1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Dirt Bikes to Mountain Bikes?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by mikem9, Dec 9, 2010.

1. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:
    took the ol Bird out to Moab this weekend. Weather and trails were perfect.

24 - YTQCWGP.jpg
    NuckaMan likes this.
  2. NuckaMan

NuckaMan Space Available

Oddometer:
    Went to Sedona for the first time to attend the Sedona MTB Festival this past weekend. My face still hurts smiling the entire time from the amazing riding we had a chance to do. Already been trying to figure out when I can make my way out there once again.

Attached Files:

3. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:
    after I got back from Moab last night, i was looking at going to Sedona, but..ugh. 12 hour drive. Not really up for those these days.
  4. NuckaMan

NuckaMan Space Available

Oddometer:
    Moab is on the To-Do list, but it's a 12-14 hour drive from southern CA so I can relate. Regardless, I will be sucking it up and going someday...maybe Sept/Oct of this year if I can make the time.
  5. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:

so not even two years later, i'm getting out of mountain biking. I originally switched from dirtbikes to MTB because I kept getting hurt (one wreck on single track that resulted in a handlebar to the thigh which turned black for 2 months, followed by a wipeout on a flat corner and a broken collarbone), and I thought I'd dial it back a notch or two. Big mistake. I will say, straight up, that I like mountain biking a lot better. Especially enduro and downhill.

but to my point: last september, about a year into mountain biking, I wrecked hard riding downhill and tore my PCL. avoided surgery but also missed the ski season and spent 6 months doing PT. Slowly started getting back into biking in late spring. Rode Moab, Sedona, Bentonville, and Pisgah over the last few months, all keeping it mellow. well, sort of. I'm not real good at "taking it easy".

so about two weeks ago, I moved to Taos for the summer to ride bikes at Angel Fire bike park and Glorieta. about 10 days ago, I went for my first day of the bike park season. Bought my non-refundable season pass, and decided to chill and take it easy all day, just ride greens and blues. Around 2 or 3 in the afternoon, I crashed hard. I don't know what happened because I blacked out. cracked my full face helmet. I don't even remember what trail I was on. Some random biker found me unconscious on the trail. got airlifted out to a hospital in Santa Fe. 5 broken ribs, broken clavicle, broken scapula, collapsed and blood-filled lung, rhabdomyolysis (shitload of muscle cells all dying at once), nerve damage on my chest and ribs. spent a week in the hospital with tubes in my lungs and everywhere else. Currently on oxygen and can barely talk or walk, can't get enough oxygen without a machine no matter how hard I try.

Needless to say, mountain biking and I are breaking up. It was fun, though.
  6. ADK

ADK *********************

Oddometer:
    Holy shit, man. Good luck on the recovery!
    nomad_games likes this.