Distance and Cost From San Diego to Ushuaia?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by bananaman, Aug 17, 2007.

1. tibejara

tibejara Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you are planning to ride S. America, there are two or three rider from this forum that actually riding at this moment, this is your best source for information as today, do not forget prices are changing almost monthly, for example Macchu Picchu there is no way you can do it for that price today, maybe if you walk all the walk to aguas calientes and don’t pay park entrance fee.
    For Security in Colombia pleas visit my web site and go to about Colombia, I was reading what the Colombian Government advise for citizens going to the States, “do not get close to train stations, do not visit parks, public places, airports, shopping centers, universities and list goes on and on; with this comments I want you to understand something, the biggest liars are the media and the department home security in the US.
    4 months to do this trip sound a bit short, but I understand time for families, enjoy your trip, if is anything that you need here in safe Colombia, please let me know
  2. swjohnsey

swjohnsey Banned

Oddometer:
    How much does it cost to visit Macchu Picchu these days? I heard it was still possible to get from Colon to Colombia by boat.
  3. AndyT

AndyT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The $130 price I quoted for a Macchu Picchu tour was from November '06. That included bus from Cusco to Ollantytambo, train from there to Aguas Calientes, 2 nights hotel, admission to the grounds, and tour guide. The tour was only 2 hours, I spent the rest of the day wandering on my own. The hostel in Cusco I booked through let me keep me bike there while I was away. This was a low end trip, but it can be done. Admission to the grounds by itself was $36, but as I said, that was included in the package I took. This was at the end of the busy season, so that may make a diference.
  4. Flying Gringo 101

Flying Gringo 101 custodia flammae Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's my ride report.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186641&highlight=southern+comfort

I chose to travel light and didn't take a tent or sleeping bag. The hostels south of the border run the full spectrum of quality and comfort as I stayed in a $2/ night hostel in Bolivia and spent $25 for another hostel in Argentina. In nearly all cases, breakfast is included.

The MOST important aspect of choosing a hostel is security for the bike and many nights I checked out as many as 6 hostels until I found one which had secured parking.

I found Argentina to have the most camping areas and most are located in beautiful areas.

If you've got a planned route with a map you can post then I'm certain you'll get better advice on good camping areas/hostels for your upcoming adventure.

Cheers.
  5. Flying Gringo 101

Oddometer:
    Great post.

:thumb

Motorcycling Paradise, indeed.
  6. Flying Gringo 101

Oddometer:
  7. tibejara

tibejara Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry you are right for the price of Macchu Picchu, the price is the one called for backpackers and you go by bus to Hallanta, since I quoted for my tours and is a bit higher.
    Rumors in Cuzco this January was that you can ride to a town close to Aguas calientes, but there was a big concern about the train, 40 minures walk to Aguas calientes from where you leave the bike, the road is hard pack rocks and not in very good condition, it sound to me good for a KTM, KLR, DR, XR

People that have done the Colon-Cartagena by boat have said that is very nice, the only thing is to cover the bike well in order to avoid salt in the bike
  8. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    I looked at your website and it looks like you have a nice company. ON the way down maybe we could ride together a little? Do you ride with adventurers on their own bikes?

Without getting into a pissing match about safety, the one thing I read that I believed is that Cartegena can be very dangerous- dangerous like parts of Milwaukee or Chicago or Colon. If we take a boat from Panama, do we have to go to Cartegena? Is there a safer port, maybe in Venezuela? (I want to go to Venezuela just for the cheap gas!)

9. lakota

lakota Geeser

Oddometer:
    here is a link to the Bo Griffen trip he did to TDF earlier this year. his spread sheet shows his costs. and there are some nice pix.
    have a great ride
    Lakota
  10. lakota

lakota Geeser

Oddometer:
  11. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Excellent example of how to drive through most of Latin America without really seeing or learning anything about most of the countries and people you "visited" when you are done. I really don't get these Bun Burner rides to TdF. What's the point? :dunno

Gustavo
  12. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    watching the banaman :lurk

what is your timeframe?...not 6 months?....

