DirtDaze is June 7 - 11, 2016, Lake George NY

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by TLHBill, Mar 17, 2016.

?

Might you attend DirtDaze?

Poll closed Jun 13, 2016.
  1. Yes

57.6%
  2. No

11.9%
  3. Maybe

30.5%
  1. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good Supporter

Oddometer:
    This guy is too modest. I've ridden off-road with him on his Vstrom 1K and he is an animal. :lol3

Hi Syd! I am thinking of going to this event. My only hesitation is that there are no RV hook-ups at the camping site and I want to bring my Toy Hauler loaded with two bikes. Given that this coincides with Americade, is it safe to assume all the local campgrounds are already sold out to the Harley and Goldwing crowd?
  2. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very unlikely I'll make it this year.

I worked for Triumph's demo team at Americade almost every year they were at Americade. Now that they no longer have a demo team, there's a chance for them to demo Tigers in a proper element. Maybe they'll add a small team for next year. I'd love to work that. If not, I'll go as a participant.
  3. Chirosyd

Chirosyd Never get off my bike without a smile

Oddometer:
    Bill,
    You can stay at my house, plenty of room no problem.
  4. RIVERD06

RIVERD06 In the woods

Oddometer:
    I hope this dirtdaze is a success because it's something we could do annually. I doubt we'll make it this year because we don't have dual sport bikes yet, and I doubt they want us taking demo's to the off road training class. But we used to attend Americade every year back in the 90's. Beautiful start to the summer.
  5. TLHBill

TLHBill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jimmy Lewis does offer introductory dirt-riding classes at DirtDaze ( https://dirtdazerally.com/dirt-school/ ) but it's a pretty safe bet that KTM wouldn't be enthusiastic about providing nice new demos for that.
  6. Moto Jimmy

Moto Jimmy Making the transition

Oddometer:
    This looks like a can't miss event! Gonna try to make at least one day...
  7. 2Wheelfury

2Wheelfury Pathfinder

Oddometer:
    Me and 3 or 4 guys are riding from Connecticut. We are arriving Thursday around 5pm and camping.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
  8. RIVERD06

RIVERD06 In the woods

Oddometer:
    Well I found a new bike for me. If I can get the wife another bike in time then we may make it this year. But I don't think she'd want to go on her bagger or her ninja. Finger's crossed!
  9. ADKtrailblazer

ADKtrailblazer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dragging my feet on this one! I haven't registered yet, looks like I might have just the $20 day passes available. ...

I am ~3 hours away and was thinking about one of the guided tours. Rethinking this, might have to camp over...
  10. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    I'm booked for the 3 day option.
    There seems to be some disconnect between the guided ride descriptions on the Dirt Daze website, and the information in this thread.
    Based on the info on the website I was planning to bring my street legal dirt bike (aggressive knobbies) for the Green Mountain Guided Ride and my larger XR650 (50/50 tires) for the Into the Darkness Ride.

From the website:
    • Green Mountain Guided Ride: MotoVermont will lead a special adventure ride with limited availability, Thursday and Friday only! This full day tour will challenge riders as we explore some of the most beautiful and remote trails and ancient roads in Vermont. It’s best suited for intermediate+ riders. Some technical sections are avoidable, but some are not. Be prepared for tricky ascents and off-camber turns on rocky, muddy terrain. Our lunch destination will be a unique motorcycle museum housing the largest collection of Hodaka Motorcycles in the World. Maybe you remember the Dirt Squirt or the Road Toad? They are all there! Lunch will consist of fresh, locally sourced salads, pastas and award winning sausages from Vermont. This will be a true Adventure!
      • 160 miles round trip (approx)
      • 5 hours seat time
      • 70% Dirt / 30% Pavement.
      • Intermediate – Advanced
      • Alternate (easier) options are available, but the final challenging ascent to the restaurant is unavoidable.
      • Knobbies Recommended

• Into the Darkness Guided Ride: This is a hero’s ride, taking you on a long ride deep into the Adirondacks, through thickly forested dirt roads, winding along lake shores, to remote destinations deep in the park. The route enters the “High Peaks” region of the Adirondacks, where you’ll snake along mountainside roads with some great views. The lunch stop welcomes muddy boots and serves some big portions of delicious meals – perfect for adventure motorcyclists.
      • 200 miles round trip (approx)
      • 5 hours seat time
      • 50% Dirt / 50% Pavement (based upon seat time)
      • All skill levels
      • Knobbies not required, pending weather conditions and rider skill.
      • This is a big bore friendly route.

