Dirtdabber's Chick Bike Adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DirtDabber, Nov 28, 2013.

1. DirtDabber

DirtDabber cultural illiterate

Oddometer:
    So, I am sitting in my office Mid-September when my phone beeps.

SuchesRider: "Hey there. Would you be interested in a fly and ride before winter sets in? I need to get my 990 home."

Me: "Hmmmm, very likely. What city, When?"

SuchesRider: "Steamboat Springs CO......before winter starts.....You can take as long as you want to get home......"

I call Patty and start to hash out a plan.

She had gone to the KTM Rally and when there made the mistake of riding a lowered 990 with a Superplush Suspension.

http://www.superplushsuspension.com/

Being vertically challenged it made a huge difference compared to a stock 990. She planned to leave her bike in Steamboat Springs to get the work done and did not have time to go back and ride it home before winter. (I really think crossing the mountains in Kansas scared her...) :deal

Personally I was stoked, the 990 has always been one of my dream bikes. Deep down I had a knot in my stomach as well. I have resisted long test rides on the 990 cause I knew I would want one, I mean really, really want one. This was going to be an expensive fly and ride......
  2. DirtDabber

Oddometer:
    The dealer would have the bike ready after October 15th. It quite possibly could be a race against winter to get out of Steamboat Springs..... :vardy

Patty and I spent the next few weeks trading messages and meeting to exchange some gear I would need. I booked my flight for October 17th just to have an extra day in the schedule in case the bike wasn't ready and started trip planning.

I called my sister in law in Phoenix and said "I am flying to Colorado to pick up a bike and thought about swinging by and saying hi....."

Silence.... "Well, we would love to have you but Arizona is a long way from Colorado....."

Me: "It's only like 850 miles or so, and in the opposite direction from home, no biggie."

Cool, I had a bike, a one way plane ticket, a bus shuttle, and family to see. Now all I have to do is find some awesome roads.
  3. DirtDabber

Oddometer:
    I was able to get a cheap flight out of Atlanta but needed to be at the airport at 6:30 a.m.....

To catch the Steamboat shuttle at 12 noon....

To get me to the dealer at 4....

Cause they closed at 5.....

And I did not yet have a place to stay for the night.

I conned my sister into letting me sleep on the couch and taking me to the airport EARLY in the morning. I love when a plan comes together.

[​IMG]

Picked up the shuttle with no issues.

[​IMG]

The Colorado River. We would meet up several times during the trip.

[​IMG]

Already snow on the passes. And a storm on the way in for the night. Things could get interesting....

[​IMG]
  4. DirtDabber

Oddometer:
    Made it to the dealer, http://www.steamboatpowersports.com/ and they had everything ready, just as promised. Great bunch of folks to work with.

It looks like motorcycle season is over and snowmobile season is ready to begin.

By the way, this is what a Real Chick Bike looks like.

[​IMG]

Everything was still packed from the flight and rather than unpack and start rigging with only a couple hours of light left, I decided to strap everything down Beverly Hillbillies style and find a place to camp.

[​IMG]

I like this spot.

[​IMG]

Camp set up, time to start rigging. I prepped the bike until just after dark and decided to finish in the morning. It was a balance between trying to work by flashlight and the unknown of how bad the storm would be that night. Weather forecast called for snow but 40ish during the day.

I woke the next morning and realized I had left my facemask out on the table for the night..... Oops....

[​IMG]
  5. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  6. TouringDave

TouringDave Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer:
    +1
  7. Gale B.T.

Gale B.T. Long timer

Oddometer:
    You have our attention, carry on!!
  8. DirtDabber

Oddometer:
    We had a dusting of snow overnight and a little sleet and freezing rain but I felt like I had dodged a bullet weather wise.

[​IMG]

I decided to go for coffee and pastries while everything dried, and then make a run to the hardware store for supplies.

SuchesRider told me about a great bakery in town run by an ADV'er TellyDoug.

Almost didn't stop in the parking lot. It was covered in ice.. :muutt

[​IMG]

Chick Bike....

[​IMG]

Gotta love random faces.

[​IMG]

Gotta love businesses with a sense of humor.

[​IMG]

I got everything loaded, shipped some extra gear back home, and hit the road.

Speaking of roads....I wonder where that goes....

[​IMG]
  9. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to reading more. Sounds like a great time :)
  10. CloneBoy

CloneBoy Future Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in, keep it coming!

Nice bike
  11. Gale B.T.

Gale B.T. Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. DirtDabber

Oddometer:

Awesome report. It seemed familiar and everything clicked when I saw the picture and the story about Blake. I realized I had read your report before.

[​IMG]

I also happen to live in the county that made Buddy Reynolds famous. I even worked for the rafting company that hauled all the gear down the river. After the movie was filmed the rafting industry blossomed.
  13. DirtDabber

Oddometer:
    I was really torn on how the trip should flow. I had not done a big trip this year and really didn't have much time into planning this one. I threw together a thread in the Rockies forum asking about roads and weather, looked at an atlas, thought about where I wanted to go and who I wanted to see. It was all good even though I did not have a clear plan. I was comfortable to let things flow.

I decided not to stick around at the high elevations as the weather over the next few days was uncertain. I loved Steamboat and plan to go back. It is an amazing town.

