Digging Up Bones - YZ465 Resurrection

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by wfopete, Mar 31, 2018.

1. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does me good to see that pipe that's been hanging around for decades doing well. BTW it's not the octane it's the lead oxygen and distillation curve keepin' things cool.
  2. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    Saw this thread and a tear came to my eye.
    Here’s a pic or 2 of 2 different YZ 465H’s-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Notice my desert YZ was used in the “King of the Desert” race 1984 (I think!)
    The barrel was slighly modded. Speaking of mods- lots of midrange can be had by porting the piston...
    High silicon content piston it is...
    brucifer and FR700 like this.
  3. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have any specs on porting the piston? I have some of the Yamaha Tech sheets and they mention porting the 490 piston but nothing about the 465.
  4. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    Let me see what I can find. Might be similar to the 490 as they’re like brothers.
  5. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Except the 465 ran well.
  6. wfopete

wfopete Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer:
    The casualty's from Mid Ohio were minor and included a upper chain roller and shift lever. Both turned out to be EZ fixes as a IMS lever and a All Balls bearing kit were obtained on line for minimal $. My next play date was September 14 and 15 for a XC race in New Blaine Arkansas, just down the road from where I live. I opted out of the MX portion due to the poor Thrills-Per-Buck ratio of 60:20, meaning it would cost me $60 to ride for 20 minutes where as the XC race had a TPB ratio of 45:60 ($45 to ride for 60 minutes).

I was familar with the Arkansas XC course because I cut much of the trail and rode it often with my modern bike but that does not necessarily translate to a stellar performance on the 465. Although I got the holeshot in on Fridays race I was passed quickly by half the class before getting out of the first turn. The course was great with very little dust. Loops were around 5-6 miles and overall the course was a little on the tight side especially for a YZ465 but I've rode far tighter woods.

New BlaineYZ.JPG

By the 2nd lap I was getting tired of wrestling the bike and the vibration from the bars had my right hand going numb which made using the front brake tuff. In fact, my hand was so numb I needed to look down at the front brake lever to make sure I was pulling it. I could ride much of the course in third gear by slipping the clutch but the 35pj had the motor pinging at low rpm. By the time I reached a grassy field, the clutch was slipping quite a bit in third gear under acceleration, so I nursed the clutch so as to not DNF Saturday's XC race. This race was also the first time I could really pay attention to the suspension and the news from it wasn't great. The forks with 15wt Yamalube oil were lacking rebound damping; you could really hear/feel it in the small roots and rocks. The rear shock didn't seem to bad but it had a tendency to kick the back of the bike up on sharper hits. The real time killer, was me stalling the engine way too many times. Sometimes I was able to recover by bump starting the bike before it quit rolling but far too often I had to kick start it to life. I'm sure I lost several minutes of valuable time both days trying to re-fire the 465. There were a couple other riders that actually had a worse day than me in my class (60+ Expert) but still it was a pretty sucky ride by anyone's measurement. I guess I shouldn't feel too bad as the guy who won my class also nailed down 3rd overall for the race. The O/A winner; some ex-world MX champ named Trampas Parker. I know, I've never heard of him either.

With wonky forks, a pinging motor and a wounded clutch I regrouped. First the EZ stuff. I replaced the #35pj with a #45pj. Then I had a chat with the folks at Race Tech and they suggested going with a 30 weight oil in my forks. I wanted to stick with the Yamalube as oil viscosities can get flaky between brand labels. Unfortunately Yamalube only is available up to a 20 weight so that’s what I went with. Even with very little ride time on it the old oil looked pretty ugly so it needed to be changed anyway. As for the clutch, I believe this is basically the same clutch used in the YZ250 so it might be a little marginal in a 465 (I think Yamaha added one more plate for the 465 clutch) but I’ve never heard this ever as an issue. After taking the clutch apart and making a few measurements I found everything in spec except the clutch springs, which were just at the 35mm free length service wear limit. The friction plates were at 2.9mm (barely worn at all) but did have some glazing on them and the metal plates had some wear but were still within spec. No, I didn't check the metal plates for warping; sorry.

Picture of tired, old fricton plates:

cl2.jpg

I debated about what parts to replace in the clutch and from whom. I was tempted to get a complete replacement from Barnett but I didn’t want to risk having issues with their Kevlar friction plates as the OEM plates lasted for years and had a lower price. In the end I went with OEM friction plates and replaced the OEM springs with Barnett springs. The Barnett springs were over 40mm in length with the coils wound further apart for a much stiffer spring and correspondingly stiff lever pull.

spcl.jpg

Time to button this thing back up as that Trampas Parker feller is putting on a fine event this weekend in Henryetta, OK. He talked it up pretty good so I'll head out to Oklahoma to put the bike and body to the test.

