Dirt Road Cowboy's Ramblin' & East Texas Trippin'

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Dirt Road Cowboy, May 8, 2011.

1. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'm glad you're enjoying the thread.

Most of out trips and photos have been within a 30 mile radius of home. It's surprising just how much you can miss when you don't have the time to slow down and look.

I used to have destinationitis, always gotta be somewhere, and usually running late. I would see something that I wanted to get a picture of, and ended up saying, "next time" or "I'll make another trip later." Many of those places are long gone now.

Since I've gone through a lot of pain (physical, mental and emotional), I took an early retirement and I'm trying to force myself to slow down and look around. This thread is a bit of therapy for all of it.

Maybe I can help others to see that adventures don't necessarily have to be long distance, time and money consuming things.
    Look around where you are. There are things that may be everyday places and events for you, but someone across the country, or on the other side of the world would think they are fascinating.

Like this quote: "People need to open their eyes to all the little things around. You really don't have to ride the world, your backyard is full of adventure." - @jay547

Anyway, we'll keep exploring, and hopefully be able to bring y'all some interesting stuff to see.
    Glad to have y'all on board.

:wave

2. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That used to be me as well. I was riding a lot of miles but not really stopping to explore. At some point I decided to start explore those roads and places that I had just ridden by so many times in the past.
    steved57, Chillis, Traxx and 5 others like this.
  3. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Today was a wet, misty rainy day. I wanted to post something though, so I stopped for this.

misty valley.jpg

This valley should be full of color right now, but it hasn't been changing yet. The trees seem to be going from green to empty. Very unusual for us.

I've still been riding almost every day, but the trips are pretty mundane. I'm about to give up on fall colors, and go back to other things.

We'll see.

Till next time y'all.

4. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    We had heavy fog and wet grass this morning here. Waited for conditions to improve, and by noon I was headed out on the AT. Pushed the bike out of the garage, closed the door, hopped on the bike, hit the start button, and wha, wha, wha, clickkkkkkkkk. :lol3 Mr. Yuasa said "I gave you a warning last time out!" Noted. :bluduh
    Traxx, JRowland, dp064 and 2 others like this.
  5. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    I know the feeling. I tried to start my car today, and there wasn't enough battery to run the stereo! :lol3

No worry, the bikes run, and I have only driven my car 4 times in the last 12+ months. I didn't even bother to register it this year. :lol3
    Traxx, JRowland, motocopter and 2 others like this.
  6. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    All this dead battery talk, this is why I keep a couple jumpers at the ready.

Almost needed on the Husky and Harley ever since getting the Monkey. Little bastard stealing away attention from the bigger bikes!

InShot_20201127_165622219.jpg
    Rob R., B10Dave, dp064 and 7 others like this.
  7. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    For what I had planned with the AT, the CB was not going to cut it. Besides, I didn't have the correct riding gear for the CB. So, time was better spent getting a new battery. Really though, when I run out of bikes, I have a cool F-150 to take. My mini-van days are long gone! :lol3

:beer
    dp064, Traxx, JRowland and 3 others like this.
  8. ringoism

ringoism n00b

Oddometer:
    (Not being retired) I only occasionally check out ADVrider, and being here in the Himalayas we think mostly in terms of epic rides - so I've hardly ever perused the daytrippin' threads...

....Then when I finally did I was up till late night going through your first 14 pages (will probably finish off the rest here this chilly, sunless Sunday afternoon).

Wow, Cowboy... what a service you have done us here... Thank You! The down-home wit and humor is an additional plus, and all makes for great reading / viewing.

I'm originally from the Northeast U.S. countryside (yes, there is actually countryside in NJ), but as someone else here mentioned, I attended college in Longview.

And what you have written above is so true: I left East Texas a few years before you arrived, and hardly having appreciated it, sad to say - I never got to know or truly SAW the place as much as I have these past 24 hours, thanks to you. I wasn't really biking in those days (mom wouldn't allow it) and maybe didn't have enough gas money to venture far in the kinds of cars our crowd was always rebuilding/racing (I spent a LOT of time in junkyards - which I've not yet seen pics of in your thread - there were some great ones out there in the '80's full of 1960's/70's stuff that would be worth a fortune now)... but I suppose it was more than that. We indeed miss so much in our hurry / busyness / narrowness of goals & interests.

