Dirt in yosemite Valley? In the park?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by 1994ford, Oct 18, 2016.

1. 1994ford

1994ford n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm posted up in camp 4 in yosemite for probably the rest of October. I have an xt225 and am looking for day trip dirt under an hour away from the valley and or other small displacement riders in the area. Google only turns up riding hours away but there has to be something closer.
  2. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope. No dirt road riding in Yosemite. There are other truck trails in the Sequoia NP, even some good single track stuff. Once you're in Yosemite, no chance. Your closest riding area is probably west on 120 to the truck trails. Also, if you head east on 120 there is riding around Mono Lake/Lee Vining area. That might be a bit of a workout for your 225.
  3. Motomochila

Motomochila Moto Scientist and time traveler

Oddometer:
    just outside the park. miami motorcycle trails or shuteye peak high sierra ride. all offroad with trails that border, literally border, the park southern border. shuteye peak ride is the best. sugar pine railroad beds are also available to ride on.
    wrk2surf likes this.
  4. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lots of dirt and old paved roads along the borders of the park. Easiest from the Valley is to go up to Foresta, and then head west on Old Coulterville, which will get you all the way to Coulterville if you stick with it. Several branches from that road, explore 'em all. Or on Foresta Road/Crane Flat road, which angles south and down to El Portal. The roads are not all strictly unpaved, but have nearly zero traffic, and plenty of enjoyable challenges. Stop at Little Nellie Falls for lunch!
    Adventure4Vets likes this.
  5. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Listen to Andrew
    1224R and Andrew like this.
  6. Barakaiki

Barakaiki Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have wonderful GPS tracks that will tickle your fancy.
    Pm me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. wrk2surf

Oddometer:
    If ye seek ye shall find...

[​IMG]
    1994ford and Andrew like this.
  8. Izzy_C

Izzy_C Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey wrk2surf, do you have a quiet insert for your FMF pipe? I have a PowerCore 4, and I do have a quiet insert for it (not installed yet though), just curious about what other folks run. Have you had any rangers bug you about noise?
  9. 1994ford

1994ford n00b

Oddometer:
    I rode down to foresta the other day down around the road closed signs over the washed out bridge at little nellie falls? on some ranch road but I turned around to go back for gas not 100% sure I was headed the right way. Yesterday I Took the girlfriend up to glacier point first time 2 up over 100 miles in a day on the xt225. Paid through the 27th now so I'll take advantage of this weather window and explore more.
    Andrew and wrk2surf like this.
  10. wrk2surf

Oddometer:
    on the q4 the only extra thing is a spark arrestor its not a powercore.. no run ins with PO PO... they don't exactly ride around here with a DB meter usually the quiet core is to pass at a race.

94ford You were in the right direction but there is also a road that leads down to El Portal as well... remember there is no cell service so if you get in trouble it could be days before they find you.
  11. Izzy_C

Izzy_C Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @wrk2surf Ah yeah, I think the PowerCore is a little louder... Well, I was worried about the rangers out at Carnegie getting on my case, because I'm sure the db is in excess of 100, easily. The insert is supposed to bring that down to 96db or whatever they require.
  12. Nobby Lee

Nobby Lee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I lived in a cabin about 15 miles from the park right at the entrance to a network of fire trails that I'd ride every weekend. You can literally take fire trails into and around the park by going to chowchilla mountain road into wawona. To get there search for rainbow road in Mariposa, then you will find Harris cutoff road. You'll take Harris cutoff to chowchilla mountain road. I'd recommend brining a gps otherwise you may get lost. Also check out beasore road in oak hurst. You can access many good trails from there including shuteye peak which is another favorite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    slowerthanu and Andrew like this.
  13. Nobby Lee

Nobby Lee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]this photo is a meadow found taking some single track on a GS off of beasore

14. Nobby Lee

Nobby Lee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]this is chowchilla mountain road

15. Nobby Lee

Nobby Lee Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. KRod

KRod Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use to live in Mariposa, we use to take the logging roads up through Signal Peak that emptied into Wawona by the golf course...there's s network of dirt roads that I'm sure are still accessible!
    wrk2surf likes this.
  17. 1994ford

1994ford n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the help I figured it out and successfully rode out of the park to 120 west on roads I could probably have driven my grand marquis down but it was nice to get away from the dirt bag 2 in camp 4
  18. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I spent many nights in Camp IV, back when I was climbing all the time... good times :freaky
    DrKayak and slowerthanu like this.
  19. wrk2surf

Oddometer:
    Jackass meadow
  20. Nobby Lee

Nobby Lee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Definitely could have been