Dirt Road Cowboy's Ramblin' & East Texas Trippin'

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Dirt Road Cowboy, May 8, 2011.

1. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    My daughter came over on her R6, and wanted to go for a ride. We went about 50-60 miles on some back roads, just enjoying the scenery, then she took me out for a belated Father's Day lunch. :dukegirl

No pics, just a good father and daughter time.
  2. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    This evening, my SO and I went for a little ride, just because she missed her daily ride time. :D

We didn't go anywhere special, just having a bit of fun together. It was dark and cloudy, so no pics.
    We've got some photo rides planned if the weather permits. Hopefully they will be interesting for y'all too!
    klaviator, Traxx and Chillis like this.
  3. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you say you were changing the bars on the bike?
  4. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    I did change them from 16" ape hangers on 6" risers to stock Sporty buckhorns. They're a bit higher than the bars the 1200c comes with, but the rise and position are working pretty good for me so far. Much better than the ape hangers!
    Traxx and Chillis like this.
  5. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Not very eventful today. Sheree (my SO. I'm tired of just calling her SO. I'll call her by name now! :-) ) had to work, and we didn't get as many trips in today. We saw these 2 closed down businesses, and she liked the stone facade of the front one.

TLC Office Sys.jpg

We're still making plans to visit some less boring locations soon.

BTW, that's the new 40L backpack. It's doing pretty good so far for a $16 pack. It fits the rack and sissy bar, and carries a bit more on the daily runs. :-)
    klaviator, Chillis and Traxx like this.
  6. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Today, we went to Hopewell, TX. Now, don't go grabbing your maps to find it, because Hopewell doesn't officially exist anymore!
    Here's a brief history that I found:

Hopewell began with the granting of its post office in 1887 and it may have thrived if the International-Great Northern Railroad hadn't bypassed it. The town lost both the railroad and the post office when nearby Swan got both.
    To add insult to injury, most of the congregation of Hopewell's Baptist Church also moved to Swan to form the Swan Baptist Church.
    In 1903 Hopewell's 132 students were taught by 3 teachers in two schools. In the 1920s the school had two-stories and a severely depleted enrollment.
    In the mid 1930s Hopewell had a church, school, and two cemeteries. Nearby schools were merged into a single ISD and that in turn was merged with the Lindale ISD in the 60s.
    Only the church, and cemeteries remain but the town is not shown on TxDoT maps of Smith County. But Swan is.
    Hopewell has managed to hold onto one thing that Swan didn't get - a huge Magnolia Tree that is said to be the largest in Texas.

I thought that it might be an interesting bit of history, so yeah, why not check it out! :D

Sheree and I had no problem finding the Hopewell Baptist Church.

Hopewell Baptist Church.jpg

But right across the street was a hidden treasure that we didn't expect!

Old House 1866.jpg

The house was hidden behind a row of trees, and I didn't see it until we parked in the church parking lot. I knew that I had to get this shot, so I rode Serenity across the road for the pic.

As I was getting the picture, a guy came out of a house that is behind the small white building to the right of the old house. I didn't know if he was going to get upset at my trespassing, run me off with a gun, or what, so I took off my sunglasses and put on my best charm and started talking with him.

What's going on?
    Just getting a picture of the beautiful old house. Is it yours?
    You might say that. Been in the family since it was built in 1866.
    Wow! So you grew up in it?
    For a while, when I was a kid. Want to look inside?
    Sure!

(Meanwhile, Sheree was standing back by the road watching and hearing the whole interaction. She wouldn't get close because of the guy's Pit Bull. The scene is starting to look like something out of an old horror movie that will end with a chain saw, or squealing like a pig! None of that happened though! :lol3 )

He told me how he moved away to go to college, and his dad couldn't keep up the maintenance on it. The siding is all Cypress, and the house was built in 1866, during the Reconstruction era. It must have taken a bit of money back during that period to have all the materials brought in from Caddo Mills to build the place. It was there before Hopewell was officially a township.
    He showed me where they had the Christmas tree when he was a kid, his room, the dining room, the bathroom that was added on in the 1920's.
    The floors were a bit warped, but still solid.

