Dirt Road Cowboy's Ramblin' & East Texas Trippin'

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Dirt Road Cowboy, May 8, 2011.

1. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    *EDIT* -- I resurrected this thread to keep my ramblings and riding together.
    Sometimes there may be more rambling, others more riding.

(There may also be some personal stuff because I'm using this writing and adventuring as a bit of therapy.)

Follow along if you want. I'll try to make some of it interesting!
    :lol3

Now, back to the original post:

Because of my work schedule, I'm limited on my explorations, but I figured that a short trip is better than none! :D

I went out looking for some of the cool abandoned buildings that I used to like to see, but they're gone now. :(

So, it was time to find some new photo subjects...

A little roadside taqueria.

tacqueria 2.jpg
  2. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    An East Texas rest area...

rest area 2.jpg
  3. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Taking a trip behind the rest area....

oil road 1.jpg
  4. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    A little further down the road...

BLACK GOLD! TEXAS TEA! :lol3

oil tank 2.jpg
  5. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Down the road a few more miles...

Pumps going in full operation.

With every pump, I could almost feel the pounding that we'll be getting at the gas pumps! :viking :lol3

pump 1.jpg
  6. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    And back out again...

Several miles of quiet forests, and beautiful East Texas countrysides!
    It was a great little trip. :D

oil road 3.jpg
  7. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    A quick trip to one of the many lakes in East Texas.

lake 1.jpg
  8. James Adams

James Adams Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went to school in Longview--nice area up by Lake of the Pines.
    Chillis, Traxx and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  9. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Great looking Goldwing. Thanks for sharing. I was in the Bolivar Peninsular Yesterday.
    Chillis, Traxx and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  10. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Today was another fun "I wonder where that goes" kind of days.

Since I only have one bike going right now, she serves as a dual sport!

She's not a show girl! She still needs painting and some tupperware work, but she likes to get out and have fun!

This was a nice, peaceful meadow that she took me to...

bike in field 1.jpg
  11. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    ...And here's the road that she took me up to get to this pleasant clearing.

This picture really doesn't do it justice. It does show the effects of the drought here though.

This photo was taken at the bottom, on flat ground, but the hill was at least a 30ยบ incline. It was loose and sandy, covered in dead leaves and pine needles, and we fishtailed a bit going up, but Gloriana is a real trooper!

hill.jpg
    klaviator, Chillis and Traxx like this.
  12. ADK

ADK hoof arted

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    What is a 73 XLC - DS ?
    TIA
    :freaky
    Chillis likes this.
  13. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    I meant XLCH!

I'm converting my 73 Harley XLCH into a Dual Sport! *

*(EDIT - No longer in the plan!)
    Chillis likes this.
  14. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    So, I've decided to use my 1,000th post to resurrect my old thread! :lol3

What a difference a decade makes. (I know it's only 9 years, but they've been REALLY HARD years, so cut me some slack!)
    Even the bikes are different.

I took this one in 2011.

tacqueria 2.jpg

I went by there a few weeks ago to find the place, somewhat worse for wear.

old taqueria.jpg

I've been through a lot in this decade, and most of it was totally sh!t!

6 family members murdered (including some in-laws).

3 friends killed. (One was a suicide. He was a friend and my employer, too.)

Had heart and back problems that pushed me into early retirement.

Got sued and went bankrupt.

Back-stabbed by 3 of my closest friends.

Lost my marriage after 25 years.

And tried to kill myself 5 times at the beginning of this year.

I'm not going to go into all the details of my fukt-up life. I want to get into more riding and posting pictures as a form of therapy.

I got my fixer-upper '97 Sportster 1200c. Not much to look at then.

A side wide1200x900.jpg

But, I've been making her mine for a few months, a little at a time.

sundown barn.jpg

Her name is SERENITY. (Because of what she brings me, and my favorite TV show.)

I've posted a few pics on some other threads, but I'll post some more here covering our travels.

"What a long, strange trip it's been." - Jerry Garcia
  15. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Here are some more pics from the CL ad when I bought her. This is my delayed Christmas/New Year's gift to myself. I saw the ad on 1-1-20. I brought her home on 1-4-20. Happy New Year to me! :D
    A side close 1200x900.jpg

B side 1200x900.jpg

Front 1200x900.jpg

A closer look at the photos shows some of the speaker wire and lamp cord that I had to replace. :loco

We had a lot of bad weather, and I had to wait for parts, so I didn't actually have it ride able until 4-9-20.
    I'm still going through the little things to make her fit me.

More to come. :deal
  16. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    My SO wrote this about us and the Sportster.

serenity.jpg

Very sweet! :raabia

17. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    I do still have Gloriana, the '78 GL1000. We have been riding her the last 2 days because the Sporty drive belt broke.

