Dirt riding, enduro & cross training skills

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by B1, Apr 23, 2014.

1. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    everyone has their particular phobia when it comes to dirt riding. mine are:
    1 muddy ruts because i shattered my lower leg in some
    2 big tractor tires because of my dicky knees and you can't put your feet down to save yourself.

so i've been eyeing off this particular tractor tire for ages and finally had a go....

2. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Eerie that you posted that today. I was out for a squirt yesterday and spent some time playing on hills with vertical steps crossing them. Never really thought about technique, just rode it and tried to avoid looping the bike. Some of the steps would be 3 - 4ft high.
    Later on I was playing in a "trials" area which has big tractor tyres and concrete pipes. For the life of me I could not build up the confidence to have a go.
    Weird how the old brain works. Stick a step into the scenery, no worries, put a tractor tire in front of me. Nope.
    B1 and Bucho like this.
  3. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    a bit of fun with one of the deceptively tricky bits on our tracks... especially when wet. and a special feature is some cheer leaders.

keepshoveling and Huzband like this.
  4. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    and in a similar vein to the previous vid, a nasty gully on one of our properties that was just discovered... including a slightly claustrophobic 'tunnel' that required some very weird body positioning lol.

keepshoveling, Buschog and Huzband like this.
  5. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    featuring the everyday gumby heroes at romaniacs again...

this is brent brady who won the romaniacs bronze class prolog and went on to finish the event in style... his secret? beer, of course.

Huzband, keepshoveling and Square1 like this.
  6. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Revisiting the skid plate technique for getting over large logs... including our dreaded suspended log!

In the forest no one can hear you scream. Well actually they can, they just won't come to rescue you lol.
    Mikemm likes this.
  7. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Plenty of mixed feelings about KTM buying 60% of Gas Gas recently.

If Gas Gas was going to go under, then overall it must be better that it survives in one form or another (if it's not gutted like Husqvarna and Husaberg were). But there's certainly plenty of opinions out there about KTM establishing too much of a monopoly on the European side of things. What do you guys think?

8. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    My Sidi Crossfires bought six years ago copped huge amounts of abuse and were still functional (with intact original soles) when I retired them as a backup pair in 2018. But the replacement set have been steadily falling apart over just 18 months. I asked around and heaps of Sidi Crossfire users seem to be having similar issues. Their old boots were great but recent sets aren't what they used to be.

If there has been a drop in quality it could be linked to Sidi moving most of the manufacturing from Italy to the Romanian factory since around 2012. Other 'Italian' brands?
    Alpinestar made in Croatia
    Forma made in Romania
    TCX (formerly Oxtar) made in China
    Dainese made in Tunisia [​IMG]
    It seems only Gaerne are still manfacturing their boots in Italy.

Some guys are having a good run with their Crossfires but there seem to be a lot who aren't. From what I can see much of it is linked to soles falling off prematurely, especially the SRS models... although the TA stitched soles do appear to have issues too.

If you are using Sidi Crossfires how are they working out for you?
    Skootz Kabootz likes this.
  9. El Pacifico

El Pacifico Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve had the Crossfire boots (the replaceable sole version) since late 2012 or early 2013. They have been holding up fine. I’ve changed the soles once. I was not aware of the quality issues some are facing.
    B1 likes this.
  10. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Ever wondered what the pro hard enduro riders do when nature calls? Graham Jarvis discusses this with Larry Murray in an excerpt from Checkpoints, the 42 min dirt doco.

11. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    So are you gonna do a vid on what Meg's does about that...umm...issue? Go ahead, I triple dog dare ya. :lol3
  12. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    One of our guys recently posted a question on Facebook. It thanked the guys who put all the hard yards in creating single track and then asked everyone for their opinion on should the track be left exactly as it is, or is it okay to modify the track to suit yourself?

Often a single track is created with some challenging bits. If you aren't too skilled yet, is it okay to dig holes with your rear wheel if you are struggling? Is it okay to create a chicken track around the tough bit? Is there any problem with just removing the obstacle to make the track easier?

It triggered some very interesting debates. Keen to hear what you guys think too....

Bucho likes this.
  13. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:
    Chicken tracks are a lot better when they're put in on purpose, rather than hacked in by someone just looking for an easy way around. But even a lame little chicken track is better than having the obstacle dug out.

[​IMG]
    This one is about a quarter mile of really nice singletrack that bypasses a steep hillclimb. And it's signed that everyone should take it when it's wet. If it weren't there the climb would be a nasty rut that's no fun anytime.
  14. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    one of our guys bought a trials bike last year and has messed around a bit on it. he finally bites the bullet and enters his first trials event.

Attached Files:

Buschog, Bucho, Square1 and 3 others like this.
  15. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Are dirt bikes really that dangerous? And in what sense? Will they turn you into a happy overweight alcoholic?

The chief reprobate of Traction eRag, Dallas Shannon, spouts some spurious nonsense masquerading as dirt bike philosophy... and it's even worse than my nonsense.

He should be locked away somewhere in a white shirt fitted backwards with the sleeves tied together.

16. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    doesn’t he already live in Canada?
    B1 likes this.
  17. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Do you wear any old crap for riding? Or the latest matching jersey/pants/gloves outfit?

Not an important topic of course, but over the years we have found it intriguing how some guys start out in crap riding gear then progress to expensive color-coordinated gear... others start with the bling then progress to mismatched ripped stuff as they get better.

keepshoveling likes this.