1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Device to help pick up a 500+ lbs bike for a woman? (Now a group buy)

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by SpecialAgentNancy, Jul 31, 2014.

1. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys - I've read and appreciate all the constructive feedback, opinions, and criticisms. As Shawnee Bill referenced, there's always more to the story, but can understand the opinion you might form if you've only read the last page or two. I have not had the opportunity to update this thread, but have been actively working with Dustriders on a resolution.

After nimrod posted the additional pictures, I reviewed them with a local fabricator/welder, and brought a hoist along to show how it works. When used correctly, there is almost no lateral force on the lift - it's all driven downward into the legs - so even a compromised weld should not have had the level of force against it that would cause it to shear. That said, if there's a chance that the weld was compromised and could cause an issue when used correctly, we are going to make it right, despite being past the warranty period. Dustriders agreed, and is sending a replacement Y-piece with our next shipment from South Africa arriving (Customs clearance willing) on Monday 27-Jun. I'm going to send the replacement part to nimrod free of charge, and provide a prepaid label to return the broken pieces so that I can provide Dustriders with additional photos and detail.

nimrod, I do hope that you'll give the Dustriders hoist another try. I'd also be happy to provide you with additional instruction on it's correct use to prevent any issues going forward. It's truly a lifesaving device, and there are hundreds and hundreds of people relying on and using this product on regular basis around the globe.

Best Regards,
  2. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    I have one, used it several times.
    advmotorrad has always treated me right.
    I can see no reason for that weld to fail, you just dont use it that way.
    Or at least I never have.
  3. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Way to go! Trying to make it right is great customer service and will encourage potential customers to do business and keep old customers coming back. :clap
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  4. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree this can be a lifesaving device, or at least save some of us a long lonesome walk. :jive:-) And I am glad lots of riders have it for insurance, but hope most of us never have to use ours on a regular basis in the wild.
  5. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The weld failed because of lack of fusion, either a robotics or human error. Any professional welder can testify to that in court. I'm glad the part is being replaced at no cost, this one is a manufacturing defect/error. I studied welding for 5 years, I was obsessed with learning everything I could about the science of welding as a hobby.

I'd like to add to the conversation, about the slipping ratchet. The first time I used my lift, it was dusk and I needed to be anywhere else. Since the footpeg was dug into the ground I couldn't hook to it so I removed the strap from the ratchet to run under the bike. When I reattached the strap I did it as I would any other ratchet strap, run the strap through the slot and crank. My ratchet slipped, I had to manually hold the stop into the ratchet (and it wouldn't go on both sides). It was a very tenuous process, wanting to slip on every crank, but I got the bike up.

The next morning I looked at the ratchet to see what was going on. :scratch In my haste the previous evening, I had missed the additional loop on the ratchet that directs the strap to the correct side of the ratchet. When tension is applied to the strap in this position, it binds the ratchet stop and prevents it from fully seating into the ratchet teeth. USER ERROR on my part, but I can now see exactly what happened. If I hadn't read about it here, I'd have been completely unprepared. Unlike other ratchet straps I've used, this one has a proper routing for the strap through an additional loop. Not a problem, it's a hefty loop and quite obvious when one knows it's there. In the heat of battle (and a setting sun), I ran the strap incorrectly.
  6. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    rotaryracer- I gave you kudos for making this right and don't mean to nit-pick, but I am curious about what happened to nimrod and have questions about this statement: "After nimrod posted the additional pictures, I reviewed them with a local fabricator/welder, and brought a hoist along to show how it works. When used correctly, there is almost no lateral force on the lift - it's all driven downward into the legs - so even a compromised weld should not have had the level of force against it that would cause it to shear (emphasis mine)". As stated previously, I am not a welder/fabricator, nor am I an engineer, but I wonder if it is really possible to use this device in the field without creating lateral forces on the leg unit. If the pic below (posted earlier by Shawnee Bill) shows the device used correctly (and other pics posted all seem to show it set up this way), it seems to me that during the lift force might be applied in a direction other than downward. Likely enough force to break an inferior weld (which several have stated they felt the pics showed). Any physicists, engineers or others who play with vectors who can comment?
    [​IMG]
  7. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi flei - the hoist is designed to the transmit the force downwards, but needs to be placed vertically (or as close to it as possible) to do so. If the feet are positioned too far away at the start, it moves the lifting stress to the middle of the hoist which it's not designed for.

