Distal Bicep Tendon Rupture

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by ThumperStorm, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Kamala

Kamala Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    All great ways of righting a fallen bike until you are off road and in Mud. Under those conditions I have always been fortunate to be riding with 1 or more gentlemen who were nicknamed Moose, Mongo, The Neanderthal, Knucks or The Creature. Being a good boy scout I have given a thought about packing pulleys and rope in case of a really difficult lift. Where I live there is always a tree nearby if you are off road. A Cheezy (but sturdy) little Block and Tackle set up could be helpful and pack small.
  2. mcso

mcso Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Total ripped off the bone for me. Carrying a casket (got hung up on church door frame and didn't want to let go- really). Surgery was in 5 days after incident. Rehab started iirc a month later. About a year before I was back to pre-incident weight room routine. Mine was reattached from right to left through bone with a titanium button on the outside. Works like a charm. Arm feels odd at times as the bicep was previously attached centered/on the back. Doesn't hurt, just odd feeling at times. Do was PT says, no more, no less.
  3. andruboz

andruboz Serial overfiller

Oddometer:
    From the other guy at work who had what you had, I found out its a $3000 co-pay around here. My shoulder clicks and my tendon tear is minor so I can wait until I have closer to $3k in my health savings account.
  4. JohnHB

JohnHB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hope this reply will help someone, as I had a similar injury to the OP. However the torn bicep followed falling of the scooter by 3 weeks.

I talked to a very nice surgeon, who told me that I had plenty of other muscles in my upper arm that could take over duties from the ruptured bicep. The operation to reattach the ruptured bicep would be terribly invasive and uncomfortable as the OP is finding out. He would perform the operation if I really wanted - but advised against it. 8 years later and I forget about the problem until I read a thread like this.

Ride safe everyone.

John
  5. VPS1

VPS1 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My surgeon explained that if it tore at the top there is a good chance of a suitable recovery just letting it heal. Tears at the elbow are the ones where you loose hand turning strength and range of motion without surgery. Also, with an elbow tear the biceps retract and that can cause issues if you decide on surgery after some time has passed. I’m 7 weeks out with the elbow tear button surgery and I got cleared last week, for everything except things like weight lifting. I rode a bunch this weekend and it feels pretty good.
  6. ThumperStorm

ThumperStorm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to give an update. It's been about 7 months since my surgery. My arm is still not as strong as it used to be. I still need to build up some more stamina. My range of motion is good and I have plenty of dexterity with it. It feels healed.

My doctor did say I could manage without the surgery. However I have always been active and did not want to be limited with what I could do with my arm or hand. So for me surgery was the right choice and it is what my doctor recommended. Even though the recovery has been an ordeal. I'm almost 58 and he said if I had been a little older he would have suggested not having the surgery.

The good news is that I have been out a few times on my motorcycle. I'm using my Yamaha XT225, so a nice light bike. I'm a little sore the day after but I don't have any problems riding the bike. Just need this Minnesota weather to warm up.
  7. overtone

overtone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a similar injury in college, but as a serious athlete and weight lifter. (Hard to believe how far that ship had sailed in ~30 years...). Took 6 months before I could lift a book. At an advanced age, who knows as to the recovery time.

A couple years ago I was u-turning on my dirtbike on flat ground, at walking speed, and somehow lost balance, dabbed lightly, and tore the left hamstring and fell over. It was unbelievably idiotic and unexpected, but something about the body mechanics was really off at that moment. Perhaps I pointed the toe, trying to reach the ground from the tall bike.

Getting off the ground and onto the bike one-legged, and then hopping around loading the bike onto the hitch carrier alone, was a ton of fun. Within a month I was cycling and carefully riding the moto, so got lucky with the recovery.
  8. overtone

overtone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The storm-battered supply vessel USS Davidson is listing heavily to starboard. She'll right herself when the Miller Lite cargo/ballast is pumped into the port tank.