Dirt bike rental in Bangkok Thailand

Discussion in 'Asia' started by dkom95, May 16, 2016.

1. dkom95

dkom95 KLRk Kent

Oddometer:
    A pal and I are prepping for Thailand this September. We're trying to get our hands on a couple of CRFLs, KLXs, or other dirt-oriented 125s or 250s for our 2-week trip. I've cast a few lines so far but with limited success. Tony's Big Bikes in Chiang Mai has 2 fully kitted CRF250Ls, but that's a long haul from BKK and doesn't make for an easy pick-up/drop-off plan. Bangkok Scooter Rental has a CRF250L and a CRF250M. However we want to steer clear of the supermoto M model because we anticipate hitting the sloppy stuff pretty far out of the cities. I messaged Bangkok Bikes Rental about 2 KLXs they had listed, but haven't heard anything back after about a week.

Does anyone have a good contact for dirt-oriented rental in BKK? I'd appreciate the help. Expect to see the TL trip thread starting soon.
  2. dkom95

dkom95 KLRk Kent

Oddometer:
    As an update, I found a rental company that gave me the choice of 1.) surrendering our passports for the term of the rental OR 2.) leaving a copy of passport, plane ticket, and an additional $500 deposit. Any thoughts?
  3. TBR

TBR One Life ~ Live It...

Oddometer:
    Said it before and saying it once again... do yourself a very big personal favour, find a legit and respectable bike rental company.
    The good ol' days, remembering the true stories from the 80's, 90's and well into the 00's about bike rental shops and passport scams all over the "Land of Smiles"... pay up $$$$ sucker or we keep your passport, 2016 ~ people really still that desperate and naive to hand over passports to rent vehicles... makes me wonder ~ nuff said'....

Have a read around the Thailand based rideasia.net forum and they list a few rental companies, most up in Thailand's North but someone might be able to point a reliable and trustworthy bike rental company out near the big smoke called Bangkok....
  4. markinthailand

markinthailand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, Chiang Mai has all the bikes since that's where the best riding is. :-)

TBR is correct -- look on rideasia.net they may know. Or email Tony's Big Bikes and ask them -- there should be someone with what you're looking for.

But if you're coming just to ride, enter/exit via Chiang Mai is easy and a great place to base out of for riding SE Asia.
  5. Farang Paul

Farang Paul A Late Convert

Oddometer:
    Renting dirt bikes in Bangkok is hard - there are few places to ride nearby and the demand is minimal. As the above posters have pointed out why not travel to somewhere that you can ride and rent there? You will spend hours in Bangkok traffic just getting somewhere good to ride each day.
    Nearly all bike rental companies in Thailand require your passport as deposit. If you offer a copy of your passport and a reasonable cash deposit then most will do a deal - if they won't then move on somewhere else.
    Be aware that you will not be insured on a rental bike unless you personally take out separate insurance. The basic 3rd party insurance (pororbor) can be invalidated if a bike is rented and can also be invalidated if you have no Thai driving licence (depends on where you are). Check whether your holiday insurance has a clause excluding bike rental.
    I used to rent out bikes - I stopped because of the high number of accidents and the refusal of the renters to accept liability for damage to my bikes and the vehicles they ran into.
    Remember that Thailand has the highest road fatality rate in the world (excepting Libya) and nearly 80% of those are on motorbikes.
  6. dkom95

dkom95 KLRk Kent

Oddometer:
    We are choosing to rent in BKK because we're flying in and out of Suvarnabhumi and will be traveling the country (Chiang Mai all the way to Phuket and back) over a multi-week period.

From the rental company I've been in correspondence with:
    "For the deposit we do require one passport (the signer) to be held here. We will provide you with a color copy of the passport for your use which meets Thailand requirements. This is very standard for big bike rentals for two reasons. 1. It happens too commonly that people change travel plans and decide to leave the bike parked somewhere in the country and assume it's ok because we have a small deposit. 2. Sadly most stolen bikes are stolen by customers. If that is not ok, we understand and the bikes can rented with the deposit equal to the purchase price of the bike. Just let me know."

Thoughts on leaving original passport and taking a photocopy with you?
  7. CraigBKK

CraigBKK I ride to both find and forget myself...

Oddometer:
    There's no so much dirt to ride between BKK and the North or South (it can be found though). You are better off flying the 1 hr it takes to get to where you are going and renting there.
  8. Brian_BKK

Brian_BKK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A few years back a friend visited and wanted to rent one of the advertised KLX's from Bangkok Bike rentals.

They didn't have KLX.. But a D-Tracker with the dirt wheels etc..

I guess that hasn't changed.. as there really isn't the demand..

The closest place you can ride to is Chonburi.. 60 KM before Pattaya.

Some great riding there.. but takes you 1 hr plus there and back and you have to avoid all the toll roads.
    No bikes allowed. On the way back you will start cramping up if riding all day..
    Plus some local knowledge would be good or you will spend a lot of time going down dead ends.

If you can't go to Chiang Mai and rent.. Then you next best option is to head to Pattaya and rent.
    But they will only do tours.. If you want to rent for a week.. You can get the price down.

Avoid the places along beach road.. Guaranteed rip off..

Recommend Xtreme Enduro.. or there is group on Facebook called Pattaya Bad Boys - Enduro.
    Local and Bangkok guys ride on the weekends.. You can join and probably rent a bike..

Lots of great riding at the back of Pattaya..

A couple of weeks back to wet your appetite.

