Distance and Cost From San Diego to Ushuaia?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by bananaman, Aug 17, 2007.

1. AndyT

AndyT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kind of interesting to note how your per day expenses go down if you take longer to do the same basic trip. This guy spent $8k in 5 weeks or something, I spent $11.5k in 6 months doing the same basic trip, and you could probably go for a year on $15k without eating out of dumpsters or anything.
  2. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    We spent approx $100 / day for 2 bikes & 3 people on a 2 month trip to Panama. Ate werever / whenever we were hungry. Hotels varied from $10 / nite to $160/ nite (Mexico City). We were cheap when we could be but didn't worry about speding money if we needed to. Example, we stayed a week with someone we knew in Panama but took them out for a $200 dinner. We just figured it was a wash in the end.

I think you could do this for $50/day if you watch your budget. We were more concerned with enjoying ourselves and didn't get to anal with the budget. Might be different if you're going RTW for a multi-year trip.

Have fun, ride safe and enjoy the hell out of it.

Cheers,
  3. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    So, to prepare for a ride to South America, I actually bought a GS, right? A nice, ready-to-be-farkled GS. I'm putting work and money into it- shocks, zega cases, piaa lights, fog lights, hard-parts, hand-guards, GPS, new starter, new battery, etc. etc. etc. Meanwhile, I know I could do it on a Harley. A nice big one. Totally just cruise, two-up, with leathers and an open-face helmet.

That would be kind of cool. On an electraglide I wouldn't need to be adding panniers or anything extra at all.

Maybe next time. Seriously. Maybe next time, on an older Harley- one with a chain instead of a belt. I know a guy who swears that he gets 60mpg on his. (Of course I wonder if actually his odometer is off by 30%.)

I saw some people on the Casiar on Harleys- just kind of motoring through the mud. They were having as much fun as me!
  4. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Why not?

If I asked Lone Rider why he rides the bike he rides, I am sure he can articulate the reasons that got him to that choice (it could be anything from he thinks it's the greatest thing on two wheels to it's the only bike he can afford, for example). If I asked you why do you make it to the MX border as quickly as possible, you have a good explanation of what leads you to that decision. So why is asking what do you get out of running down to Chile or Argentina in XX days not a valid question? :dunno

Gustavo
  5. kennyanc

kennyanc Long timer

Oddometer:

Maybe I didn't explain my point very well or maybe you just didn't understand what I was trying to say. Either way let me try again.

My point was not to say that we shouldn't try to understand why people ride the way they do. My issue is with the attitude some have that if everyone doesn't slow down and see more of the country they are riding thru that they are doing it all wrong. It may not be the way you or I or Bob would do it but it is the way they chose to do it. It works for them and that is all that really matters.

I have done some long days with a goal of getting somewhere really fast and I have done other long days simply with a goal of covering miles and seeing new scenery. I enjoy leaving in the a.m. stopping in the p.m. in completely different surroundings and terrain.

It's all good. Variety truely is "The Spice of Life"

Maybe it is kind of like trying to explain why we ride to non-riders. :dunno

Cheers Gustavo. :beer I would like to share beer with you sometime. First round is on me. You are part of the inspiration for my upcoming trip through central MX.
  6. gpothoven

gpothoven whatever

Oddometer:
    I´m surprised, only 8000 miles. I just did a run (I was very pressed for time, long story) from Buenos Aires to Quito, and it was 4000 miles almost to the dot. No detours. I didn´t count the miles by stage. I just saw the odometer when I left, and when I arrived...

Bs.As. - Santiago del Estero
    Santiago del Estero -Jujuy
    Jujuy - San Pedro de Atacama
    San Pedro de Atacama - Tacna
    Tacna - Nazca
    Nazca - Lima
    Lima - Chiclayo
    Chiclayo - Machala
    Machala - Quito
  7. AndyT

AndyT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It all depends on your point of view. I spent 6 months riding through Latin America, and I get plenty of people getting all self righteous with me saying things like "You only spent 6 months? So you're only a tourist, I spent 2 years, so I'm a TRAVELLER." I think there is a lot of value in covering a lot of ground if you have limited time, if it gives you a general sense of the area, and where to go next time. I think 5 weeks from the US to TdF and back is a little extreme, but that's my opinion.

