Dirt Road Cowboy's Ramblin' & East Texas Trippin'

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Dirt Road Cowboy, May 8, 2011.

1. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    We went for 3 little rides today. 2 store runs, and 1 to get a couple of church pictures.

The first is at Cornerstone Baptist Church in Tyler, TX.

Gloriana Cornerstone 1.jpg

The second was at Tyler Tabernacle in Tyler, TX. We headed home really quick after this one to avoid the rain! :D

Gloriana Tyler Tabernacle 2.jpg

It was moving in really fast, and started pouring about 10 minutes after we got home! :knary :devildog :raindance

These 2 pictures were taken about 6 minutes apart. The storm moved in fast!
  2. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those are threatening skies if I've seen them!

How is the GL running?
    Traxx and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  3. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Yeah, we didn't know if we'd make it or not. All part of the thrill! :lol3

The GL is doing pretty good. She's going to need some work soon. There is a lot of smoke before she warms up, even if parked on the center stand. Also, there is some coolant leaking. She took a pretty big impact when I crashed last December, and may have knocked some stuff loose. I'll find out, but for now she's still going fairly strong. :ricky
    Chillis, klaviator and Traxx like this.
  4. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    The dirt roads that I found were behind a gate that someone forgot to lock. There isn't much around here that isn't privately owned, or oil field land. I do stupid stuff though, and will wander down roads that look like they may have some potential. :D
  5. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe that on TWTex there is a thread with a lot of dirt road tracks in Tejas. I think that they are all county roads. In Navarro and Hill county I can get from town to town with minimal pavement with a little effort.
  6. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Back to my Sportster rebuild . . .

When I put the handlebar controls together, I had to get rid of those horrible CNC machined grips. The curved shape did not give a good grip, and the holes could be felt through my gloves! I replaced them with some knock-off Kuryakyn Iso Grips. Much better!

It came with Kuryakyn Zonbie levers, and they fit really well. (Like these)

kuryakyn zombie lever.jpg

I like those a lot, but I'm not into the "Death Head Skull" thing, so I pried those pieces out and replaced the 2 skulls with these:

brass 1.jpg

Much nicer, and just the right size! A little JB Weld, and they're not going anywhere!

I also had to do something about the exhaust. You can see that it was getting rusty from sitting out for 6 years. After looking at the prices of a new exhaust system, I decided to keep the short pipes until I could get something worked out.
    I sanded them down, painted them with some ultra high temp paint, wrapped them in fiberglass exhaust wrap, and painted the wrap with the special silicone wrap paint that keeps it from disintegrating.

It's loud, but not unbearable, and my SO likes it, so it will stay that way for a while.

And I replaced the broken horn with a 135db horn that can be heard over the exhaust! :D

There was a lot of little stuff that I did, and I don't remember it all right now, but that was all just to get her ride able.

These pics were from her first shake-down ride:

A side Front.jpg

B side.jpg

And what a shake down it was! :lol3

I discovered a few bolts that I didn't tighten all the way because I was just fitting things together. Oops! :lol2

And some parts shook off and went down! :jack

So, I'll end this episode here, and pick up again soon. Or maybe I'll get distracted and post some other, more current ride pics! :lol3
  7. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good luck getting your bikes sorted out. There's nothing more therapeutic than being able to jump on a bike and going for a ride!
    Chillis, Dirt Road Cowboy and Traxx like this.
  8. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    I'm working on riding and motography as therapy. I hope to get better at both! :D
    Chillis, klaviator and Traxx like this.
  9. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Back to the build . . .

The next thing I had to do was get the seating situation sorted out. I made offers on an old Corbin touring seat,

corbin 1.jpg

and a Mustang Vintage seat

mustang 3.jpg

The Mustang seat has nice padding, way better than the stock seat, but the hump where the passenger section overlaps the rear of the driver's seat dug into my back so bad that I was loosing feeling in both legs!

The SO and I both like the fit of the Corbin seat. I may have the Mustang seat reworked sometime for extra comfort, but that Corbin is shaped just right for us!

