Dirt riding, enduro & cross training skills

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by B1, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I need to go back and measure an ATV trail in central Maine. We were headed south so went down it but I wonder how people go up it at all. The trail joins a state highway for a short distance to cross over I-95. While still high on the overpass embankment, the trail takes a hard right through a gap in the guardrail and down the rocky embankment. It was OK going down, but going up would require enough momentum to get up the loose rocks. Then there's about 2 meters from the top of the hill to the traffic lane of a fast straight stretch of state highway.
  2. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    even if you've forked over plenty of money for your helmet make sure the brackets holding your chin straps aren't rusting through!

i was shocked to have the chin strap on my suomy helmet fall off after three years of use. the brackets were a very poor quality alloy. later models have moved to stainless steel but who knows it's marine grade or not. :(

airoh helmets have been doing the same thing, pro rider david knight even dropped his airoh sponsorship after a helmet failed at six months and a second one at three months!

my riding buddies all checked their helmets after this happened and a near new leatt is already showing surface rust... what sort of crap quality stainless steel are they using??!!

3. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    happy international womens day... a few snapshots from the womens three day workshop last canadian summer. so stoked when girls ride dirt bikes!

Lutz and Todd157k like this.
  4. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    stamp out criminal dirt bike abuse. never crash near guys like tim coleman.

Huzband and keepshoveling like this.
  5. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    a blue balls ride in the high country. bad weather rolled in fast and we found ourselves in a little snow storm, nothing unusual for anyone who rides in colder climates but with our summer riding gear there was a lot of testicular retraction going on....

pigjockey likes this.
  6. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Last Canadian summer we got to ride with the very talented BeRad. I suggested we slap together some tips for how he does 12 oclock wheelies and voila!

While this sort of trick riding is never needed on the trail, I agree with Tim Coleman when he says learning this stuff is not only fun but it really helps you develop your balance, covering the rear brake, and not freaking out if you accidentally go past the balance point in gnarly terrain. Check out BeRad's channel here.
    Lutz, keepshoveling, Takataka and 4 others like this.
  7. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    A few supporters asked for this topic, so here it is. If you like to smoke, is a 250 or 300 better? Of course this is overlooking the existence of a few 125 and 200 models as essentially the big debate seems to be in the 250 v 300 arena. These aren't just my dodgy opinions, I've researched very deeply (e.g. five minutes on Google) to present a diverse array of equally dodgy opinions from others.

keepshoveling and Huzband like this.
  8. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    BREAKING NEWS Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki have publicly apologized for not updating their dirt bikes since 1998, and promised to introduce hydraulic clutches and six gears to their dirt bikes.

While in Europe KTM has given up trying to make WP suspension work and swapped over to KYB, Beta has promised to introduce a concept called 'quality control' in its factory, and Gas Gas is changing its name to Petroleum Petroleum.

Happy days!
    Hambino, Fluke, justdirtyfun and 7 others like this.
  9. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    April 1st comes early in the antipodes!
    cal08, B1 and mo_rider like this.
  10. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    It's not dirt riding. It's not even adventure riding although there were enough dirt roads and rough sections to qualify!

This is part one of a 10 part Vietnam series which I've posted on the adventure riding channel. If you thought I rode dirt bikes badly wait till you see my on the road lol. Not sponsored by these guys but I'm happy to promote them with these vids because of the awesome charity work they do and I'm one of their volunteer workers.

Hambino, Huzband and keepshoveling like this.
  11. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Just for the two stroke guys... although even if you ride a thumper this vid does contain footage of the devastatingly masculine Chuck Harder (yes that is his real name).

Lutz and Huzband like this.
  12. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    As far as we know you only get the one life to live so make the most of it. At 77 Paul Rodden is making sure he savors every moment and he's a living reminder we aren't here for all that long, so enjoy it!

13. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Anyone else annoyed with the general level and standard of reviews?

Random nonsense... as usual!

My mostest favouritist track in Canadia!

Unfortunately Beta's quality control seems to be taking a dive over the past year. Apart from the small niggling stuff, the poor anodizing on the fork internals with Race editions was terrible and took ages to get fixed. And now there are reports of a small but significant number of main bearing failures in the two strokes.
    keepshoveling and PistonPants like this.
  14. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Plenty of bike and rider carnage at the Kosciusko Killer hard enduro. Great to see everyday riders battling away in bronze and silver class, with most managing to finish at least one lap. The very first climb was so tough that some didn't make it any further.

Some of the gold sections looked so hard that many were wondering whether anyone could manage a lap. But a pile of volunteers and ropes meant all the gold riders got through... I did hear that Tim Coleman managed to ride it five out of six times without needing the rope at all. [​IMG]

And Ruben Chadwick managed to ride down the steepest descent which even Tim was bull dogging down.... absolutely crazy seeing them ride this stuff. [​IMG]

15. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Crikey!
    The difficulty level of top tier hard enduro is going through the roof. I wonder if we will see hybrid trials / hard enduro events in the future? Interestin thought.
  16. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Last time I rode with 77 year old Paul Rodden he said get on with ridin' or get on with dyin'. And then proceeded to run me ragged as I tried to keep up with him through some tight single track.

I dedicate this vid to him. And yes he's still around and will kick my sorry ass this Canadian summer.

Allucaneat, Huzband, cal08 and 3 others like this.
  17. Dualsport4ever

Dualsport4ever Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's to many more "moments" before our time passes.
    B1, Huzband, cal08 and 1 other person like this.
  18. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    the suicidal guys who entered gold class at the recent Kosciusko Killer hard enduro. Not for the faint hearted....

outbacktm, Huzband, penzone and 3 others like this.
  19. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Who really needs a reason....?

Huzband and GotFog like this.
  20. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    If you are into action cams here is a comparison of the top Sony and Gopro models - just a personal opinion and as always I'd suggest checking out other reviews too. That's if you can find an honest one! Both manufacturers hand these out like candy to the big Youtubers on the understanding they will rave about them and not talk about the problems lol.

These are quite expensive models and I suspect for most riders they will find cheaper alternatives do a good enough job.