Discount Tire and my TPMS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Vinz Klortho, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Vinz Klortho

Vinz Klortho Square Peg

Oddometer:
    So I took my car to Discount Tire this morning, time for new tires. I'm not going to get into my past bad luck with Discount Tire, but I will say that they continue to let me down. I'm not going back.

When the tech came out to bring me my keys he lead with the warning "Now, it will take between 20 minutes to half an hour for the TPMS to reset." I knew right then that my TPMS wasn't going to work. It hasn't reset. TPMS usually responds reasonably quickly to tire pressure changes. I really dont like those folks.

If one guy out there can tell me their TPMS coincidentally died immediately after a tire change I'll go away quietly but I think they're scamming me.

Fucking tire-jockey-with-a-GED was talking down to me like a car salesman. I really dont like those folks.
  2. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    I like DT. They put in my TPMS sensors no problem. Twice. No sensor errors either. Going back here soon for new front tires. :dunno
  3. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had no problems with Discount Tire, in fact, I have not found any company that offers better service. I've used four stores, from Oregon to Virginia and two here in Ohio. Four new sets of tires, three vehicles, several free re-balancings and many free tire rotations. No TPMS issues. Reasonable prices, lower than most. Always found friendly staff, no high-pressure sales efforts. Often, I've been greeted at my car door as I parked, and my car is always waiting at the door when finished. Free wi-fi, coffee and water as I wait. At least three have carried Roadracing World magazine in the magazine rack! I just wish they offered alignment services.
    SGrider and dtysdalx2 like this.
  4. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf High functioning sociopath

Oddometer:
    I had one tech there manage to not get a TPMS back in right. Tire blew about 45 minutes later. They replaced the tire at the next DT down the highway and thatbtech distroyed the TPMS trying to pull it out.

They replaced all four no problem after that, just to be sure. I still use them as my preferred tire provider.
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used to use them a lot back in the day. They are not near me now, so I go to NTB. Sounds like the OP just got a bad one. They are in every industry!
    Blakebird likes this.
  6. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf High functioning sociopath

Oddometer:
    Oh and OP...nice elitist condescension in your review. They may or may not have made a mistake, but you clearly have a problem feeling you are above service industry employees.
    Bobo413 and 9Realms like this.
  7. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    I actually have a GED. :flip

Worked full time since 17 and retired in my 50's from a six figure income, thank you. Then went to college in my retirement just for fun. I and my family will continue to patronize Discount Tire in spite of you. Well, that and they have always delivered good service and they don't try to sell you shit like brakes and front-end work you don't need, like many of their kind.

You are fine fodder for my block list.
    Bobo413 likes this.
  8. kwb377

kwb377 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OP...what did they say when you took it back, or when you called them about it?
  9. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    I'm not going to get into the elitist crap on this thread but id bet that Discount tire is just like any other big box retailer. We don't have any Discount tire stores in the north east but we do have ones like Town fair and NTB and places like BJ's wholesale club and i refuse to get tires at any of them. I had one bad experience many years ago when a big box tire retailer who shall remain nameless wrecked a set of rims on my truck by putting the lugs on backwards (back when you could do that) with the conical seat facing out and jammed the square end into the aluminum wheels with an impact gun on all 4 wheels. I had to get a Lawyer to get that one taken care of because the store and the stores corporate wing did not give a shit. They tried to blame me yet the vehicle never left the parking lot after the tires were mounted, i went and got the store manager the second i saw the truck and the aluminum shrapnel all over the wheels.

These days I only buy from a locally owned business for two reasons, first is like like supporting local businesses and also because they offer that whole customer service thing that big box stores have long forgotten about. I have been getting tires at the same place for years and they have simply taken great care of me and never ever feed me bullshit and have never messed up a vehicle. Price wise they are within a few bucks of the big box places and ill gladly pay a little extra to be treated as a valued customer instead of a number. Its little things like having a loaner fleet if you need a car while its there, or the times they have dropped my truck at my house because i was tied up with work and could not have grabbed it until after closing or the time they went to bat for us with Continental on the defective winter tire that my wife had on her Honda. She didn't even buy them there( pre our relationship) but they pushed Continental and got it taken care of.
    thebeancounter likes this.
  10. thebeancounter

thebeancounter Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had them rebuild all five TPMS units with the purchase of new tires just because. TPMS light would not go off and it shook pretty bad. Took it back for their road force balancing - I could see they were having troubles with it. They finally pulled the tire off and pulled out the old TPMS unit - it was beat almost beyond recognition. The tech left it inside the tire and it was bouncing around in there. That's almost comical! So now they had to replace the unit that they just rebuilt. But they did it at no charge. Not sure I'll have them ever rebuild the TPMS units though as on the 4Runner Forums they don't seem to be a problem area.
  11. PanamaJacob

PanamaJacob PanamaJacob.com

Oddometer:
    Honestly I like taking my car to those run down non-chain shops in the shitty part of town. When you arrive, you get to talk to the same dude that will be doing the work. Very easy to spot a straight shooter that just wants your business.
    ydarg likes this.
  12. gmiguy

gmiguy You rode a what to where?

Oddometer:
    I've never had any issues with Discount Tire, and have in fact found them to be among the better tire vendors anyplace where I have lived.

I've also never had a TPMS failure adjacent to a tire change.

Have you confirmed that the actual tire pressures are correct?

I have an engineering master's degree. Guys with GEDs teach me new things all the time. :loco
  13. Vinz Klortho

Vinz Klortho Square Peg

Oddometer:
    Elitist? I'm an A&P mechanic.

My kids are older than this guy was and I didn't like his tone. He would have pissed you off too.

