Dirt riding, enduro & cross training skills

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by B1, Apr 23, 2014.

1. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    As if these videos aren't trivial enough already... a random look at KTM and Husqvarna pricing, tubeless repairs out on the track, an update on Airoh and Suomy helmet brackets rusting and failing, old Suzuki motocross bikes, and gumby log hopping.

Out of interest, what are KTM and Husqvarna prices like in other countries? In Australia it's getting to the point we are surprised at how they are still popular when certain models are so much more expensive than other brands....
    keepshoveling, Square1 and Bucho like this.
  2. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Meet Craig Burns Roberts. Gumby. Reprobate. Dirt muppet.

This guy is crazy enough to enter Romaniacs and I'm hoping to meet him next week in Romania and film him a bit. Bugger focusing on the top guys, I'm keen to see how the average joes goes in an international hard enduro.

3. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    We recently reviewed the 2020 Gas Gas Ranger, there was also a 2019 EC250 there so here's our take on it.

We got to ride the EC300 last year so it was interesting to make the comparison. The 250 is no slouch! Similar to the other European two strokes, the 250 engine has less grunt than the 300, but it spins up faster, revs higher, it's $500 cheaper and a bit easier to throw around due to less rotational mass.

In a nutshell? Pretty much comparable to the other Euro 250 two strokes plus you get that awesome KYB suspension and a kick start standard at a low price.

keepshoveling and Square1 like this.
  4. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, hit the ground running here in Romania. Here's a preview of the prolog track obstacles, looking forward to filming the full four days.

5. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Amazing to watch these gold class riders in the Romaniacs prolog...

6. Crisis management

Crisis management Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer:
    Thanks Barry, appreciate the postings.
    B1 likes this.
  7. AUSROB

AUSROB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ended up with a finishers medal and a broken ankle, top effort Craig
  8. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Like the sound of angry two strokes in the forest? Here's some footage from Romaniacs showing the many moods of a smoker... My apologies to any four stroke riders who might find parts of this vid offensive lol. Big thanks to Carpathian Adventures for the chance to film!

The footage is even a bit more dodgy than usual as I'm using my el cheapo camcorder which cost a massive US$180. Still worked okay though.

9. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Superb 4t sound effects!
    I'm more confused than ever as to what capacity my next bike should be. I had kind of settled on a 250 but watching the 300's climb some of those Romaniac hills like steam engines with crampons has me back at the drawing board.
    Has plug fouling been left to the history books?
    B1 likes this.
  10. Crisis management

Crisis management Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer:
    I like the 300 (2016 300 EXC, carbed..) coming from a 450 to that was like night and day, lighter, more responsive, unstallable (almost, I'm an expert at cocking things up). I converted my 530 for trail use recently thinking I could get rid of the 300 and use the one bike for trail and adventure, what a mistake, it's like dragging a drunk pig through a gorse (brambles) bush, heavy slow and unresponsive despite having more power and well set suspension, I'm staying with the 300.
    I've never had plug fouling issues (200EXC, 300 EXC and even an IT175) with synthetic oil and I still run 40:1, a friend has a 2018 EXC which is oil injected and that has done 70 hours so far without a problem.
    Actually, did a guided ride with Sean Clarke about 6 weeks ago and a bunch of the Romaniacs guys were using it for training as well, so it was a good test of tractoring up endless hills which the 300 did superbly plus the constant log hopping which was almost a pleasure. Disclaimer: that means I could actually get at least half the bike over before arsing off rather than just falling off before the log. :lol3

Buy one, they're good for the soul, but can be soul destroying for the ego! :muutt
    Huzband, B1 and Harvey Krumpet like this.
  11. Harvey Krumpet

Oddometer:
    Lol. My ego packed it's bags and left when I started to push my ability and developed a taste for eating clay.

Some of the Romaniacs guys come up here for a practice and I've ridden a number of their level 5 "tracks" on a trials bike. Bloody terrifying! I'm not fit enough to attempt them on the big bike.
    Huzband, B1 and Crisis management like this.
  12. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    I switched over to riding 2T bikes about 9 years ago. I've never fouled a plug. My first bike was a late 90's KTM 300. I had been riding it for about 3 years before someone asked me if I had ever fouled a plug. I shrugged my shoulders and realized that I had never changed it! I now changed my spark plug every year or two just because. But never any problems.
    My newish Beta Xtrainer has been the same. No problems w/ oil injection either.
    Huzband likes this.
  13. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Re: plug fouling, I've only had one in four years and that was the KTM 250SX motocross bike I rode for a two months.... never had one with the Beta RR300 or Xtrainer despite plodding around just above idle so much. Out of the other three guys I think only Ben has fouled plugs twice on his RR300 over 500 hours of riding mostly very slow technical terrain.
  14. Harvey Krumpet

Oddometer:
    Crikey, that's impressive. It seems the venerable 2t has come a long way. Both of my early 90's bikes with oil injection carry a spare plug and need to be opened up a few times over the course of a ride. Same with my even older air cooled 2t's.
    Cheers for the plug posts.
  15. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    There are four classes at Romaniacs and bronze is the second easiest. But how easy is it? Our guides took us out on a typical bronze class dirt ride and it didn't seem to hard... but the trick would be doing it four days in a row lol. I was pretty wrecked just after the one day and it seems plenty of rider fitness (and a degree of insanity) is required.

billll, pigjockey, Huzband and 5 others like this.
  16. burns

burns Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the support guys, haven't been here for a while but I am a advrider as well as a gumby dirt bike trier haha...check out the latest videos on my series if your interested, cheers Barry for the plug/post. Craig "Burns" Roberts

17. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    A recent vid discussed how chin straps could break on older Airoh and Suomy helmets due to rusted brackets.

