1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Differences in 955i tigers?

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by gusable, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Ironwood

Ironwood Friday Harbor, WA

Oddometer:
    I have a nice clean set of forks off my '01 if anyone needs a set. I bought a used set with RT springs and Gold emulators. BTW, they work very well off road and they cure the brake dive as well. Best thing I did to mine.
  2. motoOzarks

motoOzarks motoMonstor

Oddometer:
  3. hairnet

hairnet will travel for cake

Oddometer:
  4. TIGERRIDER007

TIGERRIDER007 North GA RAT

Oddometer:
    So you made your own crashbars? Are yours cheaper than Thunderbike's? :ear
    I went through your pics and enjoyed, nice rig.

I've owned a 2001 and loved it. I currently own a 2006, and yes, they behave a little differently. I'll sum it up with a short version. The 2001 made a better touring bike for me, it handled the long stretches with ease. It felt more planted on the road, and seemed heavier, that's just how it felt. My 06 seems like a sportbike version of a 955 Tiger, it handles the twisties better and wants to be ridden hard. I've taken the 06 off road with its cast wheels and have had no issues, but would prefer spokes for piece of mind. Now, remember, this is all in my head and what I think, and feel. Both my Tigers had no issues with regular maintenance. I love the reliability of these machines. If I could afford more toys, I'd buy two more 955 Tigers and convert one into a pure road racer, and the other an off road beast.
    These are incredible bikes, and I agree with everyone in here, the best bang for the buck, for a do-it-all motorcycle.
    Oh, and don't forget we even have our own ride, the TIGER Ride-In, April of 2016, in North Carolina. :D
    RumRunnerGuy likes this.
  5. River

River Gee

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I love my Tiger. I was able to make mine for around $200 Cdn. Most of the cost was in the welding, but I was lucky enough to know a good aluminum welder. I was going to cost me $250-300 to by manufactured ones, including shipping and such.
  6. wayne_l

wayne_l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was the difference in the 200. 885i and 2001 955i for crash bars n pegs ? I can find some for 955i but not 885i ? I have the thunder bars now but don't like them i can't stretch out legs and bas. Plate mount is a pita for oil changes.
  7. bgt595

bgt595 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm enamored with my 2005 Tiger 955.... She's seen the WBDR, the UtBDR, several thousand other offroad and gravel runs. Yes I am conscious of the cast wheels weaknesses but with that known I've only had one terminal issue with the front wheel and that was after hitting a HUGE pothole and splitting the wheel down the center. Of the upgrades I've done suspension was had the greatest impact.

Short list of upgrades is
    1, Mosfet Reg/rec and Sasquatch mod
    2, Hyperpro Shock set to my weight
    3, Racetech forks springs and cartridge
    Emulators
    4, K & N air filter
    5, Tune ECU updated maps
    6, TOR pipe (such a sweet sound)
    7, GIVI pannier frames for SOLOBOX boxes
    8, Pelican tool box under the license plate
    9, ROX risers
    10, Corbin Seat (everyone has their favorite)
    11, EBC organic brake pads (saves rotors)
    12, Custom made titanium skid plate (from PDFs on Tigertriple.com)
    13. Custom tool bags (on HepcoBecker crash- bars for air pump and other just in case stuff)
    14, 19 tooth front sprocket
    15, Touratech radiator and oil cooler guards
    16, Acerbis bark busters
    17, adjustable, foldable and extendable levers
    18, I'm sure there is stuff I forgot.

Of the normal usages items,
    I always use the factory chain and sprocket kit best bang for buck.
    I've always run Shinko E705 tires (14 rear and 8 front) Kenda Big block for offroad trips.
    Mobil 1 10-40 & 20-50 during hot weather.
    Silkolene chain cleaner and DuPont Chain saver from Cycle Gear applied every 300 to 500 miles.
    I replace the radiator cap every 25K miles just cause the Triumph engine pulses the spring and it wears out too soon which leads to overheating issues.

This bike has 111000 miles and I've put 100000 miles on it in 4 years and 10 months and it's hard to even think of replacing it with something else.