To be continued...

WildAnCrazymtl, brucifer and FR700 like this.
  7. wfopete

Oddometer:
    The drive out to Henryetta Oklahoma wasn't bad; about 3 hours. Great weather. Nice facilities (Henryetta Fairgrounds) except the showers were never completed so I would be a little funky for three days. I found a big shade tree and set up camp. On the Friday XC site in lap, the YZ with the #45pj wasn't starting as well as expected but wasn't bad. Sometimes 6 kicks (cold) sometimes 1 kick (warm). Once the engine got hot the pinging returned...although not as bad as before. Power was fine and the clutch was happy. The forks with 20wt. oil worked a little better but still a heavier oil is needed. In a desperate move to reduce the pinging I raised the needle two levels. This move didn't seem to hurt the power (might have helped it) and reduced the pinging a bit. The XC course was great and included loose rocky hills, woods, creek crossings, fields and pavement sections. Trampas Parker knows how to put on a great event. During Friday's XC race I was on the second row and the YZ started first kick so I got a decent start. But once again fatigue started in on me and I slid back as the race wore on. The good news was that I didn't stall the engine or crash once during the whole weekend! With the continued pinging even with the fatter pj I am suspecting a leaking ignition side crank seal as the pinging was not an issue earlier in the year or last year.

There were some nice rigs and bikes in attendance so I decided to take a few pictures. This is BA Motosports set up. Yes, some very nice bikes.

rede.jpg

Some nice green bikes were there too.

gren.jpg

I really liked these hybred bikes. Here is a XR 200 engine slipped into a '77 RM125 chassis. The picture doesn't do the bike justice.

nxr.jpg

100_4057.jpg

Cont.
    brucifer and FJ_Kevin like this.
  8. wfopete

Oddometer:
    Here is a Hodaka 100 engine in a later model YZ chassis. A nice effort. Does that look like a Hodaka motor in there? I just assumed it was.

hodie.jpg

Some Moto X Fox RMs:

foxs.jpg
    and some more yellow bikes.

yel.jpg

On Saturday's XC race I didn't get quite as good a start but two riders in my class got tangled in front of me going into the woods and I got by both of them. The exits of some of the creek crossings were getting chewed up so you needed to pay attention or you would find yourself in some bad ruts exiting the creek. I was getting tired (again) and I waved two riders around me towards the end of the race. I remember thinking that I could probably hold them off but didn't want to piss them off or crash trying to stay in front. At the end of the race I found out that they were both in my class; oh well.

Q. How can you tell the rider that races a YZ465 in XC?

A. Look at thier hands.

yzhand.jpg
    WildAnCrazymtl, brucifer and FJ_Kevin like this.
  9. wfopete

Oddometer:
    I really wanted to ride the MX course as the jumps were gentle and it was a fun up/down grass track with sweeping corners. Yeah the city let us play MX racer on thier fairground land. We need more towns like this!

Does this look like a fun place to ride a YZ465? It did to me.

nicemx.jpg

Even though the course seemed gentle, several riders crashed hard during the weekend. Two got an expensive chopper ride to the hospital. Trey Jorski was bad fast until he went down tweaking his knee. I thought, maybe I was smart not to ride the MX. Besides, after the XC racing my hands were junk and I had to leave at noon to get ready to drive up to the MXoN in Michigan.

That about wraps it up for another year of YZ465 riding. I think I'll pull the engine and go thru it, replacing the crank seal and seeing what the tranny looks like. But I'm keeping a look out for a clean KDX200 because this 465 is killing me in the woods...but I still like it.
    WildAnCrazymtl, brucifer and FJ_Kevin like this.
  10. FJ_Kevin

FJ_Kevin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    those hands look rough!

Glad you like hybrids. I have something I've been working on!
  11. FJ_Kevin

FJ_Kevin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    good job Pete. I think you had a great year, thanks for posting!
    brucifer likes this.
  12. Reon

Reon n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey mate do you still have the 465 oem for sale . I am in Australia Cheers
  13. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. wfopete

Oddometer:
    I just bought a GMC pipe for my G model. Should be here in a few days. My kickstarter return died on the YZ last race...hope it's "just" a spring as I've been afraid to open up the case cover and look :-)