FWIW...I rode a KLR from Green Bay to Roatan Honduras in 8 days in fall 04...

then left the bike at a friend's til spring and flew home for business...and then flew back down to ride home....

this was my option due to time constraints...
  13. daveg

daveg no longer homeless

Oddometer:
  14. bananaman

Oddometer:
    WOW!!!

This is exactly what I was looking for!

2750 from Houston to Panama
    5256 from Cali to Punta Arenas
    8006 total.

Of course that's the pretty-much-direct route, but it's a great place to start the planning.

As for racing- we're not racing or burning our butts. Roatan is a place I've got to see. I've heard the diving is awesome. We're interested in learning things we didn't already know- or even know we didn't know. We don't know how long it'll take. That's part of the adventure! We do have some time constraints, and we don't have an unlimited budget.

Only 8000 miles... no wonder some guys can do it so fast!

My Alaska trip this summer was 9000 miles and took about 3 weeks, and that was an awful lot of riding. Depending on conditions and daily goals and sight seeing and weather and border crossings and bike maintenance and stuff, 150-500 mile days seem do-able. If we averaged 250 miles a day- on the days we ride- those 8000 miles would take about a month. We're planning on taking breaks every once in a while, depending on how much fun we're having. Roatan, somewhere in Costa Rica, Isla Colon, Boquette, the Darien, Cali, Machu Pichu, and tons of places in SA I've never heard of- at least 20 extra days of looking at stuff without moving. So the trip down could take 2 months. Or three. But not six. Probably closer to 3 months. We should be able to have plenty of fun and adventure in 3 months.

8000 miles, 40mpg, 200 gallons, $3.50/gallon, $700? Probably closer to $1000 for fuel?

15. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Carving notches...
    This is sometimes more important to a person than the experience itself.

Did I ever tell you about my visit to Athens? No?
    The web seats along the fuselage of the C130 weren't than comfy...as we waited on the runway to take off again that dark night. But I've been to Athens Greece. :D
  16. bananaman

Oddometer:
    What's the point?

It's an individual thing. Some people just have different goals, different tastes, etc. It's the same with people who do triathlons or run marathons- when they're not really very good athletes. But when they finish, they feel a sense of accomplishment. Maybe they spend their days in a cube and long to get away. And maybe when they get away, they can't get away for very long. And when they come back, and sit in their cube, they can smile. And nobody will get it, but to them, they'll have accomplished something.

So I don't question them. Whatever trips their trigger.

Unless, of course, if they happen to ride a harley to Ushuaia. Especially if they actually make it. That would totally suck. IMHO.

17. swjohnsey

swjohnsey Banned

Oddometer:
    Anyone want to donate a Harley? I"ll ride it to Ushuaia just to piss folks off.
  18. kennyanc

kennyanc Long timer

Oddometer:
    A most excellent response Bananaman. The world would be a pretty boring place if we all liked the same things. Not everyone has months of time to commit to riding to TdF. When I take a trip to MX I want to get to the border as fast as I can. For me, that is when my vacation really starts. I am sure there are many interesting things between NC and the MX border but that is not what I want on this trip.

The way I see it, questioning the way people ride on their trips (when it is THEIR trip) is almost as pointless as questioning the brand of bike they ride. It's a personal choice. It may not be the way you would do it but it is their bike and their ride so get over it.

A Harley to TdF. :huh I gotta read that ride report! :clap
  19. swjohnsey

swjohnsey Banned

Oddometer:
    Come on, somebody come up with a Harley. I'll ride the mofo to Ushuaia. I saw one on the haul road.
  20. AndyT

AndyT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am sure there have been a hundred Harley's ridden to Ushuaia, I saw several there last year, including a couple two up on an Electra Glide.