DirtDaze is June 7 - 11, 2016, Lake George NY

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by TLHBill, Mar 17, 2016.

?

Might you attend DirtDaze?

Poll closed Jun 13, 2016.
  1. Yes

57.6%
  2. No

11.9%
  3. Maybe

30.5%
  1. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    I know the feeling, I ride a 300rr, it loves single track but not so much on asphalt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
  2. 2Wheelfury

2Wheelfury Pathfinder

Oddometer:
    I believe this event is designed for 700cc and larger Adventure bikes. I think even a 650cc dual sport might be a little boring. It would be completely ridiculous to bring any small bore bike.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  3. TLHBill

TLHBill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I laid out the Adk ride on a KLR650 with 50/50 tires. It worked fine. No interstate; mostly dirt town roads or very secondary asphalt.
    mslow likes this.
  4. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    Ok - thanks for the info, makes it easier to decide.
    XR650 with the Heidenaus it is - that wheel set has a bit more road friendly sprocket compared to the knobby set.
    I've even got a small windshield I can steal from the missus' bike.
  5. prasta

prasta Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rochester, NY -> Plattsburgh, NY -> Boston, MA
    How was the turnout on the first day? Whats the setup like at the Painted Pony? I'm going to head down there this morning to check things out.
  6. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    Me and my buddy went up yesterday on the 1290 SA and his Tiger 800 XCA. We went to Americade first, not knowing where Dirt Daze was, and the guys there didn't even know at first. We waited around for 5 minutes while they figured it out, then finally pointed us towards Lake Luzerne.

The setup was pretty small, KTM being the biggest "vendor" on hand. They had a ton of demo bikes; a couple 1190 Adventures, a 1290 SA, two Superdukes, a 690 Enduro R, a Duke 390, one or two RC 390's and another 690 Duke? (couldn't tell). Other than KTM, Twisted Throttle had a small booth (they had a much bigger one down at Americade), Ducati VT had a small booth with the new 1200 Multi Enduro, Zero had a booth with two bikes, there was a soft gear vendor (can't recall the brand off the top of my head, but it looked nice) with kitted up AT/S10/GS, Moto Vermont, Spectro Oil, and maybe one or two other vendors.

From what I saw, all the other manufacturers were demoing at Americade. We saw Suzuki, Honda and Yamaha groups rolling through town every 5 minutes.
    MewZiKat likes this.
  7. UberTenere

UberTenere Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for making me depressed, I can't make the 900 mile trek from nc, couldn't get the time off, have fun everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. VivaRossi

VivaRossi n00b

Oddometer:
    #DirtDaze IS UNDERWAY . . . . offering guided and unguided full-day excursions along ancient dirt routes of the Adirondack Mountains in Upstate New York and beautiful remote trails of Vermont. Professional instructors offer ADVenture bike training for beginner, intermediate and advanced riders including obstacle courses, riding demonstrations, and riding contests. Demos by KTM, Honda, Yamaha and more. Meet Twisted Throttle representatives and Jimmy Lewis, overall winner of the Baja 1000, Dubai Rally, Dakar podium finisher, ISDE 4x Gold Medalist, former Off-road Editor for Cycle World and Dirt Rider magazines. Camping, meals and local beer are all onsite. Register soon at http://dirtdazerally.com, as space is limited. Will see you there. John Rossi, RossiMotoCorsa.

#DirtDaze
    #ADVenture Bike Rally
    June 7-11, 2016
    Lake George, NY
  9. Green Mountain Man

Green Mountain Man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heading in from Northern Vt Fri. Thanks for the heads up with the sold out camping. Prob try the spot you are at.
    Tallbastid likes this.
  10. MewZiKat

MewZiKat finishing TAT July 2019

Oddometer:
    looking for feedback from folks who demo the new Honda Africa Twin!
  11. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful Supporter

Oddometer:
    So how's the rally? Any real time feedback from people experiencing it?
  12. katoomryder

katoomryder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can tell you from guiding the Vermont ride that's it's a tough one. Recent rains have increased the challenge. Pushed a lot of bikes today. If you're considering this ride, have good knobbies, leave your luggage behind, and be ready to lend a hand to get everyone through.
  13. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beez and MewZiKat like this.
  14. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    The Green Mountain ride was fantastic - we had a really good group of riders and a terrific guide from Moto Vermont.
    The same ride on Thursday ended with some very unhappy GS1200 riders - I heard they were mucho displeased about how difficult was the route.
    I can tell you it was extra challenging on my XR650L with 50/50 tires, but will say the original description was spot on - once we left the pavement, I was wishing for my knobbies and/or Beta.

The little KTM's in our group were very pleased with the difficulty, and our 800 Tiger rider and KLR wiz kid definitely rose to the challenge.
    Lunch was excellent at the Hodaka museum/warehouse.

I can only guess that TLHBill was not talking about the Vermont ride - although I thought I was clear about which route I was discussing. :dunno
    Anyways, I'm not saying anything against TLHBill - I had a very enjoyable experience and appreciate that he took the time to describe what I believe was the "Into the darkness" - Adirondack ride.

We enjoyed some Vermont brews courtesy of MotoVermont after the ride - talk about a first class bunch of guys. :photog
    scarabe21 and Tallbastid like this.
  15. billmags

billmags Scoot Jockey

Oddometer:
    Test rode the standard Africa Twin, they had 3.
    One dirt, the DCT, and the standard.
    Nice bike, good power, comfy seat, felt dirt capable in terms of power delivery. Like the reviews I've read- it's more dirt than street. Didn't play with the TC modes as I was more concerned about the CBR on my six. Nice demo ride through some twisty roads. Worth the wait.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    MewZiKat and Tallbastid like this.
  16. Woof57

Woof57 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey TLHBill, new to this site, I went to dirt daze and did an unguided ride with 5 others into the ADK . I'm out of niskayuna ny, with my camp in the town of DAY, sacandaga. Ride a knobbied KLR, been on dual sports for 30 years, been riding in the ADK alone forever and the wife wants me to find riding partners, so do I . Next adventure ride for me is north of speculator, jessup river etc... Looking for others in area interested. Woof57
  17. scarabe21

scarabe21 Riding around NYC

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much for the nice comments!!

Ed, newly crowned KLR wiz kid :-)
    Vikingtazz likes this.
  18. scarabe21

scarabe21 Riding around NYC

Oddometer:
    By the way I made a video about DirtDaze and the trails we did with Moto Vermont:
  19. 2Wheelfury

2Wheelfury Pathfinder

Oddometer:
    Awesome!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  20. I'm not lost!

I'm not lost! n00b

Oddometer:
    TLHBill likes this.