After reading this thread, I'm not sure what to bring. :dunno
  11. TLHBill

TLHBill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Viking & NJ, you're right. The description does somewhat contradict itself. I know cuz I'm laying it out using 50/50s.
    Go with 50/50 tires on "Darkness." It is designed for big comfy ADV bikes; plenty of dirt roads but on the main route, no deep stuff.
    There are a couple of very optional, short muddy loops where knobbies could help, but with my 50/50s I simply turned around before the deep stuff. :muutt

Incidentally, several sections are on roads & paths used by horseriding groups, so we need to exercise responsible noise control there.
    The reference to "hero" was referring to the apprx 200 mile length. It'll be at least 5 hrs of seat time. My estimate is now 6.
    HTH.
  12. 2Wheelfury

2Wheelfury Pathfinder

Oddometer:
    I used the 100 dollar discount from Tom Tom to buy the Rider 400 gps.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
  13. TLHBill

TLHBill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is a very good deal on this new unit. I'm using one to help set the final touches on the Adirondack ride. Shows an amazing level of detail, including some small trails that are, ahem, challenging.
    2Wheelfury likes this.
  14. MewZiKat

MewZiKat finishing TAT July 2019

Oddometer:
    wish I knew about this before now...I have always wanted to attend Americade and now that I choose Dirt over Pavement I sure will plan on going to this next year! awesome that both events are combined yet separate.
  15. sendler

sendler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah. Americade was slow at getting the word out. I just heard about it yesterday and I have been to Americade for the last 5 years. I'm camping at Hearthstone and it's already paid for or I would have rather stayed at Dirtdaze.
  16. billmags

billmags Scoot Jockey

Oddometer:
    Been difficult to plan for me- I just worked it out to go to Americade & camping at Hearthstone.
    Going to stop by on Friday and do a little recon for next time. Have fun all.
  17. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    4 of us are heading up Tuesday-Friday. Would love to do Into the Darkness, and I think we paid for 2 guided rides as part of the 'package', but 3 of us are taking the classes w/ Jimmy Lewis on Wed & Thu, which conflict.

I don't know why the Intro course w/ Jimmy wasn't scheduled for a morning, and the Intermediate in the afternoon, allowing one to take both in one day. Instead, the Intro classes are scheduled in the afternoon, and the Intermediate in the morning, basically forcing you to do it over 2 days if you wanted to take both 'in order'. This kind of limits what other scheduled events you can attend.

Maybe I can talk the other guys into staying later on Friday and doing 'Into the Darkness' Friday morning (looks like there may still be some availability for Fri...).
  18. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be camping nearby at Luzerne Campground - $12/night I think it was, as the Dirtdaze camping was sold out. Anyone going to be at Luzerne?

Also, if anyone has a weekender pass they can't use, I'd love to buy it from you!
  19. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    160 miles in 5 hours is not a trail ride, that's an adventure ride. I don't know about you but in the "intermediate +" trails we ride you'd be lucky to do 75 miles in 5 hours. Sounds like open two-track, gravel and unmaintained roads to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
  20. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm looking at that 160 mile estimate and thinking that's a 32mph average speed over 5 hours.
    Doesn't sound like the Beta will be the best option for this ride.
    Maybe the best bet will be to run the XR650 with knobbies on Friday for the Green Mountain ride, and then swap out to the Heidenaus for Saturday's "hero" ride.