1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Differences in 955i tigers?

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by gusable, Nov 4, 2014.

1. gusable

gusable Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been told 99-01 tigers are some of the better ones to have
    How does an 06 compare? Typically when a model
    Of car or bike gets older in its run they fix problems with updates etc
    I've found a 06 tiger with 40k I'm interested in but don't
    Know their problems. Yhanks
  2. srelegante

srelegante srelegante Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try TigerTriple.com or TriumphRat.Net

You can get lost on those sites and find anything you want.

The 2006 was the last year of the 955i series. Biggest difference was the cast wheels vs. the spoked wheels of the earlier models.

Look for updated gas tank fittings-the stocker are cheap plastic and prone to failure. Also be prepared to update/change out the regulator/rectifier and possibly the stator-they are known weak points.

Those sites go into extensive detail.

I just bought back my 2002 model-never should have sold it! :freaky

Drop me a note if I can help.

Curt
  3. motorat

motorat Is it raining

Oddometer:
    99-2001 i think were fuel injected 885 design, similar to the 900 trophy, thunderbird, trident (if i remember correctly)
    2001-2004 are all the same. i know the 01-02 had charging issues...at least my 02 did
    05 is kind of all by itself. better charging and cast wheels
    06 had a little different engine design...a anti-backlash something or other and was more like a 1050

there was an article when the 1050 came out chronicling the tiger from 1995(steamer) to 2006 and they said the 2005 was the best. I had a 2002 and a 2005 and really liked the 2005 alot more than the 2002.
    mainly for the cast wheels and no charging issues.
    the 2006 is a very good bike and will serve you well
  4. gusable

gusable Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very good info!
  5. Dyn Blin

Dyn Blin Irn Bru Lover

Oddometer:
    I have an '05, wouldn't trade it for anything. The minor issues with fuel fittings and rectifier mods are easy fixes and once sorted, you're done for good. The '06 has minor differences that result in a bit smoother shifting, and bottom end was built for the 1050 in prep the following year model revamp. Some hose reroutes make for a cleaner engine look, but any Tiger is a good Tiger in that spread of years.

+1 on the TriumphRat.net, great depth of knowledge and an ever patient moderator always willing to help.
  6. srelegante

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind-the reg/rec, stator and fuel fittings are about $300 in parts. With labor, maybe $550 installed.

None of them are very hard to fix.

One other note-the factory suspension is anemic, especially for her girth. At a minimum, upgraded front springs are vital. I had Traxxion do my forks and put a new Hagon shock in the rear. Difference is nite and day.

Plenty of guidance out there.

I still believe that the 955 Tiger, with all it's shortcomings is one of the finest bikes out there.

SE
  7. ArchRider

ArchRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2001 was the first year for fuel injection. That is the model I have and love. 1999-2006 are the models referred to as the Girlies. The 885 carbureted Steamer was the model before 1999.
    They are correct about the suspension. It is a bit squishy for its weight (pushing 600 lbs). You can get bettersprings for the forks ($200-300) and a new rear shock ($600) and I would recommend searching tigertriple.com for info on those items.
    All of the items listed above (reg/rec, stator, fuel fittings) are replaceable by a shade-tree mechanic. Again, I would recommend checking tigertriple because they have links as to where you can get better than OEM parts.

Enjoy that Tiger! With a little care, it will last nearly forever and offer plenty of fun. Just remember, Tigers like to lay down. If it doesn't already have some, get some good crash bars.

Paul
  8. motorat

motorat Is it raining

Oddometer:
    1999 was the first for FI

http://www.hermys.com/triumph/tiger/1999/

you are correct on the crash bars i tested mine out on both my tigers
  9. ArchRider

ArchRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, motorat. You are right about the FI. It was the 955 that was first in the 2001. The 1999 & 2000 models were FI 885's.

As for crash bars, I have the Thunderbike crash bars from NZ. They are pricy but super stout. Although, I heard a rumor that even though they are still listed on their website, Thunderbike is no longer making them for the Girlies.
  10. dino1

dino1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was able to put the bars in a cart. Seems weird they would let people buy them and put them in the cart to checkout.
    The D likes this.
  11. ArchRider

ArchRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, you were able to put them in the cart but couldn't checkout? Or are they still making them? I heard it as a rumor, it may not be true.
  12. srelegante

Oddometer:
  13. dino1

dino1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn't check out because I don't have a tiger to put them on. : )

If I buy one w/o bars ill go back, put them in the cart and attempt to buy.

YMMV but it seems if they weren't going to sell them they would not let you put them in a cart and pay for them.

Sent an email to thunderbike asking if they still made the bars for girlies. I'll edit if I hear back.
  14. srelegante

Oddometer:
    There is a beautiful Tigger -2006 FS in TN right now.

Maybe that is the one you were looking at?

It is a great deal, IMHO.

SE
  15. River

River Gee

Oddometer:
  16. dino1

dino1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I emailed thunderbike and received a reply.

Yes they still make them.

When I buy a tiger if it doesn't have bars ill order first thing.
  17. jphish

jphish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 06' also had 1050 heads and engine case & breather plumbing rerouted. Also that year did NOT need the tank fuel fittings replaced. There were a number of subtle but significant refinements in the "last of the Girlie Tigers". Tiger triple has lots of info on 'em. I loved mine - but replaced it with an 800xc. Should have kept it. With the TOR exhaust and remap - that thing was a silver streak! Good ones are getting harder to find. If you find one - put the "Habius Grabus" on it!! Good Luck!
  18. stopwatch1

stopwatch1 West'n my head

Oddometer:
    I currently own an '01 and '06 Tiger. Fantastic bikes. Have put over 77,000 miles on the '01. In addition to the differences already covered:

-Front forks are 1" shorter on the '06 (and '05 I think). The shorter forks make the '05 and '06 Tigers a bit quicker steering by effectively decreasing the rake (also makes for slightly less ground clearance).
    -The crankcase breather hose is routed from top of the engine case on the '06 models rather than from the lower left side as on the '01 thru '05.
    -Head gaskets were paper based until the mid-'05 models and sometimes allow a bit of coolant seepage on the back (below the throttle body area). This is only a cosmetic issue mostly noticed in colder weather. The latter '05 models and '06 models have a metal based head gasket that seems to not have the cold weather seepage issue.
    -'05 and '06 have a single fuel line to the fuel pump assembly instead of a two line setup as on the '01 thru '04 models.
    -Rear swingarm is different. No concentric chain adjusters on the '05 and '06.
    -Rear shock is about 1" longer on the '05 and '06 which adds to the slightly quicker steering geometry in a similar way the shorter forks do.
    -No cross brace on the handlebars for the'05 and '06.

I preferred the stance and handling of the longer forks on the earlier models so I swapped my '01 forks (equipped with RaceTech emulators) to my '06. After also installing a Wilbers on the rear of the '06 it's a truly incredible bike. Another upgrade I highly recommend is a MadStad windscreen system... ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL!

Maybe not the most modern, cutting edge bike out there but I can whole-heartedly recommend any of the Tigers '01 thru '06. Hard to beat their "bang for your buck" value and I think they're bustin' with that "certain something"! :pynd
  19. TypeRated

TypeRated Airborne Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. abruzzi

abruzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1

I still have a left leg thanks to Thunderbike--head in collision with a F150, both going 35mph. I swerved to miss, and glanced off the front corner. The bars took the brunt of the impact. They bent back ~8 inches, but missed my leg.