He inherited the place when his dad passed, and the project is too big for him to handle, both in money and labor. He'd like to sell it to someone that would want to fix it up for its historical value, but he hasn't had too many people interested yet.

I thanked him for his time, and for the tour. (BTW, no fear of Covid! 2 strangers just talking like normal, no masks, no fear. Just folks living life like normal.)

Meanwhile, Sheree was back across the street at the church waiting under a shady tree. Our temps have been in the mid to upper 90's, but she didn't complain (much :lol2)!

Our next shot was just a few feet up the road.

barn & fence.jpg

I love old barns, and the broken rail on the fence just made the shot better! :-)

Next stop, the famous Magnolia tree!

largest magnolia tree in Texas.jpg

Yeah, it's big! Here's another shot for perspective:

tree trunk.jpg

There was a backhoe trailer there across the street from the tree. If you look on the right of the first pic, you can see a blue backhoe in the cemetery. They had just buried someone, and I was feeling a little like we were being disrespectful, so we waited until they were finished and gone before we went inside the cemetery.

More to come . . . :thumb

Chillis, klaviator and Traxx like this.
  7. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    When the burial people left, we got some pics of a few headstones. (I'd like to go back someday and look around more.)

Here's the main entrance:

cemetary sign.jpg

Some of the stones go back to the 1800's, but most are newer.
    The newest ones are near the main entrance gate.

cemetary entrance.jpg

You have to go back by the big Magnolia tree to find the older ones!

I thought this one was pretty cool.

David Smith Woodmen of the World.jpg

And I thought this was a great bit of history.

CSA Bartley Bros.jpg

2 brothers, both privates in the CSA, in different infantry divisions of the Texas Infantry.

PLEASE! NO VIRTUE SIGNALLING, OR POLITICS HERE! THIS IS ABOUT HISTORY!

I'm getting really sick of the destruction of this country's history. Don't destroy history, learn from it FFS!

We don't really know what happened to these men when the CSA lost, but these people were someone's sons, brothers, husbands, fathers, grandfathers, etc. and deserve respect as human beings. It seems as though they still have family that visits and honors their memories.

After our visit to Hopewell, we headed back to Tyler. But we weren't done yet! :lol3

More to come . . .
    Ol Man, Chillis, Traxx and 1 other person like this.
  8. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    So, we had a nice ride back, stopped at a few little places, and just enjoyed being together and sharing the ride.

We saw another nice little church:

The Lord's House Church.jpg

And we made some notes of other places of interest to visit in the future. We have to do our part to keep y'all entertained! :lol3

Our final ride for the day was just to hit a few little places, and then have a treat at our DQ!

2 blizzards.jpg

2 Chocolate Extreme Brownie Blizzards! :dukegirl

And a nice back country road to ride home on. It was a good day! :-)
    Traxx, Chillis and klaviator like this.
  9. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Everybody posting sweets while I'm rolling hardcore keto!

Looks good.

I love cemeteries too. Exposed at a young age due to my mother passing when I was a kid. Have loved them ever since.
    klaviator and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  10. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    I don't know if I could handle keto! :lol3

There are a few more pictures that I took of some headstones. I'll get them posted up here too. Hopefully the dates are readable.
    I have some other cemeteries planned to visit soon, but I don't know how old they are.

I like history, and have studied archaeology a little. When I lived in AZ, there were a lot of cool ghost towns to explore, and made for some interesting rides.

There are probably a lot of places around here too, I just have to find the good ones! :-)
    klaviator, Traxx and Chillis like this.
  11. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    We tried to go to another cemetery today, but it was a dead end! (Pun intended! :lol3 ) There was a locked gate at the entrance, so we respected their wishes and left. :asta

Here are some of the other pictures from Hopewell Cemetery that I promised.

