Distance and Cost From San Diego to Ushuaia?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by bananaman, Aug 17, 2007.

1. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Mapquest and Google Earth are not letting me measure a route to Ushuaia. Anyone have that info, via a decent route?

I know, the Darien Gap is going to be a problem. I also live in Panama, so I know. I'll ride as far as I can, then go back to Panama City and get a flight or a boat to Colombia. Or somewhere safer.

If anyone knows how to break it down- San Diego to Panama City, Panama City to Ushuaia? Or even better, country by country?

If anyone knows links to reports with cost info, that would be great too. Especially border-crossings, and insurance for each country.

thanks
  2. Aussie_Gringo

Aussie_Gringo I have a "get out of banning for a week" card

Oddometer:
    There are alot of "decent routes" from San Diego to Ushuaia, some more decent than others, start here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panamerican_Highway

Then narrow your search on good routes, or not, or, fly by the seat of your pants (also a great way to go). Search ride reports as many folks in this forum have done the ride and will offer helpful suggestions and information via a PM.

Consider starting the same thread in Outer Darkness.

Good luck :thumb
  3. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    I have an Excel spreadsheet for US (although not SD as a start) , Mex, C/A by country, and then S/A lumped together.

Send a pm if you want it.

Google and mapping programs will give answers your questions anyway.

...edit: The way you've described doing this route will cost you $32,102.73
  4. santaferider

santaferider The Argienaut

Oddometer:
    go to Borders and buy old fashioned maps, add arithmetic.
  5. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    That will require some effort...and true interest...:cry
  6. santaferider

Oddometer:
    :scratch "avoid planning a trip"?

do you mean buying the maps and not looking at them? ...or not adding the mileage?

Axel would certainly not approve of that, but the OP can always go on and then call you to start a collection on Advrider if he gets lost...
  7. santaferider

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  8. santaferider

Oddometer:
    you can believe in a bunch of things; that does not necessarily make those things true.
  9. Sandstuck

Sandstuck Banned

Oddometer:
    East of the mighty shit-spigot(Mississippi River)
    True:wave SanteGayRider's IQ is the same as his age.:deal:lol3
  10. santaferider

Oddometer:
    if I am 70 years of age, I have nothing to prove to anyone :evil
  11. Sandstuck

Sandstuck Banned

Oddometer:
    East of the mighty shit-spigot(Mississippi River)
    ?? Who, What, Where ??:lol3 :lol3
  12. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help.

I already have paper maps of central and south america, and I already measured everything the old fashioned way.

If any of you have an opinion of my trip, but you haven't done it, FYYFF, unless you're actually and seriously planning one of your own, in which case, LET'S GO!
  13. Van Isle

Van Isle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As for cost, this is some good advice gleaned from some serious RTW folks at Horizons Unlimited:

Take your money that you can spend. Divide it by the time you want to spend. Equals your daily budget. Whatever it is, you can make it work.

I just met a fellow from Calgary who just spent 7 months in S.A., his budget including shipping, airfare, medical insurance, i.e. everything, worked out to $64 a day. He shipped the bike down, flew to meet it, flew it around a few spots, etc. And that was living pretty large on a KTM 950. A quarter of his total spending was on hotels/lodgings...

Lonely Planet suggests $10 to $20 for N.E. South America, $25-40 for Brazil, $30 to $35 for Southern South America. That's in backpacker accommodations, but no camping. Also include estimated cost of key side trips and transport by bus/taxi, which on a bike would be limited.

Mileage has been quoted from sources as being around 20k to 30k KILOMETERS for a round trip from Mexico to Ushuaia and back. Depends on side trips and efficiency of routes taken (main "highways" vs back roads).

US to Ushuaia has been done in 6 weeks, and it has been done in 9 months. I'm planning to take almost 4 months starting from Canada. Some say it's not enough time, some say it's too much. I'm planning to lurk in Mexico to take Spanish lessons, and hole up again in B.A. to learn tango while I prep the bike for South Africa.

There's a traveller's meeting in Viedma, Argentina early December, and of course a big Christmas party in Ushuaia. Maybe I'll see ya there. I depart 9/11 this year.

Cheers.

VI

PS for more info check out www.horizonsunlimited.com and "The Adventure Motorcycling Handbook" by Chris Scott. Lonely Planet or Footprint guides are a fair guide to work from, too.
  14. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the neat reply. I agree with everything you said. And the more people we talk to, the more we'll learn, and the more we'll be prepared.

I just got back today- from a 900 mi practice ride around Northern Wisconsin, on the '96 GS I'm going to ride. Mechanically the bike is sound, but for this trip... there are a few modifications I need to make. Mainly shocks, seat, and gas tank. Gas tank I already knew, but shocks and seat I was hoping to get away with, stock. But there's no way I'm sitting on the stock seat for 20,000 miles. And the shocks get tired by the end of the day. Ohlins, I guess... ah, the thrill of spending money in $1k increments!

Yesterday I went to the Aerostitch store in Duluth. I got some great deals on the Darien stuff. I'll post more about it in a ride report later.
  15. santaferider

Oddometer:
  16. Bayou Boy

Bayou Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know about that. The last two times I went to Mexico I averaged $70/day. This was with one other person so dual occupancy. But we stayed two nights in Guanajuato at a hotel that was over $100/night because it was downtown and had parking.

I would think ther are places that are higher, but also places that are cheaper so it may balance out.

$140/day is really high. I've done less than that in the states staying at a motel.

Also remember that your mileage will be lower per day than in the states, so fuel costs per day will be lower.
  17. santaferider

Oddometer:
    why?

I have never done the Pan American Highway from the States to Ushuaia as a trip, but I have ridden most of the highway and alternate routes when I lived in South and Central America, and I certainly know about every road in Patagonia, and there, distances aren't short.

For instance, if your route takes you from Ciudad Bolivar in Venezuela to Brazil, be prepared to ride all day before yo find a safe place for you and your motorcycle.

Not every country in Latin America is small like those in Central America.

Hotels can be from inexpensive to really expensive. Check prices if you want to spend a night in the Puna de Atacama...

Realtors say "location, location, location"; experienced travellers say "contingencies, contingencies, contingencies".
  18. Aussie_Gringo

Aussie_Gringo I have a "get out of banning for a week" card

Oddometer:
  19. gpothoven

gpothoven whatever

Oddometer:
    Hard to give you an idea on cost. It all depends on what you require, how you travel. Some people are ok with just a place to crash, some people need a nice place. Some will eat anything, some need good food, etc. etc. I for one am not very budget minded, and would not enjoy the trip if I was calculating that I spent so much yesterday, so I must spend so much less today. I'm more the type to go until I've gone through half my money, then turn around and go back. That was the plan anyway. I ended up riding until I spent ALL my money, and the I got job. I was gonna set up a paypal account and ask everyone here to finance my ride, but then I thought better...:lol3
  20. bananaman

Oddometer:
    I'm not THAT budget concious. I just want to plan aproximately, in $5000 increments. It looks like $10,000 is a minimum for our style, and $15,000 would be easier. If we have $15,000 available, maybe we could come home with $7,000 not-spent.

I don't want to worry about money once we leave.

Things I don't want to worry about once we leave:

the bike
    the tires
    the gas
    the lodging
    the insurance
    the health/medevac insurance
    the money

because once we're riding, we want to just enjoy the trip.