Different mount for DRC Edge2 taillight, Baja Designs Battery Pack, etc.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by texsurfer, Aug 25, 2006.

1. texsurfer

texsurfer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    finished up putting my old BD D/S kit on my 650R last night. And would you believe the NiCd battery pack that has been in storage since i took it off my first 650R over a year ago still had enough juice to light my new LED taillight.

As I quandered how to mate the flat square top of my Edge2 to my curved rear fender I decided to see how it would work on top. Well, I think it turned out nice given the fact that I hate topmount taillights. I'll rephrase that, the traditional kind that can catch your nuts if you need to slide off the rear of the bike over the fender. The way I mounted my Edge2 should be fairly nut-friendly in the event of a rear getoff. I removed my stock taillight lense and tail/brakelight and fiddled and found that the Edge2 will sort of nestle up against the dished out porton of the stock tailight area. And that on top of that the lone mounting hole provided for in the Edge2 lines up slightly behind the stock mounting hole for the original lense cover. So I went through my hardware bin and found a long phillips head bolt, a large flat washer and a fender washer and nylock nut. Cut it to length and started tightening down to test. The offset in the lineup causes the Edge2 to tighten down and pull toward the front of the bike so that the edge of the taillight butts against the fender and holds in place. So i taped off the stock taillight holes in the fender and routed the wires through the remaining grommet/mounting point. It was pretty stable but if it were really whacked good it might get sideways. To elmiinate that I placed a smaller panhead stainless screw and fender washer on the license plate area with one of those cheesy stamped sheetmetal nuts. you know the kind that is a washer/nut stamped out of sheetmetal? Sorry, no pics of that. I'm going to get a panhead bolt and single fender washer so it is even more lowprofile. I think it turned out well and if I ever need to remove it, should be pretty quick and painless.

Now today at lunch I'm going to get it inspected and the forms re-sent to Vermont DMV for a title/plate/registration.

ps. XR's only sticker removed from fender and placed on taillight so inspector will place inspection sticker on fender...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. texsurfer

texsurfer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    passed inspection and papers are on the way to Vermont DMV!