Next was getting a sissy bar set up for her so she wouldn't feel like she was going to fall off the back of the bike. We settled on a tall bar that I found on ebay, and a large rack to carry a backpack on our travels.

lake tyler east.jpg

And, I put Serenity's name on the tank! (Pic before the new Corbin seat and sissy bar.)

Serenity Lake Tyler.jpg

I like that shot! :-)
  10. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    And, don't forget the comfy new air shocks!

sundown barn.jpg

And then the belt broke! :becca

Now, we're waiting for that (none available at the dealer), and we're doing our rides on the GL1000.

Today's visit, the abandoned Weinerland (not a gay bar)! :lol3

weiner land.jpg

It's good to have a spare bike! :-)
  11. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    I got my new belt in for the Sporty today.

125 teeth! :becca

Now, I have to return the stupid thing for a refund! :dirtdog

Good thing I ordered another one yesterday because I wanted a spare. I hope Dennis Kirk gets it right and sends the 128 tooth that I need! :pope
    Chillis and Traxx like this.
  12. Chillis

Oddometer:
    :rofl
    Dirt Road Cowboy likes this.
  13. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What he said. :D
    Dirt Road Cowboy likes this.
  14. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Are those pipes ear shattering loud?

They sound like it from here!

I thought the belts were lifetime guarantee?

Until they break.

Renting a Sportster is what turned me on to HD. Never understood the draw until I tried one. Hope this one works out for you. What pipes would you go with?
    Traxx and klaviator like this.
  15. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Well, there is definitely a difference in the sound of the Sporty exhaust compared to the GL1000! The SO likes it though, especially revving the throttle going through tunnels and underpasses.

She never has been impressed with the Wing, and in the 10 years that I've had it, she never rode it until the belt broke on the Sporty. She still isn't comfortable getting on and off, but she puts up with it for now. She was upset when I got the UPS delivery and found out that they sent the wrong belt! The Dennis Kirk order should be here Monday, then when I get the other belt refunded, I'll get another spare.

I do have some other pipes I can try later. They are straight drag pipes with baffles, but I have some Sporty mufflers that I could put on for an even more quiet ride. To be honest, the sound from the pipes that I have on there really don't bother me. Maybe there's some truth in the saying, "If it's too loud, you're too old!" (I'm almost 59 by the calendar, but about 20 in my head and heart!) :rofl
    (Except when it comes to potty humor, then I'm dropping down to 10 or 12 years old!)

I've always liked Sportsters. Evel Knievel and "Then Came Bronson" were big influences on my childhood. :-)
    Plus, they just seem to work as an "all around" bike for me.
    klaviator, Chillis and Traxx like this.
  16. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I made my ears too old by riding with loud pipes.

Now I just want some peace from the ringing!
    Dirt Road Cowboy and Traxx like this.
  17. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    I got tinnitus in my 30's from having to hear the constant whining of a cooling fan on a piece of electronic equipment that my employer was too cheap to fix!

The brapping is better than the ringing! :dunno
  18. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Another strange thing is that there is a lot more wind noise on the Wing than there is on the Sporty. When we ride on the Sporty, I can pull the clutch, reduce throttle, and talk over my shoulder to my SO and she can hear me. On the Wing, no go. Even though the bike is quieter, our seating position or whatever causes a lot more wind noise.
    klaviator, Traxx and Chillis like this.
  19. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    My 128 tooth, USA made belt just got here from Dennis Kirk! :clap

I ordered it on Wednesday, and it got here in 2 days, with free shipping on orders over $89.

Big thumbs up to them for their fast service! :thumb

Now, to get Serenity back together and on the road again!

Hit it Willie! :strum

20. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Yesterday's test ride went great. No pics though.

We make a couple of 2-up grocery runs today to test the air shocks with 5 psi, and deliberately hut some rough potholes. No bottoming, and no scraping. 5 seems to be the right number for us for our daily runs.

(Plus, the new 40L backpack works really well!)

I'll try to get some more pics soon.