Another thing: People here in India are under the impression that there is "no culture" in the U.S. - I guess because there are no 3,000-year-old temples there. No "artifacts" they say, being that "Americans" destroyed all they found that was truly ancient (THEY say). But seriously, the Native American (aka "First Nations") and colonial, frontier and industrial and "Old World" and Asian and other histories are all there intermingled, and I believe you've showcased / addressed those with open-heartedness / even-mindedness (and sobriety where called for). And we see that there is so much variety of architecture, foods, music, landscapes - and indeed water tanks/bridges/graffiti/street-art/lifestyles/bikes/attitudes/hobbies/Cowboy and Biker churches besides the amazing stained glass at the Marvin UMC (Tyler) and the mosque/Muslim center I'd never have expected in that part of the country, whatever - all within a radius, as you say, of 30 miles or so. I think America's overall lack of ancient "rootedness" - the "melting pot" with its inevitable constant flux of things and people (no less in East Texas oil country) - and the persistent drive to try something new - is a lot of what has made its cultures / subcultures so diverse and interesting. In truth it's enough to make our Himalayan valley here (beautiful as it is) with its two roads in and out in only two directions, and relatively uniform construction and culture everywhere, seem relatively boring in comparison... Having been here 16 years now, I don't feel as though there's an awful lot left to discover that's much different from what I've already seen... Look harder / ride slower, I guess??? Hmmm... but we do well to not always look to the greener grass elsewhere. I missed so much beauty there in East Texas, a place many of us outsiders considered to be "the armpit" of the country at that time. It was actually a great place!

You're just a bit older than me, and I can relate to a lot of the music, cars we drove "back then" (80's), etc. Love that Cougar btw... and both the Goldwing (/Silverwing) and Sportster are bikes I often thought I'd like to have if I were ever living back in the U.S. again - old enough (in design if not years) to be reasonably simple, no chain-drives to mess with, (theoretically) reliable, user-serviceable, yet still all having a little character with something other than run-of-the-mill parallel twins/fours -Get on and ride, and don't baby them too much. Enjoy them doing what they were really meant to do.

I once rode an old 600XL dual-sport from the border at Laredo to central NJ, mostly on backroads / state roads... part of the Eastern seaboard in the same manner on a DR350 some years later. We tend to think of Philadelphia / Boston / Charleston as being "historic" places in our nation - but the smaller towns can be so instructive, and representative of what life in the U.S.A. has been like for most of its history for many of its people. And (especially in non-Covid times), being on a bike seems to make everything more accessible / observable - ourselves as riders included. I hardly ever met anybody driving a car; in contrast, SO many unplanned, interesting meetings and people when biking.

I guess anyone reading this would be clear on that already.

Quonset huts? Oil-rig Lifeboat Capsules? Chief Quanah Parker? This has been quite an education...

I too, wonder if some of the places that interested us back then are still around - the drag-strip at Hallsville, the paved go-kart/motorcycle racing road-course out there someplace that our guys used to corner-marshal at in exchange for a day of track-time each year... The "Downtowner" - a big old, dilapidated hotel on "The Strip" (hwy 80) that used to serve as student housing when dorm-space had been in short supply... You haven't mentioned run-ins with police much - telling considering the pipes especially - I wonder if the Lakeview Police still are as corrupt as they used to be (habit of riding right on the bumper of their target victims, till they'd cross 1mph over the speed-limit - whereupon they'd nail them - that was the whole town economy, we heard, and a painful enterprise for poor college students)...

Tyler was the big city, and seemed distant to us at the time... a bit known nationwide for the roses and Ladybird Johnson. A lot of small towns were hardly known outside their counties, much less the state, and of course so many are defunct / ghost-towns now.

Thanks again and God Bless,
    Ringo

bomose, klaviator, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  9. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Thanks @ringoism for your comment, and for following along. A lot has changed in the East Texas area since you left. The last 25 years that I've been here things have changed quite a bit.

I'm glad that this thread has given you a trip down memory lane. Maybe you'll get a chance to come back and visit some day. From reading many other reports here, I picked up the slow down and look around mentality. It's still a challenge sometimes, but I'm working on it every time I ride.

