Diesel Motorcycles: They really are kinda cool.

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Banzaibob, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Banzaibob

Banzaibob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the Red Devil. It started out as a 1970 Honda CB350 and a Yanmar L100. Primary is an 18 pitch 2" industrial belt and pulley. The clutch is wet/dry, kinda. Installed a 17 amp Sportster alternator under the flywheel, plenty of electricity for anything. Suffice it to say; So far on surface streets it does a solid 60 mph and gets 175mpg. It is loud, smelly, slow and totally cool. Surprisingly it vibrates very little. Here is the build article I wrote for dieselbike.net. http://www.dieselbike.net/Red_Devil/Red_Devil.htm
    jesusgatos likes this.
  2. OldDog

OldDog non impediti ratione cogitationis

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Thanks for posting that, I've always had a penchant for diesel powered "stuff". I'm enjoying the read and thinking....what could I use hmmmmm
  3. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Thats awesome, any more pics you could share with us as thats a great looking bike.
  4. Frey

Frey motocrossdresser

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3:lol3

Very cool! If we go post apocalyptic I think with your building skills you will do great.
  5. Banzaibob

Oddometer:
    It may take a while to get more pics...it is not allowing me to upload because of size issues.
  6. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    top speed?
  7. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spotted at the Barber Vintage Fest in '09. Twin cylinder Yanmar diesel driving a hydraulic pump and driving both wheels . Forward and reverse.
    The square black tubing is aluminum , so , it's not as heavy as it first appears .
    I talked to the builder who said he'd had it up to 60 mph , forward. He also said if he did it again he'd lose the cruiser stance and aim more for a upright ,dirt bike stance for better control off road.
    XR4EVER likes this.
  8. Banzaibob

Oddometer:
    The Red Devil will do about 60mph tops. It pulls modest hills at 35-40mph. I tried to put a RHB31 turbocharger on it. It is simply too small an engine and has too low of a redline to work effectively. If I could make it rev to 6000rpm I might see some boost but the valves would float well before that.

I am looking for another diesel engine to build a bike around. I figure that a typically 25hp engine on middleweight chassis could result in a bike that could reliably cruise the interstate at 80mph tops and still get over 60mpg.
  9. Banzaibob

Oddometer:
    Resized

Attached Files:

10. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nicely done.
  11. tntmo

tntmo Oops, I did it again.

Oddometer:
    I didn't think it would be interesting to me, but I'm intrigued. Cool stuff, well done!
  12. Banzaibob

Oddometer:
    When I first built the bike I was thinking specifically about taking to shows and events to so I could say I built it. I had visions of chroming it out a little bit and trying to impress people through bling. The entire concept is unique.

However, as time went on I found out the the damn thing was stone reliable. Since I've finished it over two years ago, I've probably put about 6000 miles on it, all local. I welded some panier mounts to it and fixed some 20mm cannon ammo cans as saddlebags. With those and bungee cords for the luggage rack I can haul damn near anything that I can put in a small car. The thought behind this is why put those local convenience store/bank/post office miles on a $20,000 bike?

This picture was taken a couple of days ago and is more representative of it's workhorse nature.

Attached Files:

ryder1 likes this.
  13. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why not use the diesel engine from on of those ARTIC CAT diesel ATV's.

Are those decent engines?
  14. Banzaibob

Oddometer:
    I would love to have an engine out of a diesel ATV. The only problem is cost. I probably forgot to mention that the Red Devil probably cost less than $800. The engine I have been thinking about is actually a China Diesel 28hp V-twin. They are sold under various names; WinSun, PunSun, even Carrol Stream. They list for about $1500. I have also thought about getting one out of a semi-truck APU.

Diesel by nature is probably 75% more or less than gas when it comes to different measures. A 35hp motorcycle engine weighs 125lbs. A typical 35hp diesel utility engine weighs twice that if not more. That 35hp gas engine makes it 35hp at 5000rpm with a redline of 8000rpm. My 10hp diesel makes almost as much torque but makes its peak hp at 1900prm with a 3000 redline. Not to mention, small Diesels being so robust, I'll bet that a purpose built diesel ATV engine costs $9000.
  15. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

H-D repowered with a three cylinder Kubota tractor motor. Chain primary to the H-D clutch and tranny.
    ArdenLoneWolf likes this.
  16. RustyStuff

RustyStuff Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, I never quite expected that^.:lol3
  17. Drwnite

Drwnite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Diesel bikes are indeed interesting, which prompted a search and I found these......

Track T-800CDI diesel motorcycle made by E.V.A. Products BV Holland. It has some impressive specs: 0 to 100 kph (0 to 62 mph) in just 3.75 seconds, a CVT transmission (with 6 programmed "gears"), and an average of about 100 MPG (US) at 90 kph (56 mph). And since the engine is a 800 cc inline 3-cylinder diesel, there's the possibility of using biodiesel to further reduce well-to-wheels CO2 emissions (especially if its sourced from waste cooking oil or algae).

This bike currently costs 17,500 euro according to this page of the Dutch version of the website.

Cheers Dave <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
    <FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND> [​IMG]

[​IMG]

</FIELDSET>
    Cool :-)

http://www.dieselmotorcycles.com/

This splendid machine is up for sale on UK Ebay,

&apos;FARNSLEY-WAZZOCK HEAVY OIL THUNDERBLAST MKI&apos; DIESEL POWERED VELOCIPEDE PROJECT | eBay

One for the Vego's

VegiBike, veg oil and diesel fueled engine, classic Royal Enfield motorbike by Harry Lyon-Smith
  18. Banzaibob

Oddometer:
    Yes, I've seen this bike and have salivated over it for years. I think that it uses a purpose built engine, not a converted Dihatsu.

As far as biodiesel goes; if I am going to a get together or bike show of some sort, I will stop at the grocery store first and buy a half gallon of vegetable oil. I drop it right in the tank and go on my merry way. By the time I get to the event.....french fries! In the summer time when ambient temperature are high, you can run all sort of bio-based fuels (temporarily). Using waste oil however requires filtering and using a substance called methoxide (basically lye and methanol) to remove the glycerin. If you don't remove the glycerin, over time it will foul up your injectors and pumps.
    scot_douglas likes this.
  19. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed reading about your efforts. Looks surprisingly "normal". Thanks for sharing.

This did the rounds in Europe a few years ago.

The Dutch guys did a lot of work. but...
    http://www.gizmag.com/go/4273/
    Nice motor, out of the VW Lupo 3 litre car. Thats 3 litres per 100km, 3 quarts for 62 miles, 78mpgUS, in the car. I think they spooked it up a bit.

The Diesel Smart car is not so far off.
    http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/smart/fortwo/first-drives/smart-fortwo-cdi-passion

I'm sure you could get one of ebay.eu
  20. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will first admit that I have little experience with small diesels but in my mind, on a adv type bike, I would only want to tolerate the quirkiness of a diesel powerplant on a bike that has a side car.

Maybe buy a busted Ural and drop a smart car motor in it. :)