Someone is always going to say you went too fast or too slow or you spent too much or too little. Everyone has their own reasons for what they do.
  8. bananaman

Oddometer:
    It's true that I'm easily impressed. Do I read this as 4,000 miles in 9 days? Do you have a ride report I could see? Because I'd be very interested in the terrain you covered, obstacles, etc.

Regarding different styles- that's one of the reasons we (pillion and I) ride alone. If I wanted to ride just like everyone else... I'd ride a harley. (I'm a little slap-happy right now because I just got home from "bike night" at quaker steak and lube. I felt SOOOO superior to them since I was riding a BMW.)
  9. gpothoven

gpothoven whatever

Oddometer:
    Dont be impressed... since many, many more have dome more miles in less days, and I did it because I had to, not because I wanted to. Skipped a lot of worthwile stuff in getting here as quick as possible. It's not updated with the run we're talking about, still working on it...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140797
  10. bananaman

Oddometer:
    NICE TRIP!!!

We don't have as much time as you, but if we did... WOW.

(I'm easily impressed so take these "wow" things as you want.)
  11. quastdog

quastdog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Everyone does it a different way - there isn't an answer to your question.

Do you want to sleep in nothing but shithole hotels? Then cheaper then the rest of us.

Want to do it the shortest route possible, least amount of gas? Want to enjoy the experience? Then it ain´t the shortest route possible.

Give us a break!

Do some research, then ask some specific questions. Don't make us do the heavy lifting for you.
  12. bananaman

Oddometer:
    There are plenty of ways to answer my question. You, obviously, had a serious attitude. FYYFF, says I.

Sometimes in the morning my seat is wet with dew. Would you mind- could you sit on it for me and warm it up and dry it off? Thanks.

There's another website that I got real tired of because it seemed like all the posters were poseurs. They would say things like, "if I ever bought a motorcycle..." and "if I ever did a ride like that, this is what I would do..." and then they'd start to slam anyone who actually did ride. Those are the people I directed my FYYFF to. At that site, at this site, and elsewhere on the web, there are people who- even though they don't ride- sure are good at finding stuff on the web. They can be awesome. (They usually figure out who the FYYFF doesn't apply to.) Ask the collective anything, then just sit back and read. On this thread someone already posted a link to a pretty nice on-line map. That was a specific answer to my question. Others, who have done the ride, have provided links to their ride reports. Very nice stuff.

Now I'm going to go downstairs and re-mount the blinkers on my sucky GS. I'm not very good at mechanical stuff but I'm learning.

I could have just gone out and bought a new GS Adventure, but that seemed like the wrong thing for me to do. (Maybe once I get promoted from posseur to newB, then I can get an 1150GS with a branded title. After I ride from Paris to Dakar then maybe I can get a 1200GS. Of course, by then, the BMW gods with have invented a K12GSLT with an on-board espresso maker.)

Earlier this summer I bought an 11 year old GS, and now I'm tricking it out for this ride. I paid $4500 for it. I've added an aeroflow windshield, hard parts, piaa head lights, and zega cases. I'm looking for an 8 gallon tank. I just got a new starter. I'm buying new Ohlins shocks. While I'm adding this stuff I'm learning a lot about how the bike works. And I'm riding it more and more- to learn how it actually handles. Last week I did a 900 mile ride, including a day on dirt tracks in northern Wisconsin. We're planning another ride, in two weeks- a lap around Lake Superior. Depending on how that goes, we'll either do another practice ride (Baja), or just GO.
  13. gpothoven

gpothoven whatever

Oddometer:
    I like the "just go" option. One tends to overthink and overanalyze this stuff. When I was about to start my ride, I delayed a week waiting for this little gadget to arrive from here or this other one from there... without that stuff the ride was gonna be impossible... yeah right! One day I just realized that I was just finding excuses to let go of the edge of the pool, and just went. Left late in the day, in the rain, without everything I wanted to have with me... but I left, and it was ok.