[​IMG]
    She's got a big butt!
    [​IMG]
    The Storm bags on the crash-bars
    [​IMG]
    She gets washed and waxed and ACF50 ritualistically.
    ridin gaijin and RumRunnerGuy like this.
  8. Killacurb

Killacurb Dad

Oddometer:
    Question for u tiger guys,,,, long story short, I have a buddy I'm trying to talk into going along a moto trip this summer. He sold his moto and most of his possessions a couple years ago to help fund his boys who race moto x. He is on a tight budget as his oldest is a really good and still racing. I found an 06 tiger with only 13k miles for $3500 that is near him that I am trying to get him to pick up so he can join our trip. Question one, is this a good price? Question two, after using search function couldn't really find any concrete answers as to what to look for problem wise for this generation tiger, aside from the flaking paint on gas tank.
  9. TIGERRIDER007

TIGERRIDER007 North GA RAT

Oddometer:
    If that's true and the bike is in good shape cosmetically and mechanically/hasn't been crashed, I'd say that was an incredible deal, especially for those miles. I'd also say the biggest issue with this generation of "girlie" tigers is the alternator/rectifier situation. A bike with 13K miles, probably will see this issue down the road, mine had to be replaced around 42K I think. Other Tiger pilots will offer more, but I absolutely love my 06'. The best to you and your friend, I do think that is a super price though.
  10. Black Rhino

Black Rhino Closer to Dairy Queen than Steve McQueen.

Oddometer:
    ^^^ A guy that speaks from experience. :thumb
    TIGERRIDER007 likes this.
  11. bgt595

bgt595 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

The flaking paint is an issue on all of these bikes but is more pronounced on the ones from the warmer climants where the heat vapors the tanks fuel through the plastic more readily..... And if a black version. It's almost a guarantee. It's not a deal breaker.

These bikes are stone reliable and with the proper mods can be real backroad destroyers.
    What to hope for when looking for one is crash protection for the vital bits and the three bags from factory, a decent service history (if possible), the factory TOR muffler (sounds perfect for me)... Then upgrade the charging system change the seat to what your friend prefers, and replace the windshield.... This bike sounds like a great deal but let's see some pictures and details for a better analysis.
  12. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    The plastic fuel quick disconnects on the tank are an issue. Replacement CPC in chrome plated brass is the answer. I had to do them on my BMW as well.
  13. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    These should have been replaced in a recall. Certainly were on my '02 in the UK.
  14. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On my 2002 the male ends were aluminium so I assume these were replaced but the females that are mounted in the fuel plate were still plastic.
  15. Killacurb

Killacurb Dad

Oddometer:
    Great information guys, thanks so much! I had heard these are solid bikes but never really looked at them. It does seem like a great bike for the price. If I can talk him into buying it pics will surely be posted soon.
  16. blacktiger

Oddometer:
    Yes, you're right. Generally it was the male pipe ends that broke where the O ring sat in it.
    However, getting some metal female parts (:hmmmmm!) is a good idea. I replaced mine a few years after the recall. They are quite easy to fit yourself.
  17. blacktiger

Oddometer:
    72000 miles on mine and the engine still runs sweet. It has had a few age related problems but that's only to be expected I think. They are very underrated, especially by the motorcycle press who, it seemed, always prefered the £3000 more expensive BMW R1150/1200GS.:dunno

Oh, and I'm still on the original stator and reg/rectifier. Saquatch mod done several years ago.
    Killacurb likes this.
  18. MargaritaMotoress

MargaritaMotoress AKA Tigger

Oddometer:
    I've been out for 18 months on a ride on my KLX250. 36k miles. I decided to ride to Alaska and Tuk this summer so I went back to Maine and left the Kawasaki and got my 2002 Tiger 955i. Before I got back to Maine I ordered a set of Kenda Big Blocks to haul across Canada to use to ride the Dempster Hwy to Tuk, Top of the World Hwy, and then the Dalton Hwy up to Prudhoe Bay.

Now I'm looking at the front fender and am wondering. Are those knobbies going to clear that front fender? I'd been on the KLX for 18 months and had 14" of travel. I'd forgotten how little there is on the Tiger.

Also - my Tiger has always run hot in even little traffic. Thanks for the hint. I'm going to try a new radiator cap. I replaced the thermostat and that didn't do squat. She HATES traffic.

Thanks! 20180508_190012.jpg
  19. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a set of TKC80s on the Tiger and clearance was not an issue but a wet day on the Dempster could build up a layer of mud that might become problematic.
    Personally I did not like how the tires changed the handling of the Girlie so I went back to a more road oriented rubber.
    MargaritaMotoress likes this.
  20. blacktiger

Oddometer:
    Just get used to the temperature rising on the gauge when in traffic. It's normal.
    MargaritaMotoress likes this.