Dirt Road Cowboy's Ramblin' & East Texas Trippin'

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Dirt Road Cowboy, May 8, 2011.

1. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    Most of today was spent waiting on people to come over and buy some stuff that Sheree had for sale, so not a lot of riding.

We did see some graffiti on a wall near the business that my neighbor owns.
    Funny how something can be there for years, and we never saw it until we started looking for photos to post here! :hmmmmm

Eric's wall graffiti.jpg

On another note, according to the tracking info, I should be getting my clutch parts in tomorrow! :wings

See ya next time! :brow

:wave
  2. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How are you liking the GL vs the Sportster?
    JRowland, Dirt Road Cowboy and Traxx like this.
  3. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got sumptin about the brick road? Looks interesting.

Dirt Road Cowboy likes this.
  4. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    We both like the Sportster better. The GL is a nice smooth bike, but has not been very reliable over the past 10 years. :dirtdog
    Honda forgot the reliability gene in this one! :lol3
    Just yesterday, she turned over 59,000 miles. That's less than 5,000 miles in 10 years! :yikes
    True, most of the problems have been PO related, but I've put 2 stators in, and the PO put one in about 400 miles before I got the bike. (He showed me the paperwork.) Also, there have been a lot of electrical problems, solenoids, starters, switches, and replacement parts are not as common as Harley Sportster parts.
    I still have to inspect/replace the head gaskets and water crossover system gaskets.
    And figure out why the gas mileage is so much worse than it should be. 20 something mpg isn't great. It should be closer to 40.
    Plus, we're not liking the seating position as much as the Sporty. I'm going to have to have a seat made that is closer to the size and shape of the Corbin seat that I have on the Sporty.

I think I have put almost 3,000 miles on the Sporty since April 9th of this year. I am putting in a full Alto Carbonite Clutch kit with the heavy duty spring plate, hopefully tomorrow. That should easily last me 50,000 miles or more!

The Sporty being over 100 lbs lighter is a big plus, too. We feel more confident on it, but we also haven't done any long road trips.
    For a solid mount, it rides surprisingly well. It isn't as fast as the GL, but I don't need to be going 120 - 130 mph anyway. I topped out at about 115+ on the speedo.
    It does have better low end pick up than the GL, so it gets right out of the way in traffic.

So, in a rambling way, that's where we are at. We will be keeping the GL, and hopefully make her as reliable (and comfortable) as she should be, but most of our rides will still be on the Sporty! :super

5. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Well, there's 3 brick roads in those photos! :lol3
    (And I probably should mention that Sheree is not fond of brick roads! She thinks they may be slippery, and gets nervous when we ride on them.)

The one with the abandoned block is on the north side of town.

From what I've heard, prior to the oil crash in the early 80's, the north side was a really nice place. Old Craftsman Style houses are all around, as well as some Victorian and Southern Plantation style houses. It was definitely an upper middle class area.
    Then the bust hit, and many working class folks had to leave to find work. Houses were left behind, and sold cheap. The area declined because the people couldn't afford (or had no desire) to renovate. They just wanted cheap housing, and a lot was bought up by slum-lords. Gang activity also increased.

People with money moved to the south part of town, and began to build walls and gated communities to protect themselves.

When we moved here in '95, there was a push to revitalize the downtown area, and stop the destruction of the older historic buildings and brick streets. Driving through there was like going through a war zone! The brick streets weren't designed to hold the weight of modern vehicles, and when they paved over them, the bricks were still sinking and causing huge pot holes.
    The city is still working on fixing the underlying problems.

The graffiti house is a bit south of there.

As you can see by the paint job on the house, it still isn't the best neighborhood. Most of the folks are alright, and none have given us any problem when we ride through, or stop and take pictures. They're just poor.
    Gang activity is a bit less than it was 25 or more years ago, but there are still criminal elements in every town.

The street with the Old Geezers Restoration Shop is on the east side.

It is just a couple of blocks from the downtown area that the city is trying to improve. These areas are very much forgotten by most people. I've been here 25 years, and I had never been down that street! I didn't know about the Restoration shop either!

Anyway, I don't know if that's a bit of interesting history to you, but those are the areas that we have been drawn to explore.
    Run down areas, abandoned sections, homeless areas, graffiti tagging, railroad yards, etc. We're not out to expose the "dark side" of Tyler, but those places have more history and character, and they give us somewhere to explore without even going really far.

To us, adventures don't have to be thousands of miles from home, we're keeping it fun and affordable. We can go on a 70 mile adventure exploration ride, and not even get 20 miles from home! :lol3

We do have some plans to venture out further though. Sheree has located some picture worthy locations in nearby towns, so stay tuned for future developments!

:thumb

MotoSly, Chillis, JRowland and 3 others like this.
  6. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very nice @Dirt Road Cowboy! While station at Fort Hood 91-95 what you described is a faint memory of what I recalled of Tyler. Not sure exactly why, clearly Tyler and Longview just weren't large booming towns. Heck, Killeen, TX was like that too. We were getting safety briefings about gang activity. Oh, and the don't flash your headlights to signal to another car that their headlights are not turned on while driving at night. Businesses moved out of the downtown area and to the Business 190. Could have been expansion and traffic challenges that drove the decision to relocate. Killeen experienced the Luby's shooter a month before I arrived there. Heck, Texas Chainsaw Massacre occurred just down the road in Round Rock! :lol3
  7. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    I got the clutch done in Serenity!

It's Alive!

