Dirt Bikes to Mountain Bikes?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by mikem9, Dec 9, 2010.

1. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Post #91, my views haven't changed.
  2. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:
    After a year and a half of dirtbiking (after 10 years on street bikes) that resulted in two bad wrecks that could have been much worse, I sold my dirtbike last sept and bought my first MTB. An aluminum Trek all-around trail bike with 130 travel. I sold that one this spring and upgraded to a carbon long travel 29er with 170 travel. I ride about 3 or 4 times a week. I fucking love it. I have way more fun on mtb. I like the silence of not having the motor out in the woods. I also actually like the climbing. Plus I can take my dog with me mountain biking, which obviously doesn't work that well on a dirtbike. Plus, where I live, really great mountain biking is 10 minutes from my house and there's tons of trails. Dirtbiking is at least an hour a way.

In general, I think dirtbikes are a lot more fun climbing, but mtb's are a lot more fun descending. money-wise, it's kind of a wash, MTB's are expensive these days.
  3. Harry94025

Harry94025 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Surprised no one has mentioned pedal assisted electric mountain bikes. I test rode this Giant Trance E+ Pro last year and it flies up hills and descended down steep rutted trails like a dirt motorcycle. This will be my next bike purchase in a few years; still enjoy riding my standard Giant Trance Advanced Pro...

A7E2654C-8F88-4788-ACC9-3593F8847BC4.jpeg
    5th-Elefant and Green Stainz like this.
  4. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not a fan of e-bikes and I kind of wish they didn’t exist. Touchy subject these days and don’t want to start an argument so I’ll leave it at that. They are fun climbing, and I’m glad that lesser abled folks are able to get out and have some fun on the trails.
  5. Harry94025

Harry94025 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No argument from me... I have eight bicycles including mountain bikes, road bikes, and folding bikes; frame materials include carbon fiber, titanium, aluminum, and steel.
    I tried the e-bike at the LBS’ demo day because where else could I try this technology on a high end product? A riding buddy couldn’t believe I wanted to try the e-bike and would hardly even look at it. Still, before I stop riding, I would gladly buy one of these so I could continue to enjoy mountain biking if my legs “go south”...
  6. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Only 8? Pffft.

Amateur

Call me when you get to 13.

...and I'M an amateur compared to @Ricardo Kuhn

Good conversations about these types of subjects down in the bicycle thread in sports

M
    Bullseye, Harry94025 and Green Stainz like this.
  7. ganze

ganze lone biker of the apocalypse

Oddometer:
    1. I ride a never ridden but not current generation Ellsworth that cost me $100 for the frame, then spent $100 for an unused Italian Marzocchi fork and another $100 for a new old stock Fox Float shock. Built it up with spare parts. Dirt bikes vs my mountain bike? Riding my bike is MUCH cheaper.
    No gas expense, protective gear is cheaper, tires are cheaper, maintenance is overall cheaper.
    Benefit 1: Expense.

But if you need the latest and greatest mountain bike you will shell out as much for a bike as a motorcycle.

2. I mainly ride dirt jumps and skate parks because I can get to them quickly and home quickly. So I have another bike I built up for that purpose. The total expense for that setup is under $1000 and it's lasted 8 years and will ride it until it is unusable. In suburban north Texas, good trails are a bit of a drive and I have three young kids. Either way, trails, dirt jumps or skate parks... I can ride early in the morning, over lunch or evening... pretty much any day. And then come home and get back into the family swing without much trouble.
    Benefit 2: Accessibility.

Dirt bikes are very cool. I would love to be all in with desert riding or enduro riding. But they just don't fit my suburban dad in North TX lifestyle very easily.
    cjbiker likes this.
  8. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I raced bicycles through my youth,but at our own organized races on polished cement practicing for when we got flattrack bikes,people broke bones,bikes were destroyed.
    Harder core then most kids thrashed Sting Rays back in the 70's. Started racing Flattrack proper in 1972,and went for 10 years at it,along with MX and Scrambles and road racing and streetbikes and trailbikes.Specialized started building Mt Bikes,I had some of em.the handbuilt mt bike craze was going big time by mid 70's.

Got into road bicycles rode lots of centuries and it always seemed like every rider I ever rode with was slow on downhills. Flattracking gives people different skillz,speed seems almost irrelevant the faster the better,I never crashed going fast on road. We have killer hidden singletrack for motorbikes around here,nasty stuff,its addicting and beats the hell out of people me included.
    I got pretty good at it though.

