DirtyTracks For Huachinera Festival Riders

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America' started by gaspipe, Sep 13, 2006.

1. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Fellers,

At Ibarra's suggestion, I have done a little GPS routing for you. Attached here are some methods of negotiating a dirt route from Agua Prieta to Huachinera for the Huachinera Festival in October 6-7, '06.

You *MUST* turn off the autorouting feature on your computer and your GPS, or you'll have a tough time making it go since there are no Garmin Autorouting roads in this file and the machine will be confused.

I've ridden all these routes, and many, many more.

Contained in the file:

1. AP2Huach - takes you from Agua Prieta to Huachinera on dirt. Bike bike capable route.

2. Huach2Madera - Takes you from Huachinera to Madera via primarily dirt. Big bike capable route.

3. Huach2TresRios - Takes you from Huachinera to TresRios, where it'll put you on the Huach2Madera route. Difficult, thumper territory. Steep, rugged climbs.

4. MaderaLasAranas - a rugged route from Madera to Highway 16 a little east of Basaseachi Falls. Difficult, thumper territory. Steep, rugged climbs, little fuel, no motels or support.

5. LasAranasBasaseachi - takes you from 16 at the end of #4 through the back way to San Juanito (near Creel). Big bike capable.

A few hundred waypoints are in there to help ID towns and such.

Gaspipe
  2. Mike955i

Mike955i Future Escapee

Oddometer:
    Excellent, thanks for the routes! Cant wait until the 7th!!!

Cheers.....Mike
  3. Chasqui

Chasqui Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got a GPS last night (man I love new toys!) and downloaded the route from Douglas to Madera. Great info, thanks! I will be glad to buy you a beer when I see you in Creel:freaky
  4. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Chasqui - I just opened up some email and saw your question. The GPS data should answer it, but just in case:

A good rider on a big bike will do just fine from Agua Prieta to Huachinera. The route from Huachinera up to Tres Rios isn't recommended for big bikes or novice riders. It gets ugly in places. Rock, ruts, washouts, water, etc. Knobbies.

There's a route I did a couple years ago that takes you from Huachinera close to Tres Rios, and intersects the harder route but after the hard parts, but it goes via Bacadehuachi and Nacori Chico (both have gas) and is a lot longer of a route. Past Tres Rios, it has it's moments of difficulty, but I think it would be fine on a big bike with a good rider. It will take you to Madera via El Largo. The last segment of about 40-50 miles is paved.

K7 took an all paved route from Huachinera via Moctezuma, and that is yet another option.

The road from Madera to Vallecitos and Tutuaca has some ugly spots and I wouldn't recommend a big bike go that way unless you're very good and know your machine. Lots of water, rock, etc. There's no support - no motels, minimal fuel and food. You need to be self sufficient out here. I'm sure there are guys that could get a Heritage Classic through there on bald tires, but I'm not one of them, and don't recommend it.

Big bike riders should opt to take the paved route from Madera via Temosachi, Matachi, Guerrero Negro and onto 16 for a few miles, then onwards to Creel via San Juanito, etc. Nice ride.

HTH.
  5. busted knuckle

busted knuckle SuperE

Oddometer:
    First - thanks for the gpx's! Buying a new GPS today for the ride. I have a new 950 Super Enduro R. Have taken the knobbies off; but wonder if I should prefer them for the ride in Mexico? Advise please....Also, for those of us unfamiliar with the departure point in Arizona, where would be a good/safe place to leave my truck while down in Mexico? Any thoughts?
    Am really stoked for this ride, been thinking about it for years!!