Anyway, back to the Sportster.

I saw the Craig's List ad on New Year's Day, 2020. I sent an email, and the next day they said the bike was available, and ran fine.
    I arranged to see it and go for a test ride on the 3rd. The bike started right up, and the transmission shifted through all the gears just fine. That was all I really needed as a base to work with, so we closed the deal on a handshake. (He didn't have the title. It was locked in his dad's safe. I emailed his wife that night and told her that I wanted to get it the next day, and she said she'd make sure that he got the title. :lol3 )

The next day, we went to pick her up and I rode her home. Riding 30 miles with 16" ape hangers on 6" risers was torture!
    I briefly mentioned earlier that I had back problems. In the mid 80's, I was in an accident that left me paralyzed for a while. I eventually got about 80% mobility recovered. I have damage to my lower back in L1, L2, L3, as well as T6 & T7.

The forward leaning apes, with forward controls made the seating position unbearable! I made it the 30 miles, but I had to lay down for a bit when I got home. Later that evening, I went online and started ordering parts. I didn't want to ride it anymore in that condition.

The next day, when I was riding the GL1000, I began to wonder if I just made a $2,000 (not counting parts yet) mistake! I had a running bike that was pretty comfortable to ride, but it just hasn't been reliable over the last 10 years. (I have put about 3,000 miles on the GL1000 in between breakdowns.) I could have just made the Wing more reliable for less money! Maybe?

I have been wanting another Sportster for years, my investments were doing fairly well, and I could afford the $2k, so I did it before I could talk myself out of it! I'm glad I did it before the market took a big dump! I haven't recovered from that yet, so it's been a little tight lately.

I mentioned that my former employer, who was also a good friend ever since our sons were in Scouts together in the 90's, committed suicide. This was a couple of years ago, and it was actually a murder/suicide pact. He killed his wife, then himself. She was in a lot of pain, and deteriorating quickly. She wanted out of it all, and he didn't want to live without her. 2 shots in the bathtub. Keep it neat and clean. Their son, the one that was in Boy Scouts with my son, found them.

After that, my job was gone, and with my physical and mental problems, I decided to retire early. I'm just too busted up and messed up to start all over from the ground up. Plus, I'm worn out and tired!
    I didn't have much after the bankruptcy and all, but I put everything together and made my plan. Since then, I have been living off of my investments. It's tight, but doable.

So, $2k was a lot at the time, but I could, so I did! :D

I didn't keep track of how much I spent trying different things out on the Sporty, but she's almost done for now.

The first thing I bought was a set of handlebars. I found some cheap Buckhorns, and decided to start from there. I had Buckhorns on my Sportys in the past, and they didn't feel bad. I figured that I could go from there, higher, lower, wider, more narrow. Whatever.
    Anything was better than 16" apes!

I also needed grips, switches, wiring, turn signals, a different fender (which I happened to have from another project), a front fender, and more.

Also, with the new handlebars, I needed new throttle and clutch cables and a front brake line. That was a lot of trial and error finding the right ones!

When I got the front brake line, I was getting ready to install it, and when I opened the master cylinder, I saw it was full of grey goop! The PO must have mixed regular brake fluid with the DOT 5 that H-D is supposed to have. The caliper barely moved when the brake was compressed, and the rear was completely locked! Rebuild time!

More parts ordered, and more waiting.
    Parts Giant was bad with shipping. Every order with them took 3-4 weeks.

I worked on wiring in the mean time. I wired the aftermarket handlebar switches into the Harley wiring harness, replacing the speaker wire and lamp cord. I've done automotive wiring since my mid-teens, so I wasn't worried about that.

I need to take a break. I'll continue this rambling in the next post, cuz I'm probably boring you anyway. :snore
  18. peejayess

peejayess Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Keep going, Cowboy, this was just getting interesting ...
  19. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Ok. I'll try not to fall off the face of the Earth for another decade! :lol2

Yesterday was spent changing the front tire and fork seals on the Sportster. That was a major pain - literally! I was in pain! 90+ degree heat, high humidity, dehydration, and being somewhat out of shape really takes a toll on a guy!

It's done anyway, and hopefully I won't have to do that again for a long time!

Still waiting on the drive belt, so we'll be riding the Wing again today.

I've been trying to take more pictures lately. They're mostly cell phone pics, but it's probably better than nothing. I'll get some posted soon.

Thanks for following along! :thumb
    Ol Man, NxtGoRnd, klaviator and 2 others like this.
  20. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You chose a good therapy.

Will keep watch of the action.

You found rideable dirt in Texas? That was my biggest complaint when I lived in San Antonio. Everything was private property. Couldn't do any dual sport riding.
    klaviator and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.