This one is a 2 year old baby. How sad. :(

2 yo baby 1888.jpg

Friday stone 1911.jpg

Roberts stone 1889.jpg

McGrary stone 1894.jpg

Gregory stone 1906.jpg

I don't know how many more old graves were there, since we only stayed a while in the 95º+ heat. I do want to go back again.

Next, I'll post some from today's second ride. :D
  12. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Since our first attempt was a bust, we went out for another try.

We were riding by the Oil Palace, our local event center, and noticed that somebody forgot to lock the gate! :nono

Being a fine, upstanding citizen, I decided that it was my duty to go on patrol and see if any ne'r do wells had entered the premises uninvited! :mulie

I made sure to get a photo to prove that the situation was secure!

Serenity Oil Palace front.jpg

Take note of the green collapsible fly swatter at the ready to take down any thugs (or Murder Hornets!).

Checking out the guard tower for any signs of mischief

Serenity Oil Derrick.jpg

I was going to have Sheree climb up to the top for a better look, but she decided that the view was fine from here!

Sheree tower 1.jpg

So a quick trip around back was in order, just to check the heavy equipment.

Serenity equipment 2.jpg

Another site secured, and a job well done by the Serenity Patrol! :pynd

:ilmostro
    Chillis, klaviator and Traxx like this.
  13. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Today's adventure wasn't too spectacular.

We started off by going out to see one of Sheree's friends, but she wasn't at work, so that plan was shot. A nice, fairly long (for Sheree) ride that we both enjoyed, despite the heat. :knary

Then, I decided to look for a hat. They didn't have one in my size though.

Cowboy Hat.jpg

(No, you're not watching an old episode of Lidsville! :lol3 ) ( Does anyone else remember that show? )

Then we visited an outdoor art display. :0-0

mural.jpg

And went to church. :pope

Lanes Chapel UMC.jpg

They were closed, too. :hmmmmm

So, we went up the road to Walmart, bought a couple of 2 liter bottles of soda, some 25¢ navel oranges and tomatoes.
    I told you that new backpack works well! :D

And headed on home.

On our second trip out later today, we found some overstocked Easter candy on sale, 5 family sized bags of Hershey's Kisses for $2. :tb

JACKPOT! :clap

Then, it was home before it all melted! :ricky

And that was about it for today's adventures.

Tomorrow, fireworks and Sheree's first night ride!
    Chillis and Traxx like this.
  14. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    I forgot to mention that I actually drove my car yesterday for the 2nd or 3rd time this year! :lol3

I ride almost everywhere, so the car has been a bit neglected.

Cougar 7-1-20.jpg

This is my daily driver (when I'm actually driving). It's a 1967 Mercury Cougar. 289, C-4 automatic. Still a great running car! :-)
    Chillis and Traxx like this.
  15. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    The fireworks were called off due to Covid. I'm really getting tired of that crap! :kboom

So we took a trip out to Lake Tyler East, just to have somewhere to go.
    On the way, we saw this old abandoned place.

Old House 1.jpg

There are actually 2 more houses back behind all that overgrown area. Maybe we'll try to get them from another angle sometime.

It was a good day for a ride though ( only 98º ), so we went to some stores and picked up a few things, and now it's starting to rain!
    Maybe it's a good thing that they cancelled the fireworks!

Oh well, tomorrow is another day for more adventures.
  16. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    I just looked at the odometers on both of my bikes.

I've put 1,145 miles on the Sportster since 4/2020.

I put between 2,000 - 2,500 miles on the GL1000 since 10/2010. That's it for 10 years! :baldy
    That's a lot of missed riding due to mechanical problems and an unreliable bike! Breakdown, spend, breakdown, spend, repeat . . .

I've been living under a curse!

You may not believe in evil, but I do! I've been through too much of it these past 10 years to deny it!
    I believe that things are turning around now, but DAMN! It's been a VERY long, painful decade!
    I feel like I should be writing more, but then I become this guy -> :mully

Oh well, Keep on keepin' on!