Distal Bicep Tendon Rupture

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by ThumperStorm, Jan 8, 2019.

1. ThumperStorm

ThumperStorm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Earlier this past year, I was two days into a planned three week tour. Just as I was about to stop, pulling into a campsite, my rear tire slipped and I dropped my Kawasaki Concours. :muutt No real damage as I was almost stopped and was in some mud. However, as I picked up the bike I tore my right bicep muscle completely loose from the bone, almost 900 miles from home. Getting home was an adventure in itself and the bike is in storage near where the accident happened. I still have to figure out how to get it home. :dunno
    Three months after surgery, I'm still in rehab, just lifting one pound weights. :becca

It never even occurred to me that something like that could happen. At my age (57), I was more worried about straining my back. I'm thinking I may just stick with my little Yamaha XT225 (around 260 lbs wet) in the future. :nod
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  2. Motonirvana

Motonirvana Can't make this shit up

Oddometer:
    Looking back on the injury, is there anything you could have done to prevent the injury or is it just one of those freak incidents? Hope you get back in the saddle soon.
  3. ThumperStorm

ThumperStorm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking back on it now I think that I let my ego get the best of me. A Concours is a big heavy bike and I had it loaded down pretty good. I should have taken the time to unload part of it before trying to pick it up, instead of just assuming I could right it without problem. Usually I can either pick something heavy up or I can't, it just never occurred to me I could get hurt that way.

Also, my doctor told me that a lot of times an injury like that happens when you have your arm bent and the load slips and then when you try to stop it your arm straightens out suddenly with a jerk, causing the muscle to pull loose. Better to just drop it and start over.

I'm definitely going to keep riding. Just got to heal up and get through a long Minnesota winter.
    ACR and Motonirvana like this.
  4. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did the same saving a tank-slapper on a much lighter bike than a Concours about 10 years ago. I think it would have hurt a lot less to just crash.

Mine wasn't torn all the way off and I was back riding the next monday. There was no point in having surgery because with a partial tear recovery is faster just letting it heal but I had to be careful for months then a year later playing frisbee worked out it'd glued itself back together a little offset ;), not as painful as the original tear fortunately and after about three years and some steady exercise and stretching it was fine.

The main warning is take care to not tear the damn thing again, it'll be at least a year until it'll handle normal loads. Lifting weights I was fine, but a single ****ing frisbee throw and I'm lying on the ground crying.
  5. Motonirvana

Motonirvana Can't make this shit up

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. It's useful feedback that will certainly be in the back of my mind next time I'm faced with a heavy lift. Good feedback from the doc also.
    ThumperStorm likes this.
  6. ThumperStorm

ThumperStorm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Saw the doctor last week, he says 3-4 more months before the arm is healed. :waysad It gives me time to rethink my (over) packing skills. :lol3

Attached Files:

7. skyking42

skyking42 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That makes my arm hurt. Did you have your back to the bike or were you facing it?
  8. Unca Fud

Unca Fud nrpetersen

Oddometer:
    I lifted my K1200LT at age 76 but I lifted with my back to the bike, and lifted with the rear gloved hand on the top of the rear topcase. I know you shouldn't do that but the extra righting moment by lifting high up helped me do it without injury. At 80 now your warning till be taken very carefully. THX!
    overtone, John2453 and ThumperStorm like this.
  9. ThumperStorm

ThumperStorm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was facing the bike, which is how I've always done it, but never with a bike that heavy. I felt just a little bit of pain as I started to lift it and by the time it was upright the muscle was torn loose.
  10. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your injury.
    Another thing for me to worry about!
    I have got rid of all the heavy bikes, they were really no fun anyway.
    My idea of great touring would be back roads cross country on a TU250. 100% fun.
    Cant be in a hurry though....

Oh, and the xt225 is a hoot!
    ThumperStorm likes this.
  11. inbred

inbred Sweeter than Yoo-hoo

Oddometer:
    Bummer about your injury, mate. The image of you lifting your bike and feeling that sucker rip itself off the bone will live with me each time I pick my pig f800 off the ground. By the time you hit 50, if you want to avoid such injuries you have look to what's in your noggin. The cool thing about getting on in years is we have more experience to rely on. This can make up for greater deterioration of our bodies that comes from the passage of time. It would be interesting to know if you if you have a dedicated workout regimen you follow to keep you in peak form for the multitude of injuries that can come from ADV riding. I wonder if you had soent the two months previous to your injury stretching and working out your biceps would it have made a difference? Obviously a biceps can be torn even in a healthy youngster when the strain is so great. That's another thing I learned. The muscle is referred to as the biceps even in it's singular form. I never knew that. So you actually ruptured your biceps rather than your bicep. And there's some cool information out there about how that cat Leonardo Divinci studied the mechanics of how the biceps actually works. His conclusions were correct long before his time. He did a series of drawings on it. These drawings can be found on an Amazon Tee Shirt for $20.00. Check out the following search route as it might be cool for you to have one as a conversation piece. Although it's a small consolation, this experience of yours will help me (and others) learn from your ordeal. In any event, good luck with your healing and if you haven't design a workout regimen that may assist in preventing future injuries, now's the perfect time.

