Dirt riding, enduro & cross training skills

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by B1, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    I can relate. I just started trials riding. I went to a couple of vintage trials competitions this season. Im riding a modern bike (they have a class for modern). And I was struggling on the noob lines. It was amazing to watch some 70 yr old guy on some 40+ yr old bike with crap suspension and drum brakes. They could make the 0 line look easy!
  2. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Every summer, Megs Braap creates a practice track for the Traction eRag events, with a combination of tight corners and some open terrain. The track is used for our coaching sessions, but it's also a playground for the Traction eRag volunteers and any visiting pro riders...

CaseyB, Huzband and Square1 like this.
  3. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Riding so slow you are almost going backwards? Why not go the whole hog and learn to ride backwards? Be so impressive you can wear a cape and put your underpants on the outside....

4. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    A while back we reported on the straps falling off some Suomy and Airoh helmets due to rusted brackets.

The bad news? Airoh never responded to our questions so we still don't know if they have fixed this problem.

The good news? We did eventually hear from Suomy who said it was limited to 2013 and 2014 models. They have been using proper stainless steel ever since.

5. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Just for something slightly different... Minimal talking, the music ramped up a bit, and Megs Braap blitzing her way through some excellent single track!

Bucho and Vectored2adv like this.
  6. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Why do we ride dirt bikes? There are all kinds of reasons, but we are fascinated by the re-entry riders... so many in their 40s and 50s are jumping back into the sport, or for the very first time.
    keepshoveling likes this.
  7. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Certain KTM models are made in India and China, and the first off road bike made in China arrives soon... the KTM 390 Adventure. Will the enduro bikes follow suit at some point? Are quality control issues worse for Chinese or Indian KTMs?
  8. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    It's that time of the year again... the Gumby Rider award.

The criteria include carnage, awkward moments, blood and screams of terror.

Huzband and keepshoveling like this.
  9. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    It's the infamous Traction eRag pylon event, possibly the world's smallest race track. After our training session on cornering, it's rider versus rider until the final winner goes up against Megs Braap.
    lucky13gsa and keepshoveling like this.
  10. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Just a heads up for anyone with a Leatt GPX helmet - check your helmet brackets regularly even if it's near new!

One of our guys checked his 13 month old Leatt GPX helmet and a bracket holding the strap was badly corroded. This started within the warranty period, but the warranty claim was rejected by Leatt head office and the Australian distributor... after releasing this vid Leatt stated they would support owners regardless of whether the helmets are in or outside of warranty.

So check your helmet, regardless of brand. We have had substantial rust reported on these brackets for Leatt, Acerbis, Kali, Acerbis, Fox, Just1 and even Bell.

keepshoveling and bark sampler like this.
  11. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    Many industries have seen QC issues lately with metals not being exactly what they are specified as. Such as 303 or worse standing in for 304 or 316. Nothing good comes out of any replacement of quality with 'acceptable'. Especially with safety gear or life support equipment.
    B1 likes this.
  12. Dualsport4ever

Dualsport4ever Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aha! you're not fooling me - that's one of them two wheel drive Christini's:lol3
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  13. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    I've ordered a few sets for myself....

[​IMG]
  14. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Only the best premium clickbait from Traction eRag - an enslaved dirt rider is shot while escaping a labour camp. :lol3

15. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    A video for all the unsung heroes of the dirt bike world like event volunteers, club members who do all the work for the other 90% of members, and the guys who cut and maintain tracks!

Square1, Bucho and keepshoveling like this.
  16. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Is the dirt riding industry getting too serious? Is the fun aspect of enduro disappearing? More dirt bike philosophy from the nutters at Traction eRag.
    lucky13gsa and keepshoveling like this.
  17. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Where are your boots really made? Most Italian boots are no longer made in Italy - nowadays it's either China, Vietnam, Croatia, Romania, Thailand and even Africa.

And USA brands are mostly made in China which is ironic given the trade war. Does all of this matter? I guess it still comes down to quality control in the end. But it's interesting to see some of the Italian brands milking their Italian heritage for all its worth on their websites but zero mention of where the boots are actually made nowadays!

Elle2Konsai and keepshoveling like this.
  18. Dualsport4ever

Dualsport4ever Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You had me lost in a daydream, truly feeling the magic of these wonderful trail fairies...at least until the end where I started laughing like an adolescent moran. Well done!:lol3
    B1 likes this.
  19. VonBiker

VonBiker Work sucks and then you RIDE! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just picked up a 300xcw and please to find this thread while searching for anything related to that machine after many years of riding big 4 stokes. What a great resource for learning. I have a lot of videos to watch!
  20. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    My two cents, for what they're worth. I notice a marked improvement when I set out to practice something and then record what I'm practicing. Much more so than when I just go out and ride. Of course, I really enjoy riding so that's mostly what I do but still, the difference is there. You could do worse than just watching a video and then recording yourself practicing the technique.

I say this as much to remind myself as for you. :)
    Harvey Krumpet, VonBiker and Bucho like this.