Sorry, no working shots. It was too messy, and I didn't want to ruin the phone by saturating it in oil! :nono

Anyway, it's overbuilt with the heavy duty spring plate, and a FAG 7200 B throw out bearing replacement.

So, I got it all back together (which really isn't that hard on a Sporty), and needed to escape! :nod

But first, in order to escape, I'd need . . .

escape pod low.jpg

An escape pod!

Fortunately, I knew just where one was hiding! :lol3

Well, I had to get some kind of pic for y'all today! :D

That's it for now.

Till next time.

popscycle, dp064, JRowland and 6 others like this.
  8. Chillis

Oddometer:
    What in the heck is the escape pod?

I've seen flying saucers made from two satellite dishes affixed together.

The pod is more otherworldly!
  9. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    That is an oil rig escape pod. They use them for deep sea drilling rigs in the Gulf of Mexico, and other offshore platforms.

I just thought it would make an interesting shot (and a silly part to the story). :D

dp064, JRowland, klaviator and 2 others like this.
  10. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Very cool. Never seen or heard of them.

Definitely unique in the realm of yard art!
  11. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Well, it's been a bit rainy here for a few days, so no picture worthy rides.

Until today! :D

But first, I had to work on Old Blue.
    He's the '82 F-100 that I've had to keep putting back together.

Old Blue.jpg

This time the blower motor started making a lot of noise.

I wonder why? :hmmmmm

blower 1.jpg

If half is missing, shouldn't it be half the noise? :loco

Here's his new blower wheel to compare.

blower 2.jpg

Much better! :nod

We headed out for an evening ride since the skies started clearing a bit.

The trip was supposed to be to get another mural shot, but we got side tracked and saw this.

abandoned 1.jpg

Another abandoned Quonset hut building. We've got a lot of them here. :nod

Right across the street was this place.

I thought it was worth a shot.

abandoned 2.jpg

So, after the detour, I saw this old Mustang, and needed a pic.

Mustang.jpg

It definitely needs some work, but it will be a nice project for someone!

Then, we finally reached our destination.

Mora Hemp! :bmwrider

Mora Hemp.jpg

Yep. A mural on a hemp shop! :bubba

And that was it for today.

We didn't want y'all to think we disappeared!

:raindance Just a bit of rain.

We'll see what we can come up with next. :nod

Till then.

13. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Not a lot of riding, I just did some work around the yard today.

Mainly messing with trees. :nod

But, we did go for a short ride this evening, and saw this cool truck!. :thumb

old truck.jpg

That's the only pic for today.

We'll try to do better!

See y'all next time.

14. Chillis

Oddometer:
    How's the weather?

You chilling out in TX or is there the final heatwave?
    Dirt Road Cowboy likes this.
  15. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    It's about 88ยบ right now, and should be in the high 80's for the next couple of days, then dropping with some rain.

Hurricane Laura missed us, and we only got a few light rainy days, but it brought some warm, muggy days in its wake! :knary

I hope that's the end of the heat for the year. Then we can take a break and ride in some 70 degree weather! :wings
    B10Dave, black 8, JRowland and 3 others like this.
  16. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    We did better for ya today! :thumb
    (A little bit anyway! :lol2 )

We go by this little Hispanic Catholic Church quite a bit, and I liked the fountain/statue in front. :pope

catholic church front.jpg

That can just about qualify for the Where's Waldo thread! :D

I also got some shots of the stained glass windows, but they're a bit dark, and the faces are made to be even darker. :confused

catholic church windows 1.jpg

catholic church windows 2.jpg

stained glass 1.jpg

stained glass 2.jpg

We found another oddity later on.

A Pie Shop! :dukegirl

Just Pies!

pie shop.jpg

But they were closed! :(

The sign on the door says, "Sold Out." But, the sign in the window says, "Fresh Baked." :hmmmmm
    How can they be sold out if they're fresh baked? :confused

:twitch

Norman . . . Co-ordinate!

Oh well, we passed on the missing pies, and saw this old Chevy.

chevy truck.jpg

I've had 2 of those when I was younger. That has always been my favorite style of Chevy truck. :super

And then we saw this in the neighborhood.

MG.jpg

I wanted one of those so bad in the 80's! :nod
    Now, not as much! :dunno

And that's it for today!

Till next time y'all!

JRowland, klaviator, B10Dave and 6 others like this.
  17. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    No pics yesterday. Daughter and dad ride day. :ricky
    We got rained on! :raindance
    Then a belated birthday dinner at a local family run taqueria for real Mexican food, not Tex-Mex! :dukegirl

Today, I got some pics for the Bikes and Abandoned Places thread. :nod

bird nest 1.jpg

bird nest 2.jpg

I found it the other day doing the tree work . . .

Well, it is my bike, and the nest is definitely abandoned! :lol3

Sheree saw this gazebo, and wanted to stop for a pic.

gazebo.jpg

And this cactus reminded her of living in Arizona.

bike & cactus 1.jpg

The cactus is a Century Plant, and is over 8' tall, and at least 26 years old.

But, the weather was getting a little threatening, so we didn't go too far in our exploring today.
    :devildog:permazot

Till next time y'all!

18. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Nice MGB.. looks like a Limited with those wheels.. few and far between today. I wanted a TR7 (or 8) all through school but it was never to be. Probably for the best as I just didn't have the patience for one in those days.
    Don
    klaviator, Traxx, JRowland and 2 others like this.
  19. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed seeing all the abandon buildings in this report.

Thanks for taking us a long.
  20. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice "B". Had a '71 in '78. Fun little car. Ex took it with her. It was worth it to see the last of her.