People like @klaviator , @Chillis and others posting in Day Trippin' have encouraged me to start posting my small rides and maybe get others to post more of theirs, too. Most of us will never be able to take, or desire to take RTW trips, but we can all have fun exploring locally. There are interesting things in all of our back yards that other people will never see, but will discover through our reports.

Thanks again for your comments, and for following along.

JRowland, B10Dave, Chillis and 2 others like this.
  10. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Today was a crisp, clear, cold riding day. :vardy Sheree was at work, so I went by for a visit. :ricky Not gonna let a little chill stop me. :thumb

But, after the visit, I was stopped by a lack of fuel! :doh

I thought Serenity was just sputtering a bit from the cold, but I stopped in a small fire station to check.

fire dept.jpg

I like that mailbox!

fire dept mailbox.jpg

Well, the tank was very low, but a Walmart gas station was across the street. I switched to reserve and headed over.
    $1.65 per gallon, so $6.35 got me 3.8 gallons and a happy bike! :ricky

No more pictures though.
    It was time to head back home to make dinner. Barbecue pulled pork with pasta and broccoli in Alfredo sauce. :dukegirl

And that was it for today. Hopefully, I'll get some pics of better stuff soon.

Till next time y'all.

popscycle, chethro, JRowland and 7 others like this.
  11. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    That cement pad for the mailbox has some nice detailing too.
  12. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pics of the delicious sounding dinner would be welcome as well!!
  13. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Just to point out how we can miss the obvious . . .

I have gone past that fire station many times (almost weekly) over the last 10+ years, and never saw that mailbox. When I pulled into the parking lot, I went right by and didn't notice it.

I decided to get a picture for the Fire Stations thread while I was there. When I turned around, I saw the mailbox and knew I had to have it in the shot! That was the first time I saw how cool it was!

I didn't even pay attention to the cement base until I was getting the pictures ready to post! Why didn't I see it right there at the fire station? :confused

No wonder we can find so many things to get photos of in a 30 mile radius!
  14. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    It was just something I threw together. It tasted good, but the pics wouldn't have done it justice.
    klaviator, dp064, JRowland and 2 others like this.
  15. DaCran

DaCran n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dirt Road I just found your posts... can't believe I've missed these after a long time scanning ADV Rider. I'm in Tyler as well and have driven/ridden by nearly all these locations and from now on will see them in a different light. Thanks for opening my eyes. May start my own collection.
    IMG_0655.jpeg
    motocopter, JRowland, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  16. Biscuit37

Biscuit37 n00b

Oddometer:

Tell me about your used car dealings in Tupelo? My pops was in the business here for 40ish years. Ran Blackmon for years.

Not prying, just thought it cool when I saw you were talking cars in Tupelo
  17. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I never bought one while there. We had the family Buick LeSabre, the pimping '85 model, before we got a Ford Ranger for my brother and I to share.

Was working my tail off for a motorcycle and once I'd found out how much insurance was for a teenager on two wheels the shift was put towards a used car.

Then we moved to Fabulous Las Vegas midway through my senior year.

I'd been to every used car lot in that town probably 50 times. Loved me some car hunting.

Test drove a hunter green C4 Corvette from a shop off of East Main a few blocks east of the store where Elvis got his first guitar(we lived up the street from his birthplace).

The black 944 and black gen III RX7 I'd test drove from a shop near the Checker's (other side of the road). Down the hill, north of Connie's.

You're talking 2.5 decades ago!

Edit: you probably were in school with my brother and I. He graduated in '95.
    motocopter, dp064, klaviator and 2 others like this.
  18. Biscuit37

Biscuit37 n00b

Oddometer:
    Class of 95 here! And just had a daughter graduate from there as well.
  19. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Thanks @DaCran

Maybe we'll meet up sometime. :thumb
    Traxx and Chillis like this.
  20. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Just a quick post to show that I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. :D

Baby, it's cold outside! :vardy

Weather 12-16-20.jpg

I never could find any good fall colors here. Weird weather.

I had to run a few errands, so I fired Serenity up and headed out.

fall leaves.jpg

Cold, dark and gloomy, but it's real life here.

The sun is supposed to come out later, and tomorrow is going to be warmer, so maybe I'll find something else with color.

I have a few other places to visit soon, and maybe some better pics coming.

Till next time y'all.

chethro, B10Dave, dp064 and 6 others like this.