Ive gone hard at singletrack on KTM's since 1990 building and riding trails , working up to 4 surgeries in 2015 including a complete Ti knee on one side. Came back and put 150 hours on my 300............and got back on bicycles,new knee is great. For now the 300 is parked,Im taking a break from the abuse. I cant/wont go slow,that's when you crash anyway.

I know it sounds sick but I love long climbs on pedal bikes and always have,not fast at it just like it. Ive worked back up to 150 miles a week on pedal bikes,rd and mt bike both.
    I ride my dual sport from time to time. Really I just like being on 2 wheels,now DSCF3151.JPG enjoying having body parts that work again.
    Bullseye likes this.
  9. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    I still have 2 of them. Neither is registered. The R-RT *needs* to be registered, but since I'm schlepping bicycles around a lot, it's tough to ride the moto AND bring cycling stuff AND have a place to stash moto stuff (MOTTGATT or ATTGATT ya know!) so it's likely to stay in the barn.

It was a lot easier to bring running stuff on the moto.

M
  10. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I rode my 300 today.
    Foot dragger likes this.
  11. Omi

Omi Out of step

Oddometer:
    I lived and breathed motorcycles for so many years, but over the past 5 or so I just have lost interest in them. I still have a big adventure bike, a dirt bike, and an old sidecar rig, but honestly, the old sidecar rig is the only one I want to ride anymore. My total focus has returned to cycling, and I have little room in my brain or bank account for much else. I ride everyday, all year round. I have so many bikes, I have no idea how many I actually have. Probably a little over 20. I'm so fortunate that I get to live in a town that is just as addicted to cycling as I am, and have some of the best trails in the country out my front door.
  12. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    At some point in the future, I'm going to invite myself over. :nod

I've wanted to ride Durango since I first started riding mtn bikes in the late 80s. Still haven't made it down there despite living in CO twice!

Ditto w Crusty Butt. Never made it there either. I DID manage to drive thru on a road trip.

M
  13. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:

this is kind of how I am these days. I still want a motorcycle or two and will prob own a Tuono and a small dirt bike again at some point, but...bicycles is where I started and it's where i've returned. I've been doing full-on lift-served gnarly double black diamond downhill bike park days every weekend, and it's the most fun I think I've ever had other than skiing steeps or doing 150 on a motorcycle. especially now that i've gotten pretty decent at it and can clear all the doubles and big drops. I want to add a gravel/cross/commuter, and a double crown downhill bike, plus build up my DJ bike. but I'm happy with my long travel enduro for the majority of my riding.

i need to ride Durango at some point. Have offroaded, dirtbiked, and street biked all over the state, but have only ridden MTB's around the front range.
    Omi likes this.
  14. Omi

Omi Out of step

Oddometer:
    You should come ride someday. I'll show you some mind blowing trails. Late summer to early fall is the time to come for the high country. This was a big snow year, so the trails in the mountains are just stating to open up.
    Foot dragger and Green Stainz like this.
  15. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Do we get to ride with Bob, Ned, John and Eli too? If so I'm in...
  16. Omi

Omi Out of step

Oddometer:
    I did a ride with all of those guys. Ned invited all his old friends to his dirt fondo to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the first mountain bike world championships that was held in Durango. It was unbelievable!

Ned is a really great guy and takes time to talk whenever I see him in town.
    24174656_1867845813230026_3155353224979601416_n.jpg
  17. Green Stainz

Green Stainz Long timer

Oddometer:
    That’s sweet !!
  18. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Colorado is a-mazing. Ive been out there 4 times and its great every time. I rode the Hermosa Creek trail top to bottom years ago,great fun! Camped in Crested Butte at 8500' and rode to 12,000' then chose singletrack to head down on.
    Absolutely had to ride down Pike's Peak so went out and did that with chasing Rangers at times. Rode dual sport bikes out of Steamboat Springs for a week going all over the place.

Beautiful State.
    Omi and Green Stainz like this.
  19. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    I started mine,rode it around the yard then drained the gas.
    Way too hot to get dressed up and go trailridng out here, Fall should be good.
  20. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:
    started riding MTB for the first time last year around late September. put the bike away for skis in early November. Switched from skiing back to bikes in May this year. Took a dirt jump lesson about a month or so ago.

Here's me hitting all the drops and doubles on my personal favorite local bike park line this weekend