I emailed both factories a list of questions, neither replied which is extremely disappointing. However, seven months later a concerned USA dealer for Suomy has responded after he approached the Suomy USA distributor with my questions.

He says the 2013 and 2014 Suomy helmets used an alloy bracket and they did have three reported cases of these breaking due to corrosion. He also says from 2015 on Suomy has used 303 grade stainless steel so there should be no more problem... great news. To read his full response see below.

------------------------------------------------------

In collaboration with the US master importer of Suomy helmets, Speed Addicts has completed a inquiry into Suomy off road helmet anchor plates. Our findings thus far corroborate with earlier statements provided by the Suomy factory. Those statements were previously shared with you via email and on your YouTube comments section.

2011-2012 - Bell Shape, Flat, Material Unknown, 0 Failures Reported in the USA
    This first production run used a flat bell shaped anchor. No failures have been reported on helmets from 2011-2012. Testing was not possible.

2013 - Nov 2014 - Triangle Shape, Flat, Aluminium, 3 Failures Reported and Replaced in the USA
    We have obtained and tested the flat triangle shaped anchors plates from helmets between 2013 - Nov 2014. The XRF Analyzer produced a clear match for Aluminum (see photos attached). Three failures were reported and replaced in the USA.

2015+ - Bell Shape, Stepped, 303 Stainless Steel, 0 Failures Reported in the USA

According to Suomy the change from aluminium to the bell shaped 303 stainless plates took place between Nov and Dec of 2014. The helmet closest to the change date we could obtain was June 2015, this helmet did in fact have the bell shaped 303 stainless anchors; confirmed by XRF Analyzer (photos attached). We checked many helmets between the June 2015 helmet and our most recent shipments in 2019. All helmets checked beyond the June 2015 helmet were fitted with the new 303 stainless anchors. This included the new MX Speed model.

Barry's Questions:
    What was the original metal used for earlier helmets? And in certain cases why did this rust so quickly?
    The corrosion seems isolated to helmets produced between 2013 - 2014 with the aluminium anchor plates. The three helmets affected and collected in the USA showed signs of heavy use. To date it is estimated 15,000 Suomy MX Jumps were sold in the USA and only three failures reported.

Was a recall issued, or any public advisory notice published? If not, why not?
    To our knowledge no advisory was published. If I had to speculate as to why it would be a timing issue as Suomy was in transition. It seems the aluminium plates started being used before Suomy was sold and production moved to the KYT factory in Indonesia. The change to 303 stainless plates came after the sale and production was moved.
    Any customer in the USA whom is still using a Suomy off road helmet produced between 2013 - 2014 is welcome to contact Speed Addicts to arrange and inspection (cs@speedaddicts.com or 866-573-2820). If they are outside the USA they should contact their local dealer or distributor.

When was the change to quality stainless steel brackets made, and which specific grade has been used?
    Suomy changed to 303 stainless steel between Nov-Dec 2014. Speed Addicts has verified this change and material through XRF testing.

Does Suomy only cover failure of these brackets for the warranty period? Or for the lifetime of the helmet?
    Speed Addicts and Suomy do not want anyone wearing a helmet they think might be affected by this issue. If you're currently wearing a Suomy off road helmet produced between 2013-2014 please contact Speed Addicts to arrange an inspection. Despite being past the warranty period and perhaps useful life we will assist any customer whom is currently riding in a Suomy helmet with the triangle shaped aluminium anchor plates.

Per my answers above Speed Addicts is willing to field any questions or concerns from customers inside the USA. International customers should reach out to their local dealers for assistance. If they do not receive the proper attention Speed Addicts can assist them with contacting their local distributor.

If you should have more questions or require clarification by email or phone I'm at your service. Please accept my apologies for the delay in providing these answers. Although Speed Addicts deeply cares about our customers we are a small operation with limited resources.

Best Regards,
    Schad VanLeeuwen
    Speed Addicts
  18. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    a training vid for the endurocross guys but it's also useful for natural logs on the track.

19. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    i considered focusing on the pro riders at romaniacs but then decided bugger it, i would rather focus on the everyday heroes. i did have a brief chat with graham jarvis while he was doing interviews but figure he's had plenty of attention already... let the average joes have their fifteen minutes of fame!

keepshoveling and Bucho like this.
  20. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    great to see colton haaker just messing around on a dirt bike instead of racing. these are some brief clips from traction erag's 42 minute doco with graham jarvis and colton haaker.

keepshoveling likes this.