Don't get flustered with the advice here. Take what advice is useful to you, discard the rest (including mine above). It's YOUR ride and anyone who says there is one right or only one way way to do it is full of shit.
  14. bananaman

Oddometer:
    JUST GO!

I like that option but I'm actually not quite ready for that. Once I finish tricking-out the bike... very tempting. All I have to do is get permission from my kids.

I'd say the bike is almost ready, but right now I really don't want to ride it very far. Between the shocks and the seat, it's damn uncomfortable. I could do it with the 6 gallon tank, but it doesn't offer much range. It's fine for normal US riding, but once gone- I like the idea of having a solid 300 mile range. Not that our butts can handle 300 miles with ease, but so that we won't have to worry about gas.

Bike purchase: $4500
    Post-purchase maintenance (deffered by previous owner): $500
    RID: $150
    Hard parts: $150
    Starter: $225
    Aeroflow windshield: $400
    Givi top-case adapter: $100
    Givi top-case (off the RS): $350
    PIAA head lights: $250
    Walmart fog-lights: $20
    New Battery: $75
    Zega side-cases: $800
    Ohlins shocks: $1200
    Old side cases: -400
    Old garmin GPS (for sale on ebay next week): -$50
    Old windshield (for sale next week): -$75
    Stock rear cargo plate (for sale next week): -$50
    total so far: $8145
    and I still need a gas tank. The beemerboneyard guys say I should be able to fine one for $600, and sell mine for $300- but I haven't found one in three months of looking. I did find a used TT tank- but it's unpainted and the owner wants $900 for it. The thing is, I don't need an 11 gallon tank. But if I don't find an adventure tank by the middle of October, and the TT tank is still available, I might go for it. I suppose 11 gallons of capacity won't hurt.

The best and least expensive 1150 adventure I found was around $9k- and I'm sure that I'd still have wanted to trick it out, and probably spend $2k-$5k on it. I'm not trying to be cheap by using an old 1100GS- I'm just trying to have fun. My kind of fun. My bike isn't the ride for everyone, and I would never tell anyone that my way is the best way or the only way.

I spent most of the alaska ride worrying about gas and tires, gas and tires, gas and tires. I had to change tires twice, and the front was already badly cupped when I got home. Yuck. I almost ran out of gas on the Casiar. Almost running out of gas- that proved to be a regular adventure, but when I have a rider pillion, that's a different kind of responsability. No running-out-of-gas-allowed.

Thanks for the advice. I don't know why I even respond to nay-sayers. Part of me wants to think I'm trying to stay positive. But the other part just likes a good fight.
  15. bananaman

Oddometer:
    I forgot to add "tax, title, & registration" to the original bike purchase: $300
    and the GPS I'm using: $500
    and the PLB I carry: $700
    and the Darien Jacket: $300
    and the AD1 Pants: $150
    and the boots: $250
    and the Lonely Planet Guide: $20
    and the other, misc. guide: $20
    and the paper maps: $30
    and the sleeping bags ($200 each): $400
    and the tent: $350
    and the sleeping pads ($40 each): $80
    and the stove: $125
    and the fuel bottles ($25 each): $50

which adds $3325. So far. So much for "just GO!"
  16. bananaman

Oddometer:
    I liked this thread. People were, for the most part, civil. There's good info. Good links. Some attitude (I'm as guilty as anyone else) but mostly optimism and wisdom.

I'm going to hustle but it's not like a race or anything. I'm not going to go super cheap but I'm not staying at marriot's either. I like the view from my bike. I like riding fun roads. I like looking for really, really nice lines- and if I fine a good one, I've been known to turn around and do it again.

