Dirt Road Cowboy's Ramblin' & East Texas Trippin'

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Dirt Road Cowboy, May 8, 2011.

1. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I remember the faded/duller colors in Arizona. Color seemed to pop more when I moved here. Maybe something to do with the humidity in the air?

One thing that I really miss is neon lights. Now, everything is just backlit plastic signs, or small LED bulbs. Neon is an art form!
    dp064, JRowland, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  2. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This made me laugh.

Here the landscape tends to just be green most of the year. You get blue if you live close to the water.

I love that artwork. What great project for the artist.
    B10Dave, steved57, dp064 and 3 others like this.
  3. CoastieBiker

CoastieBiker ATGATT makes me look like a giant Minion

Oddometer:
    I guess they have to use walls to paint because there are no train cars handy? :hide
  4. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Well, I do have a few of those posted in the thread from last year, but those are more of a traveling art show! :D

I need to go back to the train yard though. It's always fun exploring around there. Maybe I'll find more train art. :0-0
  5. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Well, it's been a while!

I've been riding when the weather allows, but I haven't been taking any photos.

Just after the last pics of the Art Alley, I got some new leather saddle bags and tool bag.
    Now, with rain almost every day, they are getting quite moldy.

The tool bag isn't too bad.

tool bag 1.jpg

But the side bags . . .

saddlebag 2.jpg

saddlebag 1.jpg

The brass hardware has also turned green.

Anyone got any suggestions on how to eliminate and stop the mold?

black 8, Traxx, Zencyl and 3 others like this.
  6. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    We've been getting rain almost every day, while the rest of the country has been having a drought!

At least out temperatures have been mild, in the mid to low 70's. Today's the first time the A/C has really been on this year.
  7. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Clean them up with vinegar or rubbing alcohol sun dry then Mink oil the snot out of them.
    Chillis, Zencyl, JRowland and 2 others like this.
  8. wsteve464

wsteve464 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Clean them with vinegar/water mix use a rag, medium bristle brush and a dishwashing scotchbrite/sponge for the hard to get stuff and the brass. Let it dry. Go over them with a sponge and saddle soap to clean the dirt out of the leather, let them dry. I'd use olive oil rather than mink oil as the animal oils can attract rats or mice. Work the oil in to the leather If the leather is stiff while working in the oil roll the leather as you go. You should feel it get more pliable. You can use sno seal but as you will to keep reapplying it may be more cost effective to mix your own. I use a mixture of bees wax, cocoa butter and oil mix it 1-1-1 in a metal can on the stove let it cool and rub on like shoe polish.

Good Luck
    JRowland, B10Dave, Traxx and 2 others like this.
  9. CoastieBiker

CoastieBiker ATGATT makes me look like a giant Minion

Oddometer:
    That's what I look like after riding in the rain. Guess my skin is getting old and leatherly... :becca
    klaviator, JRowland, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  10. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    I had to order the Sno Seal, and it just came in, so it looks like I have a project for tomorrow. We're just getting over a head-cold crud, and I want to start getting back to normal.

I've been trying to work on some things to bring in a bit of money. I took a big stock market hit this year, so my play funds have been restricted.
    That shouldn't be too big of a problem for my low-budget adventures though!

We'll be back on the road soon! :chace :ricky

klaviator, black 8, Traxx and 5 others like this.
  11. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Okay, I did the vinegar cleaning and covered them with Sno-Seal. There's still a little discoloration, but the mold is gone. :thumbup

bag 1 after.jpg

bag 2 after.jpg

Maybe the sun will fade the darker color, and later on when I apply another coat of Sno-Seal, the color will be more even.

It's good enough. They are cheap bags to start with, so I'm not going to worry about them. As long as they hold my tools and stuff, that's all I need.

Time to get back to ridin'! :ricky

B10Dave, dp064, motocopter and 5 others like this.
  12. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    We've been hovering around 90º with up to 95% humidity, so we are back to normal. The fireflies are back, but no hummingbirds so far.
    I was hoping to get more spring riding in, but with all the rain, and a few health problems, the season went by too quickly.

