Dirt Bikes to Mountain Bikes?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by mikem9, Dec 9, 2010.

1. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Yes
  2. pontoon

pontoon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised how many people like MTB over dirt bikes! I really enjoy the dirt bike more. Uphill is actually fun, and it's a much bigger adrenaline rush for me. The MTB is fun too--mostly on downhills.

Another plus of the dirt bike is the additional safety gear... I wear a lot of armor dirt biking but can't really imagine pedaling in it.
  3. ninjamunky

ninjamunky ¡Que buenos son! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went from dirt bikes to mtb. Part of it was due to a lack of good trails in my area. I like rocky/rooty single track and trails like that are not really accessible in my area to motos, except on private land. All the OHV trails around me cater to 4 wheelers (and now side by sides). :bluduh

My mtb addiction started though when a buddy talked me into a trip to Snowshoe to ride downhill mtb. What a blast! After that I bought a cheap hardtail 27.5+ mtb and found that there was actually a good variety of trails in my area and much closer to me than anywhere I could ride the dirt bike. :thumb

The next year I test rode a full suspension mtb and I was all in. Yeah the hillclimbs aren't as fun, but overall I don't feel like I'm missing anything. I have just as much fun on the mtb, it's just a different kind of fun... and on the plus side the trails are much tighter and more technical.

Riding the dirt bike for me was an all day affair, so at the most I could only get out on the weekends and even then it was maybe once or twice a month at the most. With the mtb all I need is a couple of free hours, and the energy to do it haha. I easily get more rides in on the mtb in a month than I would all year on the moto.

I'll probably end up selling my KTM 250, I just haven't brought myself to do it yet but damn I could buy a sweet pedal bike for what I could sell the KTM for.

My 2016 Specialized Camber shortly after I bought it. 29er wheels, 120mm travel. I have since added a dropper seatpost, upgraded the fork, running tubeless of course, and swithed over to 1x11 gearing.

IMG_20170421_173656307.jpg

More recent pic

IMG_20180717_171220524.jpg
    nomad_games, Mr. Ray, Huzband and 2 others like this.
  4. Harry94025

Harry94025 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice tandem! I think it would, however, be hard to ride it where we were riding today. China Camp in San Rafael, CA, has a lot of tight switchbacks that are hard enough on my mountain bike:
    EE364768-182A-4E31-AAB4-071D06FC950C.jpeg
    (Not my photo...)
  5. DC2wheels

DC2wheels Castle Anthrax troll Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually my stoker is very comfortable when I swing the front very wide when we start a corner like your picture. Then we can turn the front nearly 90 degrees and I can add some rear wheel lock up to skid the back end. The lines I take have to be pretty different- think sharp corners in a compact car compared to crewcab long bed pickup.

THE key to hustling a tandem through tight stuff is the huge amount of momentum that we have vs. a single. I get back on my single and it feels light and squirrelly.

Another tandem advantage is the high up weight. We can ride to almost a stop and just balance. Try this- take a broom and balance it upside down on a finger. Now take off the the business end and try to balance just the handle. Not as easy, huh?

Of course that weight has big pluses and minuses. Our momentum will have us easily roll over stuff that might give a single some problems. But come time to climb steep stuff you would definitely be waiting for us at the top. Again, think big truck- fast on the descents and flats but SLOW on the climbs.
  6. Harry94025

Harry94025 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Respect and kudos for your bike handling skills! The photo of the switchback is obviously not scaled, but that’s single track and the turns are so tight that some are difficult to negotiate on a single. My riding partner crashed on a descent at one of these the previous time we were there.

If you bring your tandem here some time, I’ll pay for your trail access permit if you let me ride along to watch you guys ride these trails... :-)
  7. The Cyclops