You want to position the base / "feet" as close as possible to the downed motorcycle, with the hook at the center balance point of the bike (typically rider footpeg or sidestand pivot point, although this will vary by model). The welded strap-routing ring attached to the upper section helps guide the strap vertically, and the strap itself acts as a "virtual lever". As the bike is drawn up and the full weight shifts from the hoist back to the bike's wheels, leverage will diminish with the hoist and the "handle" of your virtual lever will start to tilt forward. At this point, the bike is now upright enough that it can be fully righted by placing your hip against the seat and putting the bike on the sidestand. The hoist can then be disassembled and stowed for it's next use.

The video below shows the correct setup and the hoist in action - you can see the "feet" are positioned as closely as possible to the bike, and as the ratchet is operated, the bike is drawn closer and lifted towards the hoist by the strap.

Hope that helps - any other questions, or if you'd like to pick up a hoist for yourself (bad pun somewhat intended :D), please let me know.

Best Regards,
  8. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Thanks! That is a complete and satisfying answer. As I stated above, I am not an expert, but it makes sense to me that the closer to the bike the feet are placed, the less the stress on the weld. I appreciate your responses to nimrod's issues and my questions and look forward to doing business with you in the future.
  9. nimrod

nimrod Pog Mo Thoin

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]New Y-piece from Adv motorrad. Weld looks more substantial. Thanks Jason for your help in making this happen. I'll get the broken one off to you within the next few days.
    Graydale and Mr. Fisherman like this.
  10. nimrod

nimrod Pog Mo Thoin

Oddometer:
    And thank all you guys for your knowledge and support.
    Night_Wolf and Graydale like this.
  11. zigyphoto

zigyphoto PAY ATTENTION Supporter

Oddometer:
    "...not consistent with regular use...? Sounds like they're saying that anything other than a parking lot or a level muddy spot would not be covered?
    If they're going to sell this thing it should withstand almost any verticalization use -- unless you used a rock as a fulcrum and this gizmo as a lever; is that what you did?

How about more info about how this broke? Pix of your attempted recovery? I'm considering one, but...

thanks

z
  12. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Zigyphoto - actually, off-camber, gravel, or muddy conditions, particularly where it's difficult to get enough traction to lift the bike yourself, is where the Dustriders lift excels. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about the hoist and/or usage - feel free to call the shop at (585) 310-ADVM or send an email.

Thanks!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    You know what are the two best presents you can give to your loved one (or yourself) for the holidays?

Independence and peace of mind. Thankfully, we've got just the present for you! :D

After brisk sales earlier in the month cleared out our inventory, we just received another shipment of Dustriders hoists from South Africa and have them in stock and ready to ship from our warehouse in NY. I have no problem staying late or coming in tomorrow to ensure we can get them out the door and received before Christmas.

Any questions, feel free to call the shop at (585) 310-ADVM, email me, or send a PM.

Thanks!
  14. phreakingeek

phreakingeek Big Ear Inc - Virginia Provider Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are there any advrider inmate discounts available?

15. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi phreakingeek - we offer the best price possible on our products at all times on our site, so you don't have to go hunt down the latest promo code!

That said, unfortunately there is a slight price increase coming, largely due to increased cost in freight from South Africa. Each year the freight companies (international and domestic) raise their rates, and while I absorbed last year's increase, this year's is going to necessitate a nominal change from $249.99 to $269.99 with our new incoming shipment. I've checked rates with all carriers from SA to be able to bring this in less expensively and couldn't find any better options.

To help ease the pain of anyone that was planning on getting a hoist for this season, I'm going to offer a discount/coupon code good for this next shipment only to get the price back to the 2016 rate of $249.99. Simply add a hoist to your cart, click the Shopping Cart button in the top right corner, and then click the 'Enter a Coupon Code' button. Enter LASTCALL (all caps) to get the $20 discount. :D

Once this shipment is sold out, the code will expire and the new 2017 rate of $269.99 will be in effect. There are a limited number of hoists that aren't spoken for on the incoming shipment, so if you've been on the fence and want to get it at the 2016 price, now's your chance! The shipment is expected to arrive at our dock in mid to late March and pre-orders will be shipped immediately.

Any questions, please email me or call the shop at (585) 310-ADVM.

Thanks....
  16. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yesterday, I had to use mine for the first time. It worked as advertised and prevented me from having to call my son to come help me. :thumb
    rotaryracer likes this.
  17. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi NJ-Bill - thanks for the feedback! The Dustriders hoist is the tool you hope you never have to unpack, but if you do, it makes short work of solving the problem. :)

For those considering a hoist, our next shipment (Customs willing) is due either Wednesday or Thursday of this week. All pre-orders will be filled first, at which point we'll update remaining stock on the website.

Thanks!
  18. SuchesRider

SuchesRider Just Do It! Supporter

Oddometer:
    For those of you already using this tool, please share pics of how you are carrying it on your bike(s).
  19. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. SuchesRider

SuchesRider Just Do It! Supporter

Oddometer: