Dirt roads or trails in Western Catskills?

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by Telstar_2112, May 5, 2009.

1. Telstar_2112

Telstar_2112 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will be spending some time this summer in Walton, NY in the western foothills of the Catskill mountains and am looking for some decent dirt roads or trails to ride on an XT225. I am south of Oneonta, east of Binghampton, north of Hancock, and West of Delhi. Anything local would be great but I can also throw the bike on the rack and would be interested in anything within about a 1 -2 hr drive, maybe 2+ if the place is good! Looking to ride rough trails/roads for a 3-4 hours each day and maybe stay in a motel and ride more the next day. Maybe near fingerlakes or near adirondaks? NE Penn? Any suggestions or GPS tracks is greatly appreciated.

Telstar_2112
  2. debaisley

debaisley Long timer

Oddometer:
    here is a file im working on , everywhere marked is dirt , and usually there is a lot of exploring in those areas to do.

Attached Files:

3. Telstar_2112

Telstar_2112 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow! Nice work. Looks like some really good areas to explore not too far from where I'll be. I should be able to map out some interesting mostly dirt routes to explore. If I find more good dirt roads I'll post them back.

Thanks!!!
  4. YankeeLake

YankeeLake OldGuy

Oddometer:
    Am dying to see your NY Dirt GPS files into my ZUMO. I'm around the Middletown area and am anxious to find ANY dirty/trial stuff even 4 hrs. away.

But I'm afraid I'll need a quick tutorial on how to get your Trip Coordinates into my Garmin. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yankee Lake, KTM 530-EXC-R
  5. Telstar_2112

Telstar_2112 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    YankeeLake, What Garmin do you have? Do you have mapsource? If so I was able open this file directly in mapsource. from the <File><Open> screen just click on the filetype dropdown and change .gdb to .gpx and navigate to where you downloaded debaisley's file. If you do not have mapsource ther is probably some freeware you can download to open the .gpx file.

I wont be up there until the end of June but I find any good trails I'll post them.
  6. Telstar_2112

Telstar_2112 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    debaisley, I see a bunch of dirt roads in the area of Summit Twn and Blenheim Twn. I was wondering if you rode these roads and if you had any information about the ride. Is there much to see, any particular places to stop, lunch spot etc, if we trailer into the area is there enough to make a few hours of riding? It is hard to get an idea of this.

Thanks,
    Telstar_2112
  7. debaisley

debaisley Long timer

Oddometer:
    summit is where i ride the most , you can usually spend 3-4 hours exploring the state forest there ,good riding. there is a good diner right in the town of summit that has good cheeseburgers , i think its called the summit country store. the roads that you definatly have to do is misty mountain rd , huckleberry kingdom rd (start at the southern end), cole hollow rd , seven ponds rd , gott rd. There is lot more in that area that I dont have marked on the file as well (because the roads arent on the map). Also if you want to take a nice detour ride from that area , head southeast to minekill state park and check out the waterfalls , on the way there be sure to hit quarry rd , its pretty gnarly , the head east , hit brown mt rd , then drive to the top of leonard mountain.
  8. Irnworker433

Irnworker433 XR650RRRRRRRR

Oddometer:
    This summer my wife and I are moving to the margaretville area. We drove all around looking around for houses. Theres some really nice areas to check out. Tho I didnt see many off road areas. Honestly i dont think theres many. Unless of course you know someone with some acreage. :evil :evil :evil
    I hear that the Deposit area has some fabulous riding there. The thing Id like to do is find some cool off the beaten path fishing spots. Places that my plated xr650r can take me! We drove to Walton and looked at a home there. A nice town, but we want more acreage. Ill be watching this thread for more updates!
  9. Telstar_2112

Telstar_2112 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, debaisley, that is just what I need. Sounds great. Thank you! I was going to head up to near Tug Hill but will save that for another weekend when I have more time. This sounds great and not too far from Walton. That whole area of the state is quite beautiful. The roads going out of Walton to the north west (21 and 23) are quite nice for a full fledged street bike. Twisties and nice open farmland views and few cars, but not too many dirt roads I know of in the area, and my 225 just isn't quite street worthy enough to really lean into and appreciate the turns. But it goes anywhere in the dirt!

