 pounds – 1290 Super Adventures, R1200GSAs, Super Teneres, Tiger 1200s, etc. We've also had customers lift Harley big twin touring bikes (well over 1,000+ pounds) without a single issue – not endorsed or recommended, but the hoist has done it repeatedly.

The manufacturer has already stood behind the product and replaced the first hoist that Nimrod damaged, despite there being clear signs of damage inconsistent with a manufacturing defect.
    Again, from the single picture and almost no detail provided, it appears the weld did not fail – the tubing sheared above the weld due to a lateral load that the hoist is not designed for, most likely due to either incorrect usage, excessive weight, or both. Although I'll disagree on the statement regarding quality - proven by all other hoists working as expected without issue - we're in agreement that testing at home is always recommended to familiarize yourself with it's use.

This is a well-built, unique product that has proven itself repeatedly in magazine tests and in the hands of other riders. Quite frankly, if we saw a high rate of failure or defects, or if Dustriders didn't stand behind the product for legitimate warranty claims, we would no longer carry the product. As that has not at all been the case, we're happy to make it available in North America.

Best Regards,
  7. nimrod

nimrod Pog Mo Thoin

Oddometer:
  8. nimrod

nimrod Pog Mo Thoin

Oddometer:
    Jason, I did contact you by phone and you requested a photo which I sent you. The damage is the weld itself which if you need more photos I can certainly get them for you, ones that clearly show the faulty weld. As far as I being the only person that has had problems with your lift I have no response - bad luck? I'll get some closer photos up and see what the forum thinks.
  9. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
  10. nimrod

nimrod Pog Mo Thoin

Oddometer:
    eakins likes this.
  11. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welder inexperience, a common failure with MIG, only one side of the puddle actually melts the base metal.

If robotic, improper set-up.

[​IMG]

When I made my bike stand, I didn't reinforce the weld at the handle. It took a LOT of lateral force on the handle to lift the bike against a very small weld. After using the lift for 3 or 4 years, I decided the handle needed to be braced. If the above weld was done properly, no bracing would be necessary.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Night_Wolf and Graydale like this.
  12. nimrod

nimrod Pog Mo Thoin

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that is a very nice center stand assist. The Tiger is known for being difficult.
  13. Patj551

Patj551 Motorcycle & Empowerment Coach

Oddometer:
    Hey Jason! I love this hoist! In July I am hosting the Inaugural Power World ADVWoman Rally In Granby, CO. We're teaching a class on how to lift the bike. We will teach traditional methods and also show case the Dustrider Hoist! I'm working on a more balanced mounting and carrying solution. I don't really like carrying it across the tail rack and poking out on the sides. I have it strapped to the upper part of the pannier rack on the right side of the bike rigHt now. It fits nicely because of the extra space of the 1190R muffler. The problem is the bike isn't evenly weighted. (I carry the hoist at all times!) I'm thinking of mounting the heavy upper tube and ratchet on one side of the bike and mounting the remaining tubes and leg pieces on the other side.
  14. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    That long response is great and all but to me previously being the victim of a "you're the only one with issues" kind of ordeal with something else- I think its pretty insanely BS to use that excuse. The truth is you don't know how it happened.. you share no details on how you think he broke the ratchet of the first one and offer no guesses as to how the weld broke on this current one. To make matters worse someone has now pointed out the flaws in the weld above.

Fix the product then replace nimrod's unit, it's that simple.
  15. RetiredandRiding

RetiredandRiding Retired to Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ten weeks since the post with detailed photos of an apparently bad weld and only crickets... :dhorse

At $250 plus $42 shipping, it's pricey. Buying two because one failed is out of the question!
    Graydale likes this.
  16. nimrod

nimrod Pog Mo Thoin

Oddometer:
    I can't afford to go after them legally but I will try to expose this (IMHO) disreputable business. If I can prevent someone from relying (dangerously) on an inferior piece of equipment then some good has come of it.
  17. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kind of sad, I've had two good dealings with Adv Motorrad but from all the pictures this is something that got past Quality check, bad weld. Don't understand the response from them unless there is more to this than we are seeing.
  18. DonM

DonM Do-dah Do-dah Supporter

Oddometer:
    Take the bad weld to a welding teacher at a local community college and get an expert, first hand opinion. If you want to take it further get a statement in writing.

Good luck.
  19. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    I've only dabbled in welding and am definitely not a metallurgist, but nimrod's failure looks attributable to a bad weld to me, and not to a failure due to an "extreme lateral load". I showed the pictures to a friend who IS an experienced professional welder and fabricator; he agrees this appears to be a failure due to an inferior weld. Hard to imagine that where there's one bad weld there have been no others; yet the distributor states there are no other known reported failures of this product. Seems like this SHOULD be covered by the warranty.... Anyway, if it were mine, I'd take it to my welder friend and have him weld it correctly. Since there are no other welds on the lift, I would then feel confident with it.
  20. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that looks fairly easy for a decent welder to fix better than new. But it shouldn't have to be done that way.
    Night_Wolf likes this.