The plan for the day was to head West toward Utah and then South catching interesting roads along the way.

[​IMG]

It didn't take long to get in the groove with the bike. Usually I am kind of timid on a new to me bike, especially someone else's new to me bike but everything just clicked, the bike, the suspension, the weather, and I found myself seriously hauling some mail down the back roads...

[​IMG]
  14. Gale B.T.

Gale B.T. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I
    . <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

page 2 #18 by anomad was raised in Sylva , you two may have know each other. Anomad could keep me laughing telling me about the place:)) neat

Sure enjoying your RR, keep it coming.
  15. DirtDabber

Oddometer:
    As my date of departure neared, the Federal Government decided that they needed to play games with each other at the expense of the public, and shut down. I got to Colorado right when everything was supposed to be settled, but I guess it took a couple extra days to get the message out to these parts. Bummer cause I really needed to take a bathroom break and had already removed half my gear only to find that this part of the Government was still shut down and the bathroom doors locked.

[​IMG]

I geared back up and headed to the next town, it was time for fuel as well. Stopped at the local Welcome Center and asked about camping. Got the typical answer that would be given to someone pulling an RV directing me to the local RV dive, and a warning to watch for deer cause tomorrow is deer season....

Thanks, I think I have some more ground to cover today....

I have always heard the West is the best. I love the Southeast with our forests and rivers, but the vistas in the West are stunning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. DirtDabber

Oddometer:
    And the scenery wouldn't stop.

[​IMG]

Eventually the daylight started to wane and I headed deeper into BLM land to find a place to camp.

[​IMG]

Subtle but amazing sunset/moonrise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I set up camp and spent the next hour or so romancing the night and snacking on almonds I had gotten at the health food store in Steamboat. Eventually I started getting cold and headed for the warmth of the tent stopping to take a quick shot using the night setting on the camera.

[​IMG]
  17. DirtDabber

Oddometer:
    SuchesRider.

Hmmmm, what can I say about Patty.....

Nothing bad I can assure you.

I lurked around here on ADVRider for a few years without joining, thinking it was more of a BMW forum, which I guess in the early years it kind of was...

I signed on in 2007 after finding the Dualsporters of Georgia thread in regionals and started spinning some BS with local riders. Some time toward the end of 2008 Patty and I actually met up on a local ride through the Forest Service roads in my backyard. I had put a pot of chili simmering on the stove for everyone at lunch cause it was a cold day. Patty was one of the riders in that group and we just hit it off.

I don't have any pictures from the day and the ones that did exist here have turned into little boxes with a red x..... This video still exists though. I am pretty sure that is Patty's white helmet near the end of the video. :lol3

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lwAdBH0MIuw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Since that time even if we can't ride we still try and get together at least for lunch several times a year. As I write this I realize it is not near often enough, but when we meet it always seems like it was just a few days ago. Usually I will get a call or text. "Peggy and I are coming riding your way.... Do you and Jan want to meet for lunch?" It is always a great time.

By the way Patty and Peggy are true badasses. I just recently learned Patty has won two national titles in vintage motorcross/cross country. Here is a pic from the Hodaka days site. http://www.siegecraftnw.com/hd12-P19.htm

Peggy in orange on the left, Patty (SuchesRider) #5B on the right.

[​IMG]
  18. DirtDabber

Oddometer:
    I woke the next morning and it was cold, real cold, colder than I expected cold. My water bottle had frozen and my sleeping bag, even with a liner was less than adequate. I broke camp quickly and packed the bike anticipating the luxurious warmth of heated gear. It was time to leave Colorado.

[​IMG]

I had gotten some good route info from Graywolf11 who lives near the base of Douglas Pass in NW Colorado. I was headed toward Moab. :deal

[​IMG]

Over the years I have found great appreciation of how a motorcycle bonds with the road.

I have had a lot of bikes, a whole lot. Luckily I have a very understanding wife. Some bikes excelled at certain things and sucked at others. While other bikes just kind of sucked at everything but were such a good compromise that you just wound up putting a ton of miles on them. The KLR was a great example of that.... I have had three of them over the years and usually found a way to get in over my head.

[​IMG]

The FJR was a bike I really wanted to love, I just never bonded with it.

One thing I like about riding dualsports is the mix of terrain you can throw together on a ride. I don't know if it is distraction, adventure, or just plain boredom but I always find myself catching interesting looking roads in my side vision and having to make a U-turn to go check it out.... Guess that is one reason I don't do many group rides. :lol3

Being lost in the forest on an FJR just doesn't sit well with some people....

[​IMG]

I have searched for the one bike that just excels at most things. Even though I had an idea the 990 was it, and had been told by the friends that had one, I just couldn't wrap my KLR thrifty brain around a KTM price tag so here was always a mix of bikes in the garage.

I did go the KTM route for a little bit with a 640 Adventure, fantastic bike but it was just to tall for me....

[​IMG]

The 990 just kept taking everything I threw at it and asking for more.

For some reason I love patched up rough pigtrail asphalt roads. The way the brain processes the patchwork of navigation at speed speaks to me. I found myself on a road with no idea where I was but it was narrow, rough, and in need of paving.....

Perfect.
  19. jkdwings

jkdwings Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great ride. I'm in!
  20. FargAT

FargAT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk <totally.