Dirt riding, enduro & cross training skills

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by B1, Apr 23, 2014.

1. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    I posted a while back about main bearing failures on late model Beta two strokes. Unfortunately since then I've had dozens of cases reported directly to me, most at low hours and one happened before even the first hour was clocked up, the rider barely got into the trail.

Apparently the factory is staying tight lipped about the problem so distributors and dealers are trying to work out the issue themselves. Initially some were saying it was probably a dodgy batch of bearings but now they are leaning toward incorrect installation in the factory.

Also at first it appeared to be mainly 2018 models affected and I was hoping it had been fixed for 2019 models, but there are 2019 main bearing failures as well now. I'm compiling all these cases and hoping to eventually get some solid answers about all of this. I really really hope they get it sorted before the 2020 models come out. And also fix bikes where it happens not far out of warranty. It appears that Beta USA have been really good in this respect, but in other countries riders just outside of warranty are being left stranded despite having very low hours on the bike.

Remember most Beta owners are having no issues. The four Betas in our group are running perfectly, with one 2018 RR300 over 200 hours now. A guy in the USA just said his Xtrainer is almost at 500 hours now without a main bearing issue.

KTee and keepshoveling like this.
  2. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    This is absolute nonsense and you are strongly urged not to watch it. :D

But if you do watch it, how much do you really think they thought this 'safety gear' through? It looks as though your arms would snap like pretzels as you rolled down the road....

KTee and keepshoveling like this.
  3. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    China has a well deserved reputation for making some awful motorbikes, judging by feedback over the years. However there have been some encouraging signs that some factories are learning fast and turning half reasonable models. So I was keen to try out this CRF450 clone.

I did a quick first impressions vid a few months back, this review was after a good solid ride. Spoiler alert, I was actually quite impressed with the bike (for the money) but then found out the manufacturer has shot themselves in the foot when it comes to selling these in the West...

Square1 and keepshoveling like this.
  4. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    One of our guys has his first stab at a hard enduro - Ben has been learning this technical riding very rapidly the past two years and put it to the test...
    Huzband and keepshoveling like this.
  5. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    This track called Deliverance is the most fun track I've ridden in three Canadian summers. I posted a vid about this a while back, this is the return run and it's tough trying to keep up with Megs Braap...

billll, Square1 and keepshoveling like this.
  6. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    They let you back in?!

You must be a smooth talking devil

M
    keepshoveling likes this.
  7. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    "Foot down!"

Lol. The hardest part of using trials technique on an enduro bike is losing the "feet up til death" attitude. Takes me ages to start dabbing sooner rather than too late.
    Huzband likes this.
  8. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Too funny you mentioned that. I have exactly the same problem. It's just a voice you hear in your head.. "don't you dare put that foot down".. shortly followed by the other voice you hear "are you ok?".
    Harvey Krumpet likes this.
  9. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm sure there's a dedicated thread, but watching Graham Jarvis take another Erzberg podium was awesome. Clips of the five leaders rolling thru several sections showed him to be the smoothest, seemingly effortless. Training pays dividends. Still working on my standing dab technique...
  10. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    It makes me wonder. Even it were available here, why would someone buy thirteen year old technology, with crap components thrown in, when for the same money or less they could have the real thing? :scratch
    theailer likes this.
  11. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Its NOT for the same money. That is where the China bikes are making their niche. Its half the price for a brand new bike. (Yes older tech...)
  12. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    I think you missed my point. I'm not comparing the price to a new CRF450, China wins that battle every day. I'm comparing it to a good used example 2006 CRF450 which it is a copy of, but with some crap components. Find a decent '06 for sale and compare the price. I haven't looked, but I'd bet the used real deal is a better...umm...deal.
  13. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    But you are comparing a 13 yr old bike to a brand new one.

I understand your point though. However, more companies making dirtbikes will only benefit the consumer. More options is a good thing.
    Huzband likes this.
  14. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Those of us that have short legs don't have a choice: we HAVE to ride the bike till we're not riding the bike any more

:bluduh

M
  15. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ya, I'm a little height challenged too. One time, I stopped next to my riding group.. missed my footing.. and almost took @bigtodd down like dominoes. Would be the equivalent of 'cow tipping' on motorcycles. :fpalm
    B1 likes this.
  16. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    so guess which one of us rode a KTM 640A for a bit? ...and a GS-Adv for longer?

I've had a few 'where'd the ground go?!' moments

M
    B1 likes this.
  17. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Local boy Ruben Chadwick at one of our extreme enduros. He's quick, he even beat Wade Young in the prolog event!

Huzband, Bucho and keepshoveling like this.
  18. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Regular viewers will know I was disappointed when the strap fell off my Suomy Mr Jump helmet due to completely corroded brackets after only three years of use. I emailed their head office for an explanation...

keepshoveling likes this.
  19. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Longer legs lead to bigger steps and more spectacular offs. I've noticed shorter riders tend to duck and roll or stay under the bike, whereas I end up going full superman and moving scenery metres away from the bike with my face.
    Buschog and B1 like this.
  20. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    With so many riders looking for ways to get more power out of their engines, I felt it was time to make a detailed vid giving this topic the attention it deserves....