Diesel Motorcycles: They really are kinda cool.

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Banzaibob, Feb 17, 2015.

1. neil w

neil w Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure if the US get the Subaru diesels but their 4 cylinder turbo diesel boxer motor can easily make 130 bhp plus and would be an ideal candidate to fit into an oilhead bmw chassis (physically the motor is tiny)
  2. Krasniewski

Krasniewski I don't ride much.

Oddometer:
    Interesting article - I think that bike's success will rely completely on cost. Not that it would ever make it to the states, but it would make a sweet pit bike!
  3. Krasniewski

Oddometer:
  4. Hughlysses

Hughlysses Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea, I'm thinking something was lost in the translation. 150cc seems insanely (and needlessly) small, especially for a diesel.
  5. Krasniewski

Oddometer:
    Especially in four strokes, 150cc is pretty common in the scooter market. The diesel will provide plenty of power where you need it and the fuel efficiency will be the bonus. The generator aspect is pretty cool too. Diesel's aren't cheap though, so I'm guessing price is really the only limiting factor, especially considering where this would actually be sold.
  6. rodteague

rodteague Enjoying the ride

Oddometer:
    Anyone know a source for small diesel engines here in the US? The usual internet culprits have only a small offering which consist of mostly Kohler. I'd like to explore the the japanese; Tiawanese and Chinese offerings, but keep coming up w/ goose eggs.

Regards

Rod
  7. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:

Their claim of 25 ft lb @1600 rpm would give it 7.6 hp @ 1600 rpm.
  8. Pete640

Pete640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about the diesels acting as a generator and having 2 elec hub motors.
    Negates the need for gearboxes, chains/drives, and a host of other stuff.
    Smart management elecs will add traction control and limit front wheel spin.
    Perfect for dunes and the desert whilst being efficient
  9. Banzaibob

Banzaibob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 10hp f186 Yanmar clone is probably the most readily available small diesel that is out there right now. They are stupid simple and ridiculously easy to work on and even tune. The engine for the Red Devil is straight out of a generic 7000 watt generator. Although the engine is suited for a short commuter/errand bike it is seriously lacking in highway horsepower. I would only venture on an interstate if I was going a short distance (55-60mph, tops).

There is a website called a1biofuel.net (http://a1biofuel.net/index.html) that sells these Yanmar clones as well as a 22hp V-twin. I know that they had issues with importing these engine because they were not up to bullshit EPA emission regulations but it appears that they are back in business.
  10. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would a diesel from a Kubota tractor be a good candidate, mated to a OD Harley trans, in a Harley tourer frame. I only chose Harley due to the trans already having a location, easy enough to mount the engine where you need it, still use a belt driven primary and all.:ear

Maybe a VW TDI drivetrain even, it or a Wing has enough real estate to mount up the ECU even. You could mount aux. fuel cells in place of the saddlebags and pull a trailer for all your luggage and stuff. You'd have MASSIVE range with that!:evil

Hell, you could get one of the little mypod travel trailers and be homeless!:lol3:lol3:clap No mortgage baby!!:clap:clap

Sounds like a feasible retirement plan, see the country AND have a comfy place to sleep.:wink:
  11. OldDog

OldDog non impediti ratione cogitationis

Oddometer:
    Not a bad idea Pete, I'd file that under "sane diesel solutions" not really my thing. :D

Since starting reading this I've been casually looking for some form of long stroke single cylinder with a big ass flywheel. As a young bloke I mucked about with fishing boats, a lot of the net boats had home made diesels using old car parts eg "Southern Cross", "Billy Olds" and so forth, typically stationery type motors like the Listers (although they are way too big and heavy) something like that but with more grunt would be ideal coupled up to a separate gearbox. Imagine riding that, it'd probably fire once every 100 yards :lol3
  12. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  13. Byrdman

Byrdman Fat guy on a little bike!

Oddometer:
    Bob, great thread, just love the Red Devil. Is it okay if I post this on the Diesel Powered Motorcycle Facebook page?

That full hydraulic bike terrifies me though. Imagine if the power shut down at 60mph! Hydraulic motors don't "free wheel" well at all, I would think that the same mechanical advantage that makes hydraulics so wonderful would also shut down tire rotation in a jiffy! Two wheeled, 60mph drfiting!!!!!!!!!!
  14. Banzaibob

Oddometer:
    Please do!

The one thing that I have forgotten to ask during this entire thread is; does anybody have an old Kubota lawntractor, old semi truck APU unit, or wrecked Smart Car lying around?
  15. Banzaibob

Oddometer:
    Also as to hydraulics; I considered it. However unless you have an unlimited amount of intelligence, money and time (I'm disqualified on all counts) part of your construction regimen needs to be simplicity. I had to do a complete tear-down on the Red Devil because of transmission issues a couple of months a ago. Engine came out, trans came out, repaired, replaced, reassembled in 24 hours.
  16. Byrdman

Byrdman Fat guy on a little bike!

Oddometer:

I assume that you're looking for a small diesel engine? How small is really the question?
  17. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    One way bearings.

Sean :bmwrider
  18. FLX

FLX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    seems like a great idea
  19. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know it's kinda out of place, but I've been kicking around the idea of getting a VW diesel as the power train for a 2wd hack.
    With a newer one you can get more power from chips, that'd be more than enough juice for a hack.
    Put a hitch on it, get an offroad camper, and go have a ball!:evil
    The CV joints should work fine, just thinking out loud.:rofl:rofl
  20. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:

Need some inspiration pic's ?

1.6 VW diesel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    DR790 likes this.