Cheers
    Brian
  9. Brian_BKK

Brian_BKK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I should add.. They were not happy when the D-Tracker came back covered in Mud..
    LOL.. What do you expect when we are for some off-road bikes.
  10. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    IMO getting out of BKK on a motorcycle is scary as hell and not easy as many roads, bridges etc. are closed to motorcycles. Unless you are used to it, starting your ride in urban SE Asia traffic (AND on the "wrong side of the road") may be a bit stressful! If you have plane tickets in and out of BKK, why not just go to Chang Mai by bus, etc. and rent there; there are known reputable rental places there and it will be much more peaceful way to begin and end your trip.
  11. dkom95

dkom95 KLRk Kent

Oddometer:
    Some sound advice. On your advice, we decided to spend a few days in BKK before flying to Chiang Mai and renting from Jeff at Tony's Big Bikes. They seem like some pretty solid folks, and have fully kitted CRF250Ls ready for the rigors of offroad. More details to come.
  12. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Sounds like it should be a more fun plan. I assume you will be prepared for 90F and a lot of rain during September (https://www.travelfish.org/weather/thailand/september).
  13. L_Bomb

L_Bomb Strewth and blimey

Oddometer:
    I did a 3 day tour with Thai Enduro Tours in 2015 which was really good. They knew heaps of offroad tracks in the area.

Edit:

Forgot to mention that the town of Pai is worth a stopover. There are some cool pubs, the Edible Jazz bar full of backpackers / hippies, river rafting, touristy walking street, etc, etc.
  14. Brian_BKK

Brian_BKK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good plan... But yes.. September is wet and muddy.
    May sound fun until you try and cover serious distances up and down mountains.

Many of the tour operators close / suspend business at this time..
    Worse case.. you can ride the tarmac and still have a great trip.

What ever dirt you decide.. Have a back up plan to get to the road and work your way around.

A friend that runs tours and bike rentals in Luang Prabang at Moto Lao.
    Said he had a few groups that had to turn back and so muddy.. Like ice when hitting the harder packed dirt / clay / mud.

Here is a Lao Rainy season ride from last September.
    We were lucky as quite a dry rainy season.. This year is looking a bit wetter and more like normal in the north

http://www.gt-rider.com/se-asia-motorcycling/threads/laos-rainy-season-ride-2015.12856/

Enjoy your trip.
    Cheers
    Brian
  15. NoVa Road Warrior

NoVa Road Warrior Off Road Hooligan

Oddometer:
    I am in Central Thailand (wife's village). I saw brand new 125cc Dirt Bikes for sale for $800 in Big C. I am seriously tempted to buy one. It is a no name brand from Japan. $800 is disposable. It may be difficult to get parts.

Personally, I would not rent anything in Thailand (especially jet skis) as it is well known scam when you return it. They claim all kind of damages and insist you pay. If you don't pay, you can get jumped by a group of Thai tough guys.

I would buy the $800 dirt bike at Big C and donate it to one of the fine people you are going to meet while you are here.

Have a blast!
  16. Farang Paul

Oddometer:
    Personally I would completely disregard the last post for the following reasons:

1. There are plenty of reputable bike rental shops in Thailand. Take the precaution, in front of the rental company, of photographing the bike from all sides and using a main-road renter rather than a cheap-skate back-street cowboy.
    2. The bikes are sold in Big C because there is no bike franchise that will touch them.
    3. There is no dealership, no access to spare parts for this made in CHINA (not Japan) p.o.s. If it breaks have fun taking it back to Big C!
    4. The bike is all about looks, with lots of plastic bolted on to make it seem fit for purpose. It is meant for posing in the Moo Baan and will fall to pieces if it ever leaves the tarmac.
    5. You can't buy and register a bike unless you are resident here (even then there are hurdles!)

Rent from a reputable company and you will be OK
    flei and L0nerider like this.
  17. L0nerider

L0nerider 2003 XT600E

Oddometer:
    E Yorkshireman...divided between Chum Phae & Iraq

Gene and Nada bought and registered 2 CRF's and they are not registered, their RR is on this site and HUBB, they also did a good guide on how to do it on their blog

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/ride-tales/i-finally-did-quit-my-65590
  18. NoVa Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    I defer to Falang Pauls knowledge and expertise of the local area. I am just down here on vacation, and having the time of my life.

I too am having the itch to ride down here. Agreed - I did not believe the salesman when he said the bikes were from Japan. However, the Chinese dirt bike looks fun.

A second option may be to get a Honda Wave. They are all over the place down here, with plenty of spare parts and mechanics in the most remote places.

Question: for someone with itch to ride dirt bike in Thailand, what bike do you recommend? I am deep in village, farmland. Wife's family has plantation and 1000s acres of land near Sa Keo. Also near jungle trails. You can pretty much do as you like with out someone bothering you. I.e. Registration, etc,

I can leave the bike with my wife's family when I am done.

Also, have 2 old, small, but running, Waves that I am using to ride around on. I would like to have something a little bigger. Not constrained on price.

Thanks!
  19. NoVa Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    There is also a bunch of these Honda Grom looking bikes. Not sure how dirt worthy they are.

My kids are riding on this:

Attached Files:

20. Farang Paul

Oddometer:
    Kawasaki are the market leaders in this sector here in Thailand with a fair spread of dealers (nothing like as good as Honda and Yamaha on their coverage)
    D-tracker is cheap fun but too small for most foreigners but KLX series are tough, well built and fit for purpose.
    Honda's are bullet proof, easy to sell on, can be fixed anywhere in the country and a good all-round choice. They are a little more expensive but the CRF 150 R would be my choice.

There are numerous mini-bikes with pretensions on off-roading but none have sufficient ground clearance for serious riding and you would have to be really small to enjoy riding one for any distance.

If you want to risk leaving your bike in the middle of nowhere while you walk back to civilisation through the jungle, then have a shot at a Big C special. Before you do, have close look at the bikes on show in the store and try bending a few of the metal parts (try the kick-stand) - then