DickyB's Turkish Delights

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Dickyb, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Dickyb

Dickyb Bewildered Adventurer

Oddometer:
    .........With the weather forecast not to improve we decided to head south and see what eastern Turkey had to offer. Plenty, as it turned out. :clap
    First stop was the ancient ruined Armenian city of Ani

[​IMG]

The city of a hundred gates

[​IMG]

and a thousand churches

[​IMG]

At one time Ani was home to over 200,000 and such was the magnificence and size of the place that it had no match in the west. In the east the city gave Cairo, Baghdad and Constantinople a run for their money. The Mongol raids, a severe earthquake in 1319 and the advent of Tamerlane eventually destroyed the city forever:cry A splendid place to wander for a couple of hours soaking in the atmosphere

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Geographically we were about 30 miles east of where we had been 10 days ago but we had to travel about 240 miles to get here. Then we were in Armenia, now we were in Turkey. With no open border between Armenia and Turkey we had to gain access via Georgia:huh. Bloody politics!

The site of Ani itself is next to the Armenian/Turkish border and the watchtowers and barracks of Armenia border guards can be clearly seen as you bimble about.

[​IMG]

Our next stop was Doğuybayazıt, or "Doggy Biscuit" as it is sometimes referred to, passing Mt Ararat on the way. Still covered in cloud :cry

[​IMG]

Doğuybayazıt is the rather drab frontier town which serves as a crossing point from Turkey into Iran. We were there to see the pleasure palace of Ishak Paşa

[​IMG]

Built in around 1800 by Ishak who was a feudal overlord the palace dominated the lucrative silk caravan routes from its vantage point on the hillside. We got there at closing time so had to settle with a view from above :wink:

[​IMG]

2. banger 115

banger 115 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Dave,

enjoying the pictures & write up keep up the good work..

PG from the rainy UK :wink:
  3. PHILinFRANCE

PHILinFRANCE Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bloody smashing Dicky, i'm planning on getting over that way next springish :clap
    Phil
  4. asilindean

asilindean Adrian

Oddometer:
    Great trip, beautiful places, nice pics and a grey storyteller :clap:clap

It seams to me that you enjoyed your trip :)

Keep it coming.

Where to next?
  5. asilindean

asilindean Adrian

Oddometer:
    This is front page material :clap:clap

[​IMG]
  6. Dickyb

Oddometer:
    Long time no hear Phil. Drop by if and when you are in the area:super

Cheers,

DickyB
  7. Dickyb

Oddometer:

Hi Adrian,

You might have read another of my writings "Fifty Shades of Grey" :wink:

Trip was great thanks, though to be honest we did prefer the Bulgaria/Romania trip earlier in the year. More culture, better food, good hotels at decent prices and friendlier folk oh, and superb scenery. Most of Georgia and Armenia just seemed well f......d to be honest.

Where next? No idea yet. Toying with Slovenia and the Czech Republic then down the Adriatic coast but nothing firm.

All the best to you and your mum from us two :freaky
  8. Dickyb

Oddometer:
    ...........Then it was off round Lake Van

[​IMG]

to Van. Famous for its cats with different coloured eyes and webs between their paws. These cute kitties love to swim, apparently

[​IMG]

At the western end of Lake Van is a town called Tatvan. Overlooking Tatvan is

[​IMG]

an extinct volcano with a lake in the middle of it :eek1

[​IMG]

600kms to the west we stopped at another Nemrut

[​IMG]

Nemrut Dogi :wink:

[​IMG]

Four weeks, four thousand miles. Think I'll put the kettle on :thumb

Cheers,

Dickyb
  9. TonsOfFun

TonsOfFun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fantastic report and great photos, thanks for sharing.
  10. Dickyb

Oddometer:
  11. Dickyb

Oddometer:
    Holidays over it was time to blag a quick ride out with Paul to reacquaint myself with the Turkish med. Taurus mountains? Fine by me sir :thumb

[​IMG]

Having trouble maintaining a stiff upper lip:wink:

[​IMG]

So was he :D

[​IMG]

20 degree C at 2240m. 28 degree C an hour south at sea level :eek1

[​IMG]

