Diez Desperados...a baja ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by mx813, Mar 28, 2021.

1. mx813

mx813 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah yes...finally I can start crafting a ride report (well pre-ride at the moment but we will be in Baja soon enough) now that we are T-3 days from departure from the Pacific North'wet'.

Like everyone in the world, a lot of uncertainty, curiousness, disbelief and an urge to get on living and keep doing the things we enjoy...a trip to Baja was in order. My last 4 trips have always been over the President Day and week (I have off) and this year I hadn't even planned on going to Baja. With Covid and our state being one of the most locked down (California is ahead at this point) some discussions amongst friends starting being kicked back and forth in the early fall for an April trip as a back plan in case our motorcycle club, Stumpjumpers, marquee race - The Desert 100, was canceled.

Rough dates and trip route quickly outlined last fall, we sat back and waited until the new year and what might happen in terms of restrictions, gatherings, etc... The Desert 100 race draws a crowd from 4500 to 6000, which half do a poker ride on Saturday and roughly 1000 racers starting on 2 waves Sunday. You can imagine the logistics to comply with any sort of covid restrictions, this race was going to be difficult to put on. Having been a former race chairman of this race, I knew our current race chairman @MasterMarine had some difficult decisions to make. (and last year too.) Unfortunately, the decision to cancel the race was made.

With that...Diez Desperados Baja 2021 trip starting to quickly take shape. yosemitesam.jpg
  2. mx813

mx813 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    T-0

8 riders and 2 chase drivers - all good friends. Forecast is looking stellar (but that means dust but living in WA...the winter drags on you.)

3 Baja rookies, a couple 2nd timers and some veteran riders. We have 2 trucks driving down and leaving one with the trailer locked up at our first hotel for the week. Why have 1 chases driver when you can have 2. It'll make their trip more interesting. Us riders...all experienced and most importantly, all have rode together many times throughout the year. We know our strengths. We all get along easy. It's a good vibe.

Route...Ensenada down the coast for 2 days, then Catavina, BOLA, Gonzaga, VD'T and back to Ensenada. Multiple options each day depending on hangover level or ????

Several new hotels we are staying in (new to us.) Some familiar ones...
    liv2day, dano619 and advrockrider like this.
  3. mx813

mx813 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Started with 2 bikes in south King County, WA and ended up with 4 in Bend, OR and some gear. IMG_7440.JPG
    slogger, liv2day, Foiler and 2 others like this.
  4. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh hell yeah @mx813! Cannot wait to follow along and I'm damn envious man.

Knobby side down and safe travels as you make your way to the border and then the enjoyment that is riding Baja.
  5. Moto Vaquero

Moto Vaquero Trail less traveled

Oddometer:
    Well your ride is probably about over now, How was it?
    I haven't done a real ride down there for 2 years and I'm totally jonesing!

Did you guys get out Asamblea way? I haven't done it yet but it awaits me.

What new hotels did you guys find? Any good?