Of course I checked my tire pressure.
  14. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Discount Tire has treated me right more times then I deserve. You found a bad store.
    TPMS is not that difficult, if you have the right tools. That store didn't have the right tools, or didn't know how to use what they have. It's 2 minutes on a bad day to walk around the car, scan all 4 tires, plug the tool in and program the vehicle to the transmitters. They are pretty generic these days. Unless you have something really oddball?

I got a new set of Michelins several years ago. Had a little shake to it. They balanced a couple of times. Different location had road force so I went there. They ran it, one tire was a bit high, they just went ahead and replaced all 4 brand new tires that had less then 300 miles on them. They offered it, not my suggestion.
    Brought tires in to see if the nail hole could be patched (company trailer, they do tires at work so need to buy one). The nail rubbed into the sidewall, tire garbage. No charge for the inspect.
    Tractor tire needed a new tube, got the right tube, installed free. Buick had leaky beads, cleaned the rims and reseated the tires, no charge. Come back when you need new tires.
    When I get a quote for new tires, they go straight to the out the door price. None of this smoke and mirror dance of hidden fees. You can read the quote from the bottom up and see what they charge, but it isn't a surprise at the end that other places usually do.

Over the past decade I have used over a half dozen different discount tire locations. Had the same good results no matter which one I used.
  15. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    This.

Also, my old Honda Accord sedan used to take about 10-15 minutes of driving around for the TPMS to come back. One time, when I got tires on a Kia, I had TPMS error after DT did wheels and tires that didn't go away. I went back, and they worked diligently to resolve my issue.

On a side note, regarding Discount Tire. On that Kia I mentioned I had aftermarket wheels and tires on it. I didn't realize when I bought the wheels that they would get any wheels that exist and match Internet pricing, so I mail ordered the wheels. While I was waiting for them, I want to DT (my first ever encounter with them) to order the tires. They ordered them up with no deposit. A few days later I was out of town, and I got an email saying that the wheels had arrived, and were on my porch; I had accidentally had them shipped to me instead of the store. I called DT and explained what happened, and when I told the guy I was out of town and nobody was at my house, he immediately said "well, you can't just leave your wheels outside on the porch; I'll go get them. I'll call you when I get back." And he left, right that minute, and picked up the wheels that I did not buy from him. remember, at this point I had yet to spend $1 there, ever.

On another side note regarding Discount Tire (same store). I had aftermarket wheels and tires on the Accord too (bought at DT of course, as they'd so effectively earned all of my future business). I ran over an low curb block at night in the rain at some point, and had a blowout. I went to DT the next day to get a replacement tire, knowing I'd be ordering the tire as it wasn't a size they normally stock. After taking care of that, I asked the guy "Hey, before you pull the car out of the bay, would you mind having your guy check the pressure in the donut? I haven't done that."

He replied, "oh, no; yo're not leaving here on a donut. I know I don't have that exact tire, but I have a Michelin Pilot Sport (this is a $300 tire) in stock that is nearly the same size as your tires, so I'm having the guys mount that up now so that you have a real tire to drive on while we wait for your replacement." Me: "What is that going to cost?" Him: "Oh no, there's no cost. I'm just not having you leave here on a donut."

It was very literally the very best customer service I've ever received in any retail situation, ever, in my entire 35 years as an adult.
    nk14zp, Yossarian™ and JimVonBaden like this.
  16. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Wow, impressive! :thumb
  17. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not all TPMS resets in the same way!
    So far I've seen nothing as to which system this happened to be nor any information as to if the sender/s was physically damaged or not. This doesn't have crap to do with the tire guys age vs. the ages of our kids when we comment. It's a hot heavy dirty job that creates bad backs and worn out hands!
    I do remember when they 1st came out and local tire stores wouldn't touch them. I was building a late model Euro wreck and toted the damned tire & wheel 1.5 hours from me to get a new tire mounted! I was told by one store that they'd had to buy someones vette sender and therefore would not work on them again. Times have changed and many cars have them & it's a simple avoidance of hitting sender when the arm swings around but anyone could damage one, even a good tire person. My BIL is similar to the OP? in that he has a mental list of places where he'll no longer shop...
    I wouldn't call it a bad store lacking the information as we do, not that I go there as none here anyway.
  18. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    I have used DT for the last few years, after they built some stores in my area.

My experiences with them have all been great. They will continue to get my business.

I love the stories that are appearing on this thread. I would contribute, but mine are all a bit humdrum. Maybe one exception. Buying a new set of tires, and it was about 5 days before the Labor Day weekend. I had selected the tires and made the appointment online. When I got to the store, my service advisor reviewed the order, and said that there were a couple of rebates ($100 and $50) that were coming up for the holiday sale. He made some notations on the invoice, and gave me the rebate forms along with my order. (Both rebates came in just fine, BTW.) In addition, when we discussed the road hazard warranty, I told him that I usually decline that. He said that he'd put it on the order at no charge, just to see if I like it and maybe would consider it in the future. I have not needed it (2 years now since purchase) but he certainly went above and beyond to impress a new customer.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  19. Maslin

Maslin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As do I. Also making 6 figures.

It’s easy to crack a TPMS sensor changing tires. It’s also easy to not relearn the positions and pressures when the wheels are moved around.

Step one, reset the TPMS in the car, should be in the owners manual.

Step two, they broke a sensor. Any tire shop will have a tester to check them.

Every shop around here has a huge sign with something along the lines of “ We are not responsible for broken tire pressure sensors”. So good luck.
  20. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    That is such a cop out. So they can break them ham fisting the tire change and then you have to pay to replace them?