1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

DisTech's DR350 rebuild

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by DisTech, Nov 27, 2009.

1. DisTech

DisTech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had the 8.1kg/mm spring on the bike last and it seemed real soft :huh.

RaceTech settings:
    • Weigh: 220lbs.
    • Riding Type: Desert / Enduro / Trail
    • Skill Level: Dirt Amateur
    • Height: Tall (6'3" or 190cm plus)
    • Gas Tank: Oversize Gas Tank
    I tried it saying I weighted 300lbs and wanted to do supercross and RaceTech recommendation still didn't get close to an 8.1 spring. So what's the deal? Well, someone had adjusted the stock shim stacks to be really light. I noticed my stacks were different from jcalis, his being stock. According to the Shim ReStackor's spring selection page, I should be able to make any of my springs work. I'm going with the 8.1 in case I want to haul some gear.
  2. Pablo83

Pablo83 Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer:
    Wow. I'm guessing I'll be buying a lot of different springs to find the right one. RaceTech seems so far off for the DR shock, that it really doesn't even give you a reasonable starting point.

BTW, where did you buy your springs?
  3. RandyM

RandyM Less talk, More ride

Oddometer:
    I weigh about 230 and asked Jesse at Kientech what springs to get for my 99 DR350. He recomended 8.1 rear and 0.5 front. It's a huge improvement over stock. I'm not really experieinced enough with good suspension to say it is dialed in. I also put a racetech gold valve and used their recomended stack.
  4. DisTech

Oddometer:
    Didn't buy any, one basket case came with an Eibach 8.1 and stock. The other came with an Eibach 5.8 (funny, same rate as stock).

Hey! That's great new! I'll just put mine back together with the new GoldValve and recommended shims and the 8.1. I was coming to that conclusion anyway because to make the best use of Shim ReStackor you need a starting point and then something specific you want to change. Thanks, maybe I can start making some progress again.
  5. Skeeter Cruz

Skeeter Cruz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Distech, thanks for the thread! I've been reading it like Gospel through my whole build so far, it's been immensely helpful. Full frame/motor/trans teardown, procycle 440 kit, mikuni carb, rmz250 fork, supermoto wheels/tires (distanzias), exhaust, vaportech, blah blah blah...

[​IMG]

SO close to being done now, it starts up easy. A couple snafus that I'm helping you could help me out though.

1. The oil line coming out of the clutch cover leaks like crazy at the bolt, no matter what I'm doing to it - almost like pressure is blowing it out?

[​IMG]

2. After replacing all the clutch/friction plates (and taking them out again, soaking them all again, and rebuilding again) I still can't get the clutch to release, no matter how much I tighten down the clutch cable. It pulls, but won't release. Feel like I'm doing something stupid here... Kit is from procycle too.

Thanks for all the help!
  6. DisTech

Oddometer:
    Thanks, looks like you will have a fun supermoto there.

Assuming the pinion is engaged and you have tension on the clutch cable, what would prevent it from disengaging enough? Is part #13 (or 13a & b) installed?
    [​IMG]

The banjo bolt leak is odd, do you just need new crush washers?
  7. Skeeter Cruz

Skeeter Cruz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think all pieces are fine (crush washers, bolts + springs, and pinion) but nice to know I'm not missing something stupid! I'll keep fiddling with it, thanks!
  8. Pablo83

Pablo83 Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer:
  9. Skeeter Cruz

Skeeter Cruz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thank you! I'll break it back down and take a look.
  10. kawi380

kawi380 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been thinking about pulling my old 95350se out of moth balls. I have now been inspired.:clap
  11. FlyingWman

FlyingWman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You should, they're a blast when tuned up :D
  12. BAD-MOD

BAD-MOD professional fiddler

Oddometer:
    hows your bike running withal Few hours on it?
  13. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. 3uba296

3uba296 Thumpcurious

Oddometer:
    Anything new? :lurk
  15. LCNMRIDER

LCNMRIDER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Las Cruces,NM (yes we speak english here)
    You started this thread with the intent to build a DR350 that would run 75 all day and still be fun in the dirt. You done a beautiful job with the rebuild, so please, tell us how it runs! Does it do what you set out to do?

Rick
  16. dirtyleg

dirtyleg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    my old DR is pining for more, of course i locked it up yesterday and it does not want to be parted out.
  17. .tdc

.tdc b00b

Oddometer:
  18. Weekend_warrior

Weekend_warrior Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Emptied the old gas from my 94 the other day. Cleaned a filter and fired that bad boy up after better than a year! The carb was actually clean (peaked in the bowl). I must have actually had some for thought and used stablizer in the gas when I parked it!

Will be giving her an outing in the near future!
  19. RuggedExposure

RuggedExposure Now with more rugged

Oddometer:
  20. DisTech

Oddometer:
    • One bike is almost back together again.
    • Through RaceTech, I resprung the WP forks and rebuilt the shock. Finally got the shock recharged with nitrogen last month and now installed.
    • Been trying to rework the wad of wiring behind the head light. It binds too much as is.
    • Need steering stops, planning on copying dopra's elegant solution.
    • Ditched the Tubliss, not because they failed, but because maintaining 115psi inner liner out in the sticks is not practical.
    • Oh and check this out. MotionPro wheel weights, box of 72 for $6.50 (picture is wrong)! I don't know if it's a clearance or what, but I just ordered another box in silver so I would have them.
    • I have not been happy the bulkiness the oil cooler piping. Was searching for alternatives when I came across this. Wish I would have know you can tap those bosses a long time ago.