Irnworker, wow, that is quite a move, from LongBeach CA to Margaretville! I have not been to Margaretville in quite some time but I recall it being a very nice town. You will certainly have a change of seasons.
    I don't know of any off the beaten path fishing spots but I'm sure they exist, but usually the fishermen are pretty tight lipped about their spots!

Telstar_2112
  10. debaisley

debaisley Long timer

Oddometer:
    here is a great suggested route , hope it loads for you , on this route you will also see plenty of side roads you may want to explore, but this would be a real nice ride , and you can see its a 60 mile loop , so it will take a good bit of time.

Attached Files:

11. Telstar_2112

Telstar_2112 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks Great! Thanks!
  12. WindBlast

WindBlast Jesus and Tequila

Oddometer:
    I grew up in Downsville and spent 25 years in Lose Angeles. I do miss those mountain twisties. My sister lives in Walton (Craigs). Just a shout out for a beautiful place. I'll be there in 2 weeks but I'm on the pavement. Have fun getting dirty! Picture is a back road from Treadwell to Oneonta.

Ride suggestion for street riders if you don't mind a long one and lots of corners. Ride from Walton/Delhi to Hancock down Rt.10. Follow sign for left turn to Hancock over the bridge. Go through town and take 191 south into PA and make a left on PA447. It is twisty and pretty. It goes about 30 miles to just north of Stroudsburg and runs back into 191. You can continue on 191 south all the way to Nazareth PA is you want or even to Allentown. Thats a good 120 miles or more and a good way to burn a tank.

Attached Files:

13. Irnworker433

Irnworker433 XR650RRRRRRRR

Oddometer:
    Went to the "Downsville Diner" when we visited there. Had quite a talk with the gal there about the area and things to do. The mountain roads up there are very scenic. If I dont find much in regards to off roading stuff, I really dont mind cause theres plenty of other riding to explore. Were buying our house in the hills above Fleishmanns. Just gotta go find a JOB!
  14. advcracker

advcracker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The head guy over at DixieDualSport used to live up there in Oneonta, and I remember him saying or posting he had a route sheet for sceinic adventure ride around the area. Has covered bridges, old cemetaries, seasonally closed roads, etc....

Found the link to a short ride report...
    http://forum.dixiedualsport.com/post?id=974433
  15. CannonsvilleRider

CannonsvilleRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in Walton too. I am the guy with the wrecked GS sitting on the farm on rt 10 S of Walton. I just about have it back together, would love to compare notes on back roads and trails.
  16. Telstar_2112

Telstar_2112 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good. Unfortunately I am only up there occasionally as home base is on dreaded Long Island so I do not have a good list of rides. And riding a 225 I am limited on the roads. Some recent dirt roads I was on are listed in this file which can be added to debaiselys. They are not too long but I will start to put together some loops. Sure is nice countryside up there!

My Garmin made no distinction between the small secondary roads and the dirt roads but my friends did, so I will have to see what maps he had and then that will make scouting them out much easier.

Telstar_2112

hmmn, having trouble uploading the 4k gpx file. Not sure why.
  17. rdhj

rdhj NJ Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    I loaded the file in mapsource and there are only waypoints and no routes or tracks...is this correct? i would like something with routes.
  18. debaisley

debaisley Long timer

Oddometer:
    its just waypoints showing the location of the dirt , I did create a route on post # 10
  19. rdhj

rdhj NJ Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    i downloaded that route...do you have any other routes or tracks i could get or now where i could get some...looking for mostly dirt roads
  20. debaisley

debaisley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I might be able to make something up , what area are you looking for ?