At least I can still ride, so no reason to complain! :super

B10Dave, dp064, motocopter and 5 others like this.
  13. georet

georet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have had hummingbirds here in OKC for over a month and a pair of barn swallows have 4 little ones in a nest under our patio roof. The parents are unbelievably diligent in bringing bugs in for the young....hmm, haven't seen many mosquitos. Hot here, too...upper 90's with heat indexes up to 110.

The Sno-Seal should quickly soak in with you temps and you can apply another coat. It's good stuff and doesn't make the leather go soft like mink oil or neatsfoot.
    B10Dave, JRowland, Traxx and 2 others like this.
  14. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Sheree sent me a news story from a local TV station about the oldest home in Tyler.

Oldest House in Tyler.jpg

Here's the full story:

TYLER, Texas (KLTV) - It doesn’t look like much from the street, but the house at 421 S. College Avenue in Tyler is a part of history.
    Built in 1847, the home was constructed one year after the city of Tyler was founded. James K. Polk was president and the Civil War wouldn’t start for another 14 years.

Recently, a new owner planned to demolish the house and build new housing.

“The new owner applied for a rezoning with with city, which would result in this house being turned into a quadplex,” Historic Tyler Executive Director Ashley Washmon said. “If you look up and down the street, it maintains a high degree of historic integrity and so if this house was demolished and a new structure was built in its place, it would be an eyesore.”

Even though nobody currently lives in the house and it’s seen better days, it’s the history behind it that has Washmon fighting for it to stay.
    “As soon as we start tearing down this little house here, this little house there, it’s whittling away at the historic integrity of these districts,” Washmon said.

Today’s planning and zoning commission meeting was a relief for the people there in support of keeping the house standing.
    “The applicant did mention that they wanted to proceed with the AR zoning request,” City of Tyler Planning Director Kyle Kingma said.
    The owner now plans to change the zoning to adaptive reuse − meaning the home will stand and will likely be repurposed. For Washmon, its history preserved.

“Can go home tonight and be glad that this house is gonna stand,” Washmon said.
    The property owner now has 30 days to apply for the adaptive reuse zoning change.

So, the new owner would rather make profit than restore history.

Anyway, I went by there to get some pics for y'all. I thought it would be interesting to some of you.

oldest house 2.jpg

A closer view.

oldest house 1.jpg

I can see the potential there.

So, just in case it gets demolished, you got to see it first.

We're getting ready to head out to the store for a few things, but I kept my priorities straight, and took the pics first! :lol3

'Til next time y'all! :wave

B10Dave, dp064, BrockEvan and 8 others like this.
  15. olehipi

olehipi The Bo's'n

Oddometer:
    Grew up in Woodville Tx in the late 60s early 70s. Rode small dirt bikes all through the big thicket. (Honda SL100, Hodaka Wombat, Suzuki TS185) Thanks for the memories.
    dp064, JRowland, Traxx and 2 others like this.
  16. Dsteve

Dsteve n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep fighting man, share the story with those who need to see what picking yourself up looks like. Ride all you can. Sure many will say we as a community of all types of bikes, colors, background, and stories our struggles are here for you. Keep waking up every morning with the F-you bring it mindset.
    dp064, JRowland, Traxx and 2 others like this.
  17. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Thanks, and I hope you're was good too Brian.

My daughter is still ignoring me. She'll come around someday.

I got to take Sheree for her first ride of the year, so that was good. Then she made me a nice dinner! I couldn't even finish it, so I still have half of it left to enjoy! :dukegirl

My son and daughter-in-law sent me a couple of gifts:

Kershaw.jpg

It has a 14" blade, and it would be a good camping knife for clearing brush.

Civivi case.jpg

This one has a 3.8" blade, and has a very smooth action. The pictures don't do it justice. The blade is very shiny!

Civivi left.jpg

The Damascus pattern is pretty, and it's hard to see the hollow grind.

Civivi right.jpg

Beautiful and practical.

It's always nice to get some new toys! :D

All in all, it was a good day.

B10Dave, black 8, JRowland and 5 others like this.
  18. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think the bags came out fine. Treated leather is always going to be a bit darker. If they soaked up the first coat I would hit them again.
    dp064, JRowland, klaviator and 2 others like this.
  19. Dsteve

Dsteve n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    dp064, JRowland and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  20. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dsteve. I have forgiven her, and apologized to her, and now all I can do is pray for her and wait.
    danh600, dp064, klaviator and 2 others like this.