Did it again. S1000RR touring.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Vegaboy, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Vegaboy

Vegaboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I completed the third good trip on my 2011 s1000rr. This time, a one way solo journey from Winnipeg, Manitoba (former home) to Vancouver, BC (new home). I've done long trips on this bike before and I must say, it's incredibly rewarding. This was the shortest of all my trips on this bike so far, the longest being a scenic 11,500km round trip to Cabo, Mexico. Here's a newspaper article I wrote about that one: https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/travel/Long-and-winding-road-381018241.html

This was the first time I've done a solo journey.

IMG_1834.JPG

Some deets:
    Day 1 - Winnipeg to Minot - 601km's
    Day 2 - Minot to Great Falls - 884km's
    Day 3 - Great Falls, through Glacier National Park, to Vancouver VIA Seattle - 1434km's
    2921km's in 3 days.

I previously used the Ventura bike pack system, but last trip I bent the L brackets (the longest metal bars on either side of the bike). This time, I used those one-size-fits-all OGIO saddlebags and an old Sparco backpack that I owned but never really had a use for. As you can see, it packed up very nicely, thanks to my friend Johns help.

Overall, the trip went smooth. I have an aftermarket (flatter and wider) seat on the bike. After my first trip (Winnipeg - Vancouver - San Fransisco - back), I learned that the shape of the stock seat is HORRIBLE for long hot days of touring. That being said, riding positions on a sport bike are limited. Ass, knee and arm pain WILL be a factor. Aside from that, I battled the heat. As you can see, it was 36C as I passed through Glasgow, Montana (seriously?). I'm not sure what that is in fahrenheit, possibly around 275 or 300. I don't know. It's hot. I was wearing the shell of my BMW touring jacket, which breathes ok while you're moving. But wow, this bike throws heat when you're passing through small towns or stopped for gas.

Did have a little navigation mishap after Glacier Park. See included maps app screenshot. I had selected the northern route across southern Alberta and BC. I hit "go" and was listening to turn by turn instructions from the phone. Well, I guess it defaulted back to the shorter route. Took me about 150km's before I noticed, so I just continued on. Was not thrilled.

Glacier National Park was the highlight of the trip. See photos. I can't wait to ride through again when it's not the busy summer tour season.

190801 glacier 01s.jpg 190801 glacier 02s.jpg

Sportbike touring is a special kind of thing. I ran into some dude while I was checking into my hotel in Minot that wanted to tell me about 80mph wheelies on his CBR, and all I could think of was, "thats great man, but have you ridden more than 2000km's in a single day?"

If you're into wheelies? try sport bike touring. If you're into sport bike touring? GO SPORT BIKE TOURING. Let me know where you go and how the roads were.

Trevor.
    @wpgphotog on instagram

Attached Files:

Shaggie, Jedi5150, bobw and 2 others like this.
  2. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Nice run! The S1000 is an incredibly designed platform and the engine is so versatile, really is underused/appreciated. Good that you're nimble enough to be able do long miles on a sport bike, those days are long gone and my old hide was much happier on my S1000XR ergos rather the R or RR, but still plenty of shared DNA to make me appreciate the extras your bike offers.

Anyway, Hope you enjoy B.C. and all the great riding you have at your doorstep!

Cheers
    Vegaboy likes this.
  3. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    Great ride and excellent photos! I also read the article you linked... Winnipeg to Cabo and back on an S1000RR. Wow! You're my new hero. :lol3:clap All joking aside, that's truly impressive.
    Vegaboy likes this.
  4. Vegaboy

Vegaboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know I will eventually turn to the XR as well. Maybe in the not too distant future. It would be a thrilling long haul machine for sure. I'd also really enjoy the ability to carry some luggage on it a little easier than the RR.
    bobw likes this.
  5. Vegaboy

Vegaboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you! Some days were most accurately described as "agony," but the fun sections and the feeling of accomplishing something really truly stupid made up for it. lol
    oldtouring B, bobw and Jedi5150 like this.