"Devil's Staircase" Pro Hillclimb Oct. 10

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Woodsrat, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Woodsrat

Woodsrat Gone ridin'

Oddometer:
    The 61st running of the "Devil's Staircase" professional hillclimb is this Sunday, Oct. 10 at 1:00. Supposedly they've changed the hill into something challenging (finally!!) and it ought to be a helluva show. They draw incredible crowds and sell beer by the GALLON.:freaky

Anyway with highs in the 80's predicted it's going to be an exceptionally nice day and I'm planning on riding the WoodsWing over. If anyone wants to join me holler.
  2. KneeKicker

KneeKicker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't ride to it,but if I'm walking better I would like to go over.

Is it standing only or could a guy squeeze in a chair close to the action?

Guess I will need a DD with gallon beer :freaky
  3. RoadDad

RoadDad n13ub Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Tim---Remember who, what, when, and where. If i wasn't going to the Falling Leaf Rally at Potosi the hill climb would be great. But you are just teasing me, aren't you?:evil
  4. oPAULo

oPAULo jack of all terrain Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ya where???
  5. Woodsrat

Woodsrat Gone ridin'

Oddometer:
    It's located near beautiful downtown Oregonia, OH which is about halfway between Cincinnati and Dayton, OH. Go to http://www.daytonmc.com for pics and more info. From Indy it's about a 2-2 1/2 hour ride.

I love the smell of nitro in the afternoon...
  6. Woodsrat

Woodsrat Gone ridin'

Oddometer:
  7. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    And don't miss the Sauerkraut Festival just up the road in Waynesville.:dg:yum I think its the same weekend as the hillclimb?
  8. patiodadio

patiodadio Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
  9. patiodadio

patiodadio Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
  10. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    Went a few years ago and had an outstanding time! Great weather for it this year :thumb
  11. Woodsrat

Woodsrat Gone ridin'

Oddometer:
    An awesome day for a ride and an incredible turnout of spectators for the hillclimb. The hill is now truly a staircase--the faces of the hill are much steeper than they were and the "steps" are 20-30 feet wide. It's definitely not a pin-it-to-win-it kind of hill anymore and I don't think the pro guys are particularly happy with it.

The club brought a few of the kids who'd won their classes at the amateur nationals in August and the first one (I think he was six years old on a 65cc), even with the changes, went right over--and the crowd went absolutely nuts!!! Right after that another kid on an 85 made a run with a time that was faster than many of the pro guy's first round runs. Embarrassing!! There used to be a rule that didn't allow an amateur event to be held within a certain time period of a professional event at the same hill and the performances by the youngsters illustrated why this rule existed.

The majority of the pro guys simply couldn't get a rhythm going over the steps and their cantankerous nitroburners contributed to the problem. They were having an extremely difficult time of chopping the throttle at the "breakers" and then getting back on the gas. Only the last breaker could be jumped and even then most looked pretty clumsy doing it.

I'm sure the pro guys hated it but it's going to be a perfect hill for next year's amateur nationals.