Google amazon and
    "Leonardo Da Vinci Famous Art Painting T-Shirt"
    Unca Fud and ThumperStorm like this.
  12. macd7919

macd7919 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tore mine roughly 50% off at age 37. Hurt like hell at the time and my arm was basically useless for weeks. Doctor said the options were surgery to completely remove it (clean it up with a clean cut to remove the “tear”) and then reattach to the bone with a small chance it didn’t take, or, live with it and if it bothered me day to day then come back and discuss surgery again. The “living with it” option included it never being the same again and reduced strength in some positions. I chose to live with it and the only time it generally flares up is if I’m holding up weight (such as a bunch of loaded grocery bags) over an extended distance or carrying weight with my arm outstretched.
  13. ThumperStorm

ThumperStorm Long timer

Oddometer:
    They said I could go without the surgery and have limited use of my arm, if I was older they say that's what they would have recommended. The biceps is responsible for strength and for turning the forearm, such as opening doors or twisting a screw driver. I depend to much on having a strong right arm to be okay with not having full use of it. Of course mine was completely tore loose.
  14. lfmn

lfmn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can skip to about 5 minutes in. I used this myself to pick up a Harley Ultra when I dumped it in a parking lot. The hardest thing about it is wrapping your head around how easy it is while you are doing it. It feels like it shouldn't be so easy.

15. jeepcj1966

jeepcj1966 Jeepcj1966

Oddometer:
    Age is the enemy, I tore my tricep this past summer riding in NM. Caught the handle bars off a rock deflection and tore one head off at the elbow. Sat out for about 4 months after surgery started back riding easily and was good to go, fast forward 2 more months and I'm getting in race shape for an enduro. Took a high speed get off on my right shoulder and tore 3 of 4 rotator cuff ligaments off. Couldn't even get my throttle hand to the handle bars without help..... finished the last 4 miles gingerly and didn't finish any more sections after that.

So as I said above it would appear we have entered the 50+ age group where stuff just breaks or tears off the bone lol. Dr said slow down a little but don't stop doing what you love.
  16. VPS1

VPS1 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just had surgery 1 week ago for my Biceps tendon torn off at the elbow. This is no fun at all but surgery seems to have the best option. At my MRI it showed a partial tear, 2 weeks later in my surgery it was a full tear so it got worse in those 2 weeks and I was very careful with it. It was very painful and weak, there was no doubt I was going the surgery route, I need my arm back. Missing March Moto Madness again for 3 years in a row is killing me! They are saying 3-4 months total healing. PT starts next week.

I actually stopped at night to help a guy pick up his Harley, he had dropped it sitting at a light I saw it happen, he was really struggling with it and could not budge it off the ground. He was at the front, it was super dark and I grabbed what I could but only got my right arm on it, the other on the passenger seat back.....as I lifted I felt a big shock in my elbow. The guy turned around to say thanks and must have been in his mid to late 70's, I have a feeling I did most of the lifting. It did seem super overly heavy as it came upright. I ride a Super Tenere and have lifted it alone many times... Id stop again, but will be very careful how I lift going forward.
    overtone likes this.
  17. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Thing is, you can't realistically call THAT a fallen motorcycle. It's listing at about 45 degrees, but certainly not prone.
    Kamala and Paul in N FL like this.
  18. djfoell

djfoell Old enough to know better. Young enough to try.

Oddometer:
    I’m recovering from surgery for a fully torn rotator cuff (supraspinatus) and a bicep tendinesis (I think that’s how it’s spelled. Regardless, what I was told is that they cut my bicep tendon off, drilled a hole in the bone further down my arm, inserted the tendon into the hole, and anchored it with a screw as a wedge to hold it in place. Hopefully my days of bicep tendinitis are in the past. Time will tell.

Regardless, we both have a long road to recovery. Good luck!

Duke
  19. lfmn

lfmn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All I can say is that I dropped a Harley Ultra in a parking lot and picked it up using that method. If you have a better idea, by all means use it.
  20. joe a

joe a No Map

Oddometer: