Dirtcati!!!

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by jdm61, May 24, 2016.

1. jdm61

jdm61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dirtcati-03.jpg
    I saw this on the DucCutter website. Built by Ducati of Bellevue. It uses a HM frame and tank, but a Monster 1000DS swingarm AND engine. Would they have used the older engine so that they didn't have to mod the swingarm? Pretty darn cool either way. The wheels are Sport Classic hubs laced to 18" and 19" Ecel rims. If it were me, i might want to raise the front an inch or two. It looks like that big wheel might get a tad intimate with the front cylinder if you bottomed out. But then again, maybe not. it looks like they used the Monster or SC forks and they look like they have less travel than the HM forks from that era.
  2. Speeddog830

Speeddog830 Interloper

Oddometer:
    Yes, single sided Ducati swingarms have pivot bearings in them, and the pivot shaft is stationary, with just a plain hole through the cases.

Double sided swingarms clamp the pivot shaft, and the bearings are in the cases.

So not easily swappable....
  3. jdm61

jdm61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Monster S4/S2 single sided trellis arm will not fit the Hyper because the Hyper case is narrower and and the Monster pivot bearings are still in the case even with that single sided arm. Google Monster single sided trellis swingarm and check out the pics. But I have seen that same trellis swingarm fitted to a 900SS by welding up a shock clevis to the upper tube of the arm. I have also seen it fitted to a hyper, but apparently it took a lot of mods. I have also read that the larger Multistradas used the same narrow case engine and pivot setup as the Hypers. What I have not been able to determine is if the little Multi 620 used that same case or a 620 Monster case? It has the old Monster double sided arm. From what I can tell, it looks like the swingarm used on the 796 and 1100 Hyper and the 1100 Multi are identical and appear to be a less beefy version of the setup used on the 1198/1098/848 sport bikes. I have so far been unable to find any other air cooled Ducs that use that bearings in the swingarm pivots setup. It appears that the rest of the air-cooled bikes retained the old 851/888 bearing arrangement of the original Monster.
  4. Speeddog830

Speeddog830 Interloper

Oddometer:
    I'm checking to verify 100%, but 99% sure the 620 Multi had bearings in the swingarm like the bigger Multis, but it was a double sided steel swingarm that looked a good bit like the Monster arm.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-Ducati-M...ash=item4199f887a1:g:yUUAAOSwu4BVr-vl&vxp=mtr
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-Ducati-M...ash=item41997986e2:g:gDoAAOSw3xJVaIJw&vxp=mtr
  5. jdm61

jdm61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In this case, steel would be a good thing I would think, as it would be easier to mod/weld.
  6. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Correect. The 620 MTS has the double sided swinger and the 1000 and 1100 MTS has the single sided swinger.
  7. jdm61

jdm61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes, but the question is whether the 630 Multi swingarm has the Hper/Multi.sport bike bearing setup. The two sided Monster swingers do not. Nor does the single sided Monster trellis arm. They just have axle shaft sized holes at the pivot.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  8. Speeddog830

Speeddog830 Interloper

Oddometer:
    Check the pics in the links I posted.
  9. jdm61

jdm61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does that look like the used the Monster case to you too? If so, do you think that you could you used a 620 Multi frame, engine, etc and Hyper bodywork and the big tank? 62 hp is less than 81 or 98, but still not bad.
  10. Roofchop

Roofchop Hands up mother stickers, this is a f**k up!

Oddometer:
    Hyper tanks are 12.4 liters, Monsters are 16. Multi's 15.
    Just sayin...
  11. jdm61

jdm61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And the big aftermarket tank for the air cooled hyper is 25 liters.
  12. jdm61

jdm61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went and sat on the new hypers today. The 939 Motard had me up high on the balls of my feet. The strada has a more normal seat height and I could get closer to flatfooted but you give up at least 1.5 inches of suspension travel to get that and it comes with the factory low seat. Its interesting that they were able to get the old 796 down pretty much that low and still keep the longer 6.5 inch suspension travel, same as the current non SP 939.
  13. DittyBag

DittyBag A bag of dirty stuff

Oddometer:
    So bearing arrangement/strength is the reason for the swing arm or is it just to get spokes?

That front wheel WILL hit either the valve cover or the oil cooler. Hell, the 17 inch will do that if the forks are allowed to have more travel. And, if that fork shortens travel (as has been mentioned) that is going in reverse on this build. The thing needs more travel to work better off road. The way to get there is to give it longer legs (front and rear). The arrangement can handle 2-3 more inches over stock. BUT, longer legs (on the front) do not exist that are easy swaps. Probably the best way is to get the Ohlins front end off of a Carducci. WP used to make a fork in the correct diameter, but are impossible to find.

[​IMG]
    edge2edge likes this.
  14. DittyBag

Oddometer:
    inseam?
  15. jdm61

jdm61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    30" MOL, but I weigh like 250. I am a hair over 5'10" and until very recently did not realize that I apparently have dachshund legs for someone my height. :lol3As for the forks on the 796, the Andreani ones seem to be the only 43mm option that fits without mods that you can get new. Bad news is that they $1500. Good news is that they used to be 1500 Euros plus shipping form over there. With the 796 and the low seat, i could probably tolerate rating the bike an inch or so. Are you comfortable on dirt roads with the stock alloy wheels and single sided arm? I know that anything Ducati powered short of the Bimota DBx will not be a true "dirt bike" I am thinking dirt roads, fire roads, etc.
  16. DittyBag

Oddometer:
    I think that this is a fair assessment. But, I have jumped the bike over some small stuff, and so far there have not been any damages. The front will usually bottom pretty hard. The bike has done some places that were questionable, so if I were a decent rider it could easily handle a lot more. I was able to do some stuff in Moab and some passes in Colorado - even the Black Bear. The only time that I've had a problem with the wheel/tire occurred when I was riding trails here in N.C. and hopping over small logs. I was running the front pressure too low and popped off the bead. Too bad my daughter had borrowed my pump. The fat front (120) is actually very good in sand.
  17. jdm61

jdm61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have no real desire to jump things. As you probably know there is no shortage of sand here in central Florida!!!
  18. jdm61

jdm61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So does anyone know why the 796 appears to have the same regular height seat and suspension travel as the regular 1100, but is almost an inch shorter in seat height?
  19. DittyBag

Oddometer:
    That's a good question. My guess is that it gives up at least some of that in sag. Be interesting to measure static ground clearances.
  20. jdm61

jdm61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was checking out the specs for the Bimota DBx. it obviously uses a 21 inch front, 18 rear and has like 1.5 inches more fork travel than the Hypermotard but what I also noticed is that it has 3 degrees more rake at 27 degrees, the same as the KTM 690 Enduro R. It has almost 2 inches less travel than the current KTM. I am guessing that is why the seat height is like 1.5 inches lower on the Bimota. I guess that , combined with the "offset" oil cooler is how you avoid the tire hitting things when the fork bottoms out.