The Cyclops Long timer

Oddometer:
    Old thread I know, I just stumbled on it. I have made the switch a couple of years ago. I hardly ever ride my dirt bikes any more. Its just so easy to hope on in an old pair of shorts and go for a quick spin. Then the next thing you know I am an addict with a stable of 'spensive steeds. I love it, I just wish I wasn't 50 when I started!
    nomad_games and ninjamunky like this.
  8. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    When he said tandem, I though he meant the Citabria.
    Harry94025 likes this.
  9. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm making the switch, at least for a while. There's a number of factors why.
    • Good dirt biking is at least an hour and a half from me, sometimes 2.5 hours, where really excellent MTB trails are 30 mins to an hour tops. This is the big one. I'm really tired of spending so much time driving on the highway to get to my hobbies.
    • I used to bicycle commute and was about 25 pounds lighter than I am now and I'm tired of being fat.
    • I'm honestly a bit tired of all the engine noise when I'm out in the backcountry and really looking forward to nothing more than the sound of the freewheel.
    • I jumped the gun and bought more dirt bike than I had the skills for so I'm backing it up a bit
    • because of ^ I wrecked myself hard on the dirt bike twice and haven't been enjoying it because I'm constantly stressed out that I'm going to eat shit again
    • I know a ton of dudes that MTB irl and literally no one in my area that rides dirt bikes, and I'm kind of sick of doing things solo all the time.

I will miss climbing on a dirt bike though, that shit is fun. I'll prob get a much lighter, electric start bike over the winter and try again next year, but for now, I'm super super stoked to get out on the MTB. Traded my dirtbike for a brand new 2019 Trek Fuel Ex 8 last night, heading out this morning.
  10. The Cyclops

The Cyclops Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man, you got it going on out CO, I have to build a lot of my own trails here. Mountain bikes are pretty much welcomed everywhere....motorcycles not so much. Funny story, was out your way last year, pulled up to the trailhead at 18 Roads after being on the road for 24 hours straight from KY. The guy beside me asked to borrow my pump and we started talking. When he found out I was from KY he said he was originally from Frankfort, about 2.5 hours from me but he was in Denver now. I told him I had a buddy in Frankfort that I ride with and the guy knew him well.
    nomad_games likes this.
  11. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I was just in CO for vacation. I took both and enjoyed them equally as well.
  12. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today confirmed. I def enjoy MTB more than dirtbikes at this point. So much fun.
  13. sacto929

sacto929 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've gotten back into mtn bike riding since moving to HSV. I haven't had time to dirt bike in a few years due to kids activities, so I haven't really put any time into finding trails here. However, I live 10 minutes from the best biking trails here and my daughters wanted to start riding, so it works well. I'm having a blast riding the mtn bike! I ride each weekend and try to get out with a co-worker on our off Fridays. He's been doing it for 30+ years, so being able to leverage his experience has helped my learning curve. I'm riding a 2018 Kona Big Honzo hardtail 27.5+, but may go full suspension due to rockiness of local trails here.
    Ned1 and Green Stainz like this.
  14. sacto929

sacto929 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't think I'll "switch", but mtn biking is the focus for now, and they're great cross-training for each other.
    Ned1 likes this.
  15. Ned1

Ned1 Still kickin

Oddometer:
    ^^ Big Honzo is a nice ride. I've got a Ti Honzo as my trail bike. A buddy of mine, factory rep for the same manufacturer kidnapped me for a tightwoods type of ride on the Bosch powered Remote Control. Once I figured out how to game the torque sensor it *really* reminded me of riding on my old trials bike, minus the exhaust. I prefer the true act of bicycle riding but the new tech is really cool to try and an eye opener to the future.
  16. NuckaMan

NuckaMan Space Available

Oddometer:
    I can't imagine life without both. I enjoy both MTB'ing and dirt biking (motorcycles in general) to almost a obsessive degree. But if someone where to point a gun to my head and told me I had to choose only one....I do have to admit, MTB'ing would be the one I would choose.

Main reason why, I enjoy getting out in the local hills (and distant hills) immensely. MTB'ing just expands my access more than dirt bikes would.
    Green Stainz, Mr. Ray and Ned1 like this.
  17. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray Glistening Shaft Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't switched but I certainly have become a more fitness oriented person, and a better motorcyclist, as a result of the MTB miles I log. I started riding motos at 9 and MTB about 5 years ago. When in Pisgah follow the lead.
    Green Stainz likes this.
  18. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    The enviro-Nazis don't mind mtn bikes as much as they do dirt bikes, making local riding areas much easier to keep open.

...just keep riding safely around other trail users.

The upside to mtn biking also manifests itself around your waist, making the moto that much faster cause it doesn't have to schlepp as much weight around.

If you like mtn biking, you'll probably enjoy gravel as well. Not nearly many weather-related riding bans. :nah

M
  19. mikem9

mikem9 Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Old thread, interested in current replies.
  20. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    I sold my motorcycle last year. I'm full on dirt bag hippie bicyclist now. :lol3
    UngaWunga, 2whlrcr and Green Stainz like this.