Dipped My Toes in Central America

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Bigguy136, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Bigguy136

Bigguy136 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To be fair of Garmin in last post, I know my map says North America but..... Central America and northern tip of South America are also shown. That gave me the confidence that all would be good. Shame on me but garmin, don't provide a map with 40% detail. Don't show it at all so I know to get one from OSM
    Back to the story if anyone is still with me :-)
    This was a first time having a video camera so I didn't take many photos. I will put together a video in the next day or two.
    I was woke at 6:00AM by the lady from the hotel. There is a market being set-up and I needed my bike moved before the street was blocked off. Quick shower (no hot water and no water pressure) and off and riding. I set my garmin to point me towards San Juan Ostuncalco taking whatever road looked correct. Several times I was going the wrong way on a one way but nobody cared much.
    I got to Ostuncalco, stopped at the market for breakfast and walked around. If I had room, I would've bought several blankets.
    From there, I wanted to spend my next night in Guatemala City. I had another saved location and started following the indicator arrow for what roads to take. A few hours of great mountain riding, I came on stopped traffic. I took the shoulder for a few miles and got to an area with someone on a loud speaker saying what I couldn't understand. I was going to go around but was worried it might be a funeral service or something. There was a truck next to me and had an official looking door sticker. I motioned if I could go around. He shook his head no and asked in english where I was going. Guatemala City. He highly recommended I don't try as all roads leading to the city are blocked by protesters.
    I saw a weather report about a hurricane forecasted, my garmin not displaying a map (and finding small road options to get around road blocks) and no cell phone (my fault for not finding a local sim card), I decided it would be better to head back to Mexico and take a slower route that got me off all the toll roads.
    I spent that evening in La Democracia. In the morning, I went back to the border, stamped out, back into Mexico and I was off. I really wish I would've stayed in Guatemala longer but I wasn't mentally ready for it (really didn't think I would get in either from covid or not having some document or whatever).
    20201026_071914.jpg 20201026_074039.jpg 20201026_092456.jpg 20201026_095357.jpg 20201026_095411.jpg 20201026_133519.jpg
    ScotsFire, roadcapDen and Cal like this.
  2. Bigguy136

Oddometer:
    I got a Gopro8 during black Friday sale. I looked at Itchy Boots and she was using a Gopro 7 at first then went to a Gopro 8.
    A huge thanks as I never herd of her and now watched around 100 episodes from season 1. I like her way of recording video and telling her story. Thanks again.
    guidoman, Roaddawg and ScotsFire like this.
  3. Bigguy136

Oddometer:
    So having a video camera recording, I found this trip not taking as many photos. It was nice to get caught up in everything around me rather than what places to stop and take a photo. The downside was many hours of video files to filter thru and try to make something interesting to others with a few minutes of clips glued together. Some make it look so simple.
    I decided I need something with more options that Microsoft Photo for editing videos. A few weeks over the holidays gave me some time to get the basics of the new program.
    So with a few week delay to the video to go with my earlier post, here you are.
    ScotsFire likes this.
  4. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA, 2016 R1200RT Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice! Brought back memories :-) The narrow, stall-lined roads, navigating around Tuk-Tuk’s and busses, the mountainous terrain and ... border crossings (ugh!). That’s Guatemala. And incredible Mangos, hope they were in season and you tried some!
    roadcapDen likes this.
  5. Bigguy136

Oddometer:
    Thanks,
    Sorry for not getting this RR finished. I will make it a priority.
    Yes, Mangos were excellent. It was my first time eating them where they grow and were so much better. I live in Minnesota and by the time they are in stores here, they look like a Mango but don't come close on flavor.
    Looking back at Mexico vs Guatemala, I have to say Guatemala was my favorite.
  6. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Good priority, thanks!
    did you dip into El Salvador?