Sometimes I wonder why I ever go away :wink:

Cheers,

Dickyb
  12. Dickyb

Oddometer:
    Remember this guy VIA MEDITERRA - The journey around the Med with an HP2
    who came visiting with his girlfriend Diana in the summer? Dirk kindly posted me the result of a photo shoot he conducted on the road near our place during his visit. A true Master of the Light :clap

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Dickyb
  13. Gvidon

Gvidon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow very nice. Glad to see you travel into Armenia :D

I am Armenian.
  14. Dickyb

Oddometer:
    Hi TonsOfFun, thank you for the kind words. Thank u 2 to you Gvidon, loved your country. Never seen so many wild birds of prey in their natural habitat.

Cheers,

Dickyb
  15. Dickyb

Oddometer:
    It had been a while since I'd been out to play with the kids. Besides, Mehmet had heard of a new road he wanted to explore. Bayram led off, avoiding water channels from the recent rains

[​IMG]

Mehmet wasn't far behind on his DT125 :wink:

[​IMG]

What started off as me, Mehmet and Burkhard going out for the occasional ride has mushroomed into a group of 20 odd folk bearing the inspired moniker "Kas Enduro Club". Folk come and go and generally ride what they can bring, borrow or bodge. After a couple of hours we stopped at another Mehmet's cousins brothers place:huh for çay and fruit unanounced, as you do:wink: The çay was served by Recep and his piercing blue eyes, not common amongst Turks

[​IMG]

His little sis, Nisa, shared the same genes :eek1

[​IMG]

Lunch finished the newer, less experienced and infinitely more wise biking folk cleared off to enjoy the rest of their Sunday afternoon leaving me Zeki and Bayram to find out what Mehmet had up his sleeve.

Oh, a goat track :super

[​IMG]

with potholes :bmwrider

[​IMG]

and stairs :jump

[​IMG]

and stone walls :lift

[​IMG]

and gorges :gdog

[​IMG]

Zeki and his Big Red Pig :clap

[​IMG]

The kids Mehmet, front left. Zeki mid epileptic fit and Bayram giving me the glad eye on the right :ymca

[​IMG]

And Mehmet's new road? Three hours to travel five kilometres :huh I told him next time I'd take the bus!

Cheers,

Dickyb
  16. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
    i don't think it matters where in the world you go, that dirtbikes turn men into goofballs.... :deal

i mean... it's not really a bad thing....:freaky
  17. tee bee

tee bee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    always great pics! DickyB I looked back at your first few posts and did not see it, so how did you pick Kasaba to move to from GB? Just curious why not some other country or place in Turkey?
  19. Dickyb

Oddometer:
    Couldn't agree more davesupreme :thumb

Good question DCrider. When we were in the UK the Mrs and I both had busy jobs and due to family commitments our biking adventures were limited to two weeks a year. So we would pack up and head off to Europe and see as much as we could, always sub-consciously using the trips as recces for a new home because we didn't want to stay in the UK forever. Anyway, we ended up looking at Greece, Spain, France, Germany, Slovenia, Bulgaria, Portugal, etc, none of which appealed. We very nearly settled on Transylvania in Romania but the winters put us off. Feeling a bit deflated and more or less resigned to staying where we were I got talking to a workmate at a conference we were both at. He had just bought a derelict farmhouse near Kas and was pretty excited about the whole thing. We flew over, loved Kas but didn't want to be on the coast so I flagged down a local lad on a DR650, hired his bike and we went looking around the locality. Juliet saw a field and said that'll do so we bought the field

[​IMG]

and had a house built.

[​IMG]

Eight months after our first visit to Turkey we had sold our UK house, packed in our jobs and moved into our garden here in Turkey because the new house wasn't finished. That was an entertaining three months:wink:

[​IMG]

Since being here we have travelled widely in Turkey and still think we made, for us, the best choice regarding location.

Cheers,

Dickyb
  20. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the insight, sounds like you did your homework and found your paradise. I was in Turkey in Jan '08, visited Antalya and Ephesus among the other usual places, was a bit chilly then but great to have all the tourist places to ourselves, absolutely loved Turkey and your photos make me want to get back and see a lot more off the beaten path.