If anyone wants to suggest places to stay, places to see, places to eat and drink, on a rough line from Brownsville to Ushuaia, preferably skipping Mexico City- I'm interested.

ps: I decided not to take a pillion passenger this time. Maybe some other time, with an Ultraglide...
  17. bananaman

Oddometer:
    It's 11,000 miles from Madison, Wisconsin, USA, to Buenos Aires, Argentina. It's another 2,000 miles almost straight south from BA to Ushuaia- or, 4,000 miles round-trip. I rode about 15,000 miles.

Like Mr. Seguin said, your standard of living goes up dramatically if you spend just a little more than the minimum. One night in Nicaragua at the Oasis Hostel in Grenada was about $8, but the water from the shower had some kind of strange pH, and made us itch for two days. One night in a Marriot was about $90, and it was exactly the kind of refreshment we needed. Mix them up and you get a very well rounded experience.

My fuel economy averaged around 40mpg. Sometimes I got close to 50, but in the wind in southern Argentina, I got about 29.

Tires are a huge factor. I prefer TKC-80s, but they don't go far before wearing out. I bought a set in Panama for about double the cost in the US. When I had to go back to Wisconsin, I bought another set, and brought them back to Panama. Tires as luggage is another problem... Road-tires can go much farther, but the drawback is the inability to get off the road.

Depending on the day, the weather, and what you eat, you'll spend between $.50 and $1.00/mile. You can do the math- 15,000 miles from Wisconsin to Ushuaia to BA. Sorry if $7,500 is a big variable, but there are so many variables that it's impossible to pin down.

My repairs were about $1,000. That included rebuilding the front brake hydraulics, replacing the clutch, and replacing the flywheel. The brakes were pretty much normal wear-and-tear, but the clutch/flywheel episode was completely my fault, and part of the most epic day. I did two oil-changes, each for about $75, and one transmission/final drive fluid change, for about $20.

I went through three sets of tires. Actually, I changed tires in Panama, and am now riding on the rear that got me there. It had 5,000 miles on it when I took it off, and I've put another 2,500 miles on it. I changed tires again in Cordoba, Argentina, and when I got home, my rear TKC was bald.

My rear Ohlins is pretty shot, and my front is leaking. It'll cost a few hundred $ to rebuild them. There is no way that stock shocks would have held up.

I burned through one PIAA bulb.

I broke my speedo and still haven't fixed it. I think a new cable is about $10?

I rented a SAT phone from www.allroadcommunications.com. I wasted $300 on a SPOT (purchase plus subscription and insurance). I bought phone-cards in each country, usually for about $.05/minute to call the US. I usually used free or very-cheap public computers. Most hotels/hostels have free computers with highish-speed internet.

In 2007 I rode from Madison to Alaska and back- 9,000 miles total. With gas in Canada at about $5/gallon. But I camped more, and didn't eat much. Alaska and Canada are actually pretty easy.

There's a tour from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay to Ushuaia, for about $65,000. Can you say LUXURY?

If you want a sentence of advise... it depends on if you speak spanish or not. If not, then, learn spanish. If you already speak spanish, then I'll say, Colombia and El Salvador are awesome, but nothing beats Ushuaia.
  18. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:

¿But what was the bottom line, the total cost?:deal

p.s. ¡these Mexican keyboards suck, but I love the upside down puncuation!
  19. bananaman

Oddometer:
    I have not added it up. I'm afraid to. I lost half my receipts. I'd guess that it was closer to $15 than $10.

Gas: $1500
    Tires: $1000
    Shipping and flying Panama Bogota, including taxi rides: $900
    Shipping BA-Chicago, including trailer rental and gas to Chicago: $2000
    90 hotel nights: $2700
    Bike Repairs: $1000
    quick total: $9,100

I flew myself home using frequent flyer miles. Otherwise a ticket from BA to Chicago is around $1000.

I don't know what I spent on food and beer. Sometimes almost nothing. Sometimes a lot.