Dipped My Toes in Central America

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Bigguy136, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Bigguy136

Bigguy136 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So i just got home and have some catching up to do. I wanted to start this thread as it will force me to finish it.
    It started as a ride from Minnesota to Copper Canyon on a Super Tenere and turned into a ride to Guatemala.
    Over the next week or two, I should be getting most of the stories told (some stories need to stay in Mexico) and photos posted. If I'm not too lazy, maybe even some video.
    Will update when I can leave a bathroom for more than 5 minutes....
    20201027_073744.jpg
  2. MongoLikeCandy

MongoLikeCandy It never gets easier, you just get faster

Oddometer:
    wait....are you dispatching CA ride report in real time, or is ride complete?
  3. Bigguy136

Oddometer:
    The ride was the last few weeks. I got home Nov 4.
    MongoLikeCandy likes this.
  4. MongoLikeCandy

MongoLikeCandy It never gets easier, you just get faster

Oddometer:
    heading to costa rica for the month of dec/jan....im taking #ItalianMistressNo2 and #ItalianMistressNo1 (search DaGram) for ultralight bike packing holiday.....would love some of your insight, thoughts, experience and wisdom gleened from your adventure!
    pro69ss likes this.
  5. pro69ss

pro69ss Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    In
  6. Bigguy136

Oddometer:
    PM sent
    MongoLikeCandy likes this.
  7. Bigguy136

Oddometer:
    So here we go. The history...
    I typically ride the the Arctic (Canada and Alaska) but Canada is closed. No big deal, I have other projects for the summer.
    Fall time, I ran to Wyoming/ Montana for a test run with some new AUX fuel tanks I made. Bike was fresh and no changes needed. Time to think about Mexico in late Feb/ March until I found out work will not allow me to roll my vacation over into next year. No biggie, built a new outdoor entertaining area. Leaves started to fall and I looked at the area I wanted to build and no way. HMMM, plan C, ride south. I went into work on Oct 12 and asked for month off and they approved. That gave me 4 days to rush tires and a few Amazon items. Everything came together by Saturday morning and I was on the road Oct 17 just before noon.
    The bike is a 2014 Super Tenere. I brought everything including the stove and sink. I packed as if I was going to the arctic. Little did I know, I could've gone without half the crap I brought but I'm good with the heavy bike and have picked it up fully loaded before so having the extra weight is not that big of a deal for me.
    Here I am packed and leaving.
    20201017_120054.jpg
    td63, MongoLikeCandy, MCGMB and 2 others like this.
  8. Otroo

Otroo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In for the long haul.
  9. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Hell yeah. "Dipped My Toes in Central America" this is how it starts my friend, better learn to swim, I think you will be back.
  10. Bigguy136

Oddometer:
    I think you are right
  11. Bigguy136

Oddometer:
    So 4 days of prep for a trip to Mexico, what could go wrong...
    The original plan was ride around Copper Canyon. I asked in 'Trip Planning' and almost everyone was very helpful. I followed @Sjoerd Bakker advice and set my GPS to Ojinaga, Mexico.
    Just before leaving, I purchased travel medical insurance, filled out and printed my FMM and TVIP. Made a few copies and brought original registration and title.
    I stayed on the highways to make time. Winter was fast approaching I wanted to get south fast. There was also a nice wind at my back. I remote camped the first night on a sideroad just off the highway.
    I woke at 3:30AM and felt rested so I packed up camp and continued. I rode a bit over 900 miles and was close to the Mexico boarder. I was on US67 and been looking for any side road to make camp. It was getting dark and getting hard to find anything. The last hour was nothing but oil country. Around the Fort Stockton area, I ended up pulling over and opening a gate and going in a bit to make camp. I was hoping nobody would come by in the middle of the night and kick me out.
    All was good and I continued to Mexico. I have crossed Mexico before but nothing to declare so just a showing of passport and I was in. This time, I pulled into declarations and went inside. The building for all paperwork is a building in-between the north and southbound traffic lanes. Very easy to find and only 3 people ahead of me. I got my paperwork in order, paid my $400 TVIP (+$60 for processing) and was stamped in. As I crossed, I had to open every pannier and green PVC containers. Not sure why but all was good and off I went. I was maybe 11:00 AM and was in Mexico.
    Camp in the middle of oil country, Texas. I would say I was up with the sun but the pic shows otherwise. I guess I slept in a little....
    20201019_083515.jpg
    liv2day, td63, Cal and 3 others like this.
  12. steved57

steved57 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in
  13. Motoman66

Motoman66 Green Rider

Oddometer:
    In ! Enjoy Mexico and its amazing people and landscape !
  14. Bigguy136

Oddometer:
    After crossing Mexico border, it was time to relax and see what Copper Canyon was about. It was a short day of riding thru some beautiful northern Mexico roads and got a hotel in Chihuahua. I had some time to relax and collect my thoughts, walk around town and make a plan for CC.
    I ride a lot in the Wyoming Big Horns and figured CC would have similar endless side roads that I would find interesting. I headed west to Hermosillo and it was a nice windy tar road but just wasn't getting the same feel as Wyoming. I stopped for some food along the way and enjoyed the scenery, road and weather. That night, I was looking over Basecamp and just wasn't seeing 2 weeks of riding with what I just saw so I decided I would head to Guatemala. I'm sure if I was on a small bike, some of the off-road riding would've been great but not on a loaded Super Tenere. 20201020_122648.jpg 20201020_140450.jpg 20201020_145555.jpg 20201020_145825.jpg

Attached Files:

ScotsFire and Perre like this.
  15. cavebiker

cavebiker Old School Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good stuff. I like the plan / new plan :*sip*
    Bigguy136 likes this.
  16. Bigguy136

Oddometer:
    I typically over plan my road trips. This one was no planning and was one of my best rides ever.
  17. Bigguy136

Oddometer:
    I bought a Drift Ghost 4K this fall and is my first time with a video camera.
    Here is my first ever attempt with video editing and posting. Hopefully it works.... Helpful advice is always welcomed.

ScotsFire likes this.
  18. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Nice job for your first ever video. Something it was hard for me to learn with editing video was that “less is more.” My best ones are when I am the most draconian with cutting stuff out.
    It was cool seeing the Chihuahua highways.

I did a couple days in the Copper Canyon last March, and mostly agree with your assessment. I had two of the most amazing days of riding, but doubt there’d be two weeks of such. I want to go back, but probably a few days in that area would suffice. I was also on a much less loaded F800GSA so the dirt roads were doable. I wouldn’t take the Tenere there loaded for bear the way you were.
    Bigguy136 likes this.
  19. Bigguy136

Oddometer:
    Here is my 2nd video attempt at stripping many hours of video into something hopefully "enjoyable". This is going from Chihuahua to Hermosillo on MEX16.
    ScotsFire and td63 like this.
  20. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the videos Bigguy , brings back lots of memories. I followed you return trip progress on you trackingpost and saw that you in the end made a set of fine route choices including Mex 105, away from the toll roads.
    ""Will update when I can leave a bathroom for more than 5 minutes...."" reads as if you might have brought back an unwelcome souvenir from the trip . Hope it has settled the tummy down by now .