Dezert Skills to be tested

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by cribaby, Feb 10, 2009.

1. cribaby

cribaby Dirt/Street? No Wait Dirt

Oddometer:
    I want a ride in your new toy. I really want to drive.
  2. sopascat

sopascat not much of an adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I keep saying, as long as Joel can claim he's a noob, I can too:rofl

I had a great time!, I wish I had done skills with Jeff, too, somehow the ride on Saturday went a little longer than I expected, but I ended up doing some stuff that I wasn't sure I could handle.... all in all it was really confidence building
  3. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :ddog can't you come up with your own excuse?............:baby and don't you get it, i'm trying to sandbag.....:wink:
  4. STU CAZZO

STU CAZZO Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Cool toy Jeff!!! I don't know where where I came up with "Steve"....Grasshopper!! Sorry brother and thanks again for the skillz!!
  5. NSFW

Oddometer:
    charlie, thanks for posting the pics and get a smug you cheap b%#@*!, though you did a great job of getting everyone back to the camp all in one piece...:thumb

here's one from bic...the desert was blooming. cribaby picked the best date...:clap
    [​IMG]
  6. cribaby

Oddometer:
    Yea that's my next MC purchase. We got lucky with the wild flower and the fact that the bug hatch weren't crawing all over us.

Attached Files:

7. cribaby

Oddometer:
    Hey Joel,
    I forgot to say thanks for returning the tow strap, also there was a carabiner attached that was not mine. Who's ever loaned it to Joel please post up and I will get it back to you.

I think I posted up pictures of everyone but "loner" as everytime I would stop he was right there so no pictures of him.

Here's another pic from Sunday - sopascat skillz must have improve as I think she is trying to find a route up this!!!!

Attached Files:

8. NSFW

Oddometer:
    oh yeah...the tow strap...:lol3

charles...thanks again for letting me use the tow strap...:wave

who's caribinier it is then?????:ear
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Racinace

Racinace Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Jeff... You didn't cover towing 101???
    Dude....
    Looks like fun. I'll try to make the next one to give you a hand.
  10. El Zorrillo

El Zorrillo charity case

Oddometer:
    me and jon (riddler 990) both finished the cal-poly penguins dual-sport ride yesterday. i couldn't find a thread on it, so i'm posting a report here.

2 words: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

the club had everything marked very well; to the point we really didn't need the roll chart (good thing, because mine tore in half about 15 miles in) or gps tracks. it also helped that over 330 folks showed up, so we weren't very lonely. but it wasn't a total clusterf---, the really fast guys went off and did their thing, and everyone else just putted around at whatever pace was good for them. no jerks in the bunch.

at first, we were put off by the stupid amount of pavement, and then what amounted to crappy fire roads. i was about to start griping to jon about this, and that's when it finally got interesting. we finally got into some awesome single-track that ran around a bunch of ridgeline, then through washes and canyons.

when we were starting to get thirsty and hungry---bingo! right at the 75 mile mark, it was BBQ lunchtime. and the "penguins" busted their humps to set us up with some great brats and tri-tip sandwiches, drinks, and all the side-dishes until we were stuffed. then they gassed up our bikes (included in the $75 entry fee, along with the great lunch) and even offered us a massage therapy gal to work out any problems up to that point. no, it was all above board, you perverts.:lol3

after lunch, we had about 40 more challenging miles left to go. before the lunch break, there were some "easy" and "hard" option trails to take, and the first couple of hard trails i took definitely left something to be desired.

well, after lunch, the diabolical bastards who put the ride together decided that "hard" routes were truly going to be HARD. jon was smart, and didn't follow me into those sections. mayhem ensued, for sure. nothing impossible, just really, really challenging.

since jon had a video cam that recorded the entire ride, i got a bit lazy with the camera. so i'm going to try to post the few pics i took yesterday. but as soon as i can get the video edited down to some highlights, i'll make sure to post here, or add a link so you guys can see what a cool ride this was. put it on your calendars for next year!
    [​IMG]
  11. El Zorrillo

El Zorrillo charity case

Oddometer:
    ok, i'm a lamewad and my computer won't let me download the pics i have. i'll just have to wait for the video. sorry.
  12. Riddler990

Riddler990 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tom, you should'a started a new thread / ride report for this rather than tag onto the desert skillz thread. maybe repost it? I can upload video later.
  13. El Zorrillo

El Zorrillo charity case

Oddometer:
    i got a pm from joel suggesting i do exactly this.

so there.:D
  14. El Zorrillo

El Zorrillo charity case

Oddometer:
  15. NSFW

Oddometer:
    :wave tom and jon...you guys have been riding with us for a couple of times and don't be shy posting your rides in the l.a. weekend ride if you don't want to start a new thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318376&page=417

that thread is for anyone belonging to the local community to post their ride and share with everyone. unfortunately, there was no exciting post last weekend, and your report will surely fill in that void...:tb
  16. ktmbmw

ktmbmw Not ridden in a while... I shall return.

Oddometer:
    This happened to me during my first ride on my KTM. Those plastic guards flex easily when dropped. Now I have metal ones, now just waiting to see them work in action.
    (BTW: great thread, looked like a fun time.)
  17. cribaby

Oddometer:
    It's Dads B-Day Sat Oct 30 and we're going to ride at Cal City with his brother who's an old 60's dirt skidder - if anyone is interested in some early season dezert skills training then I be happy to host a weekend campout and offer some time practicing sandwash and whoop drills on Sat - We'll do a loop on Friday & Sunday intermedite mid fast type of skid
  18. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer:
    Sounds awesome, Charlie. I'd love to ride with you and your dad again.
  19. loner

loner explorer

Oddometer:
    Me too. I'll try to make it, it's going to be a busy month.
  20. notmybikemodelname

notmybikemodelname KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer:
    Maybe i'll shoot out for a beer or two with you on Saturday and wish Papa Cribaby Happy B-day:freaky