Dewalts new 12V brushless tools

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Got_Carbs?, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Got_Carbs?

Got_Carbs? Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Picked up this set. Loving these little fellas especially the in the hand feel. Yeah they are way behind the ball compared to Milwaukee. Any one else pick up one of these Dewalt 12V brushless tools?

dewalt12vbushless.jpg
  2. Got_Carbs?

Oddometer:
    Damn I'm the only one. Everyone must be on the M12 wagon.
  3. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    They look like what I have looking for, not too big. Ideal for tight spaces.

The US price is half the cheapest I can find here.
  4. Got_Carbs?

Oddometer:
    Yeah they are cheap over here. Only available in stores at Lowes though. $149 for the combo kit (with 2 batteries, a charger, and bag). Or $99 for each tool with 2 batteries, charger, and bag.
    nickguzzi likes this.
  5. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    £259 is cheapest I could find here or $323!
    Got_Carbs? likes this.
  6. Got_Carbs?

Oddometer:
    That is a big nope, wouldn't buy at that price.

How much do M12 Fuel combo kits sell for where you live?
    nickguzzi likes this.
  7. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    MILWAUKEE M12FPP2A-202C 2 PIECE GEN2 M12 FUEL POWER PACK is £269 or $336. probably a better deal. But for the use mine gets, I stick with my old Bosch pro stuff.
    Got_Carbs? likes this.
  8. mikejjmay

mikejjmay Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems like a lot of people like the 12v over 20v these days. Any reason why? They are priced comparably if you catch a sale, etc. Honestly just curious
  9. CA_Strom

CA_Strom Cunning Linguist Supporter

Oddometer:
    With over 100 tools now in the M12 lineup,DeWalt has a tough sell here. As much as I like my DeWalt 20v lio stuff, I’m sticking with M12 for all new stuff.
    mode12 likes this.
  10. BluByU

BluByU Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The one at work died, so YA I ordered one of the DW brushless. Mighty fine feel, batteries seem to last, and no smell of ozone. Hey the Company paid for it and I like it.
  11. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lighter and easier to throw around. The power output is enough for a lot of tasks. I have 12v and 18v. I reach for the 12v first and it gets the job done 95% of the time.
    mode12 and Got_Carbs? like this.
  12. Got_Carbs?

Oddometer:
    Yinzer Moto was spot on.

dewalt12vxt.jpg

The M12 line definitely offers more variety of tools and are more powerful (comes with the higher price). These Dewalts were just released 2-3 months ago. They have a long, long way to go to catch up.

I was sold after holding them in Lowes and had no prior commitment to any 12v line (wasn't even looking for 12v tools). IMO it feels more comfortable, better balanced, than the M12.
  13. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    i thought the 12V was gone forever and was bummed,,,, i have a 12v impact thats i dunno 8-9yrs old? still works great but the batteries were shot, i was down to one and it only held charge for a litle bit. i havent checked yet if the new battery fits my old tool, but i hope so.

anyone try the "ATOMIC" dewalt?
  14. Got_Carbs?

Oddometer:
    I saw the Atomic at HomeDepot but they had none on display to try. The reviews on Youtube aren't too positive, complaints about size (not much smaller) and underpowered compared to typical 20vs.
  15. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    We're all getting older/more arthritic - if not now, then soon.
    Lighter and more compact stuff certainly fits in with my usage for the foreseeable future. Plus while we all have some hardass screw or bolt now and then, far far more often delicacy is more important, for me.
  16. Grinder

Grinder Wrong way 'round

Oddometer:
    For tools that still work but the batteries are dead, try amazon. I bought a Chinese battery pack for my Ryobi that was better than original. Really inexpensive. I’ve had it. A year now and it’s done well. I’m not a tradesman so I can appreciate someone might need something with more recognition and support but I’m happy with what I got
  17. justdirtyfun

justdirtyfun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have both Dewalt and Milwaukee available on employee prices. But have yet to pull the trigger on either line. Once I do and commit to one, it will decide a lot of other tools down the road.
    What customers have told me is Milwaukee is ahead on features and quality. But when on a job and your battery quits, your partner might have a Dewalt, so at THAT MOMENT you might be glad to have Dewalt as well.
  18. Got_Carbs?

Oddometer:
    Can't say I'd trust the quality control of those aftermarket batteries. Don't the OEMs have fancy protection circuitry that aftermarket would lack?
  19. p0diabl0

p0diabl0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Might not be a good idea for Milwaukee or Makita but I wouldnt hesitate for Ryobi batteries. Can't be much worse than OEM :rofl
    I have M12 stuff for general use (impact driver, drill, socket wrench) and Ryobi 18v for all the stuff I don't use too often like an angle grinder or reciprocating saw. Most of those I have corded versions of still.
  20. jasonmt

jasonmt Long timer

Oddometer:
    The thing that tipped us to Dewalt is that we are a industrial user so while Milwaukee and Dewalt/B&D both have local factory repair and service facilities Milwaukee's Lightning Max Repair Program is ~1.8 to 2.0X more expensive than comparable Dewalt GRC pricing. When you send 50+ pieces a year in for repair (mostly 6" corded grinders as we have lots of them) it starts to add up. Most of the cordless stuff we use is high draw so we tend to stay in the 60V line as much as possible as the 60V batteries work in the 20V tools (3/4" impact etc.) as well.
    CA_Strom likes this.