DisTech's DR350 rebuild

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by DisTech, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Pablo83

Pablo83 Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting that. Good info.
  2. DisTech

DisTech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks dopra for the design idea.

Post weld "beautification".
    [​IMG]

Bit of paint and loctited in place.
    [​IMG]
  3. Suzubaru

Suzubaru n00b

Oddometer:
    When you swapped your transmission do you remember what other parts you used from the 250 to finish it. I put one in my 350 but it wont fully engage into 4th gear for some reason or another. Were the shift drums/forks any different?
  4. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:
    We're all watching for more updates, but I'm particularly interested in what you think of the fcr-mx37 for the DR....
  5. DisTech

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the lack of updates, been a little distracted. One of the things I picked up for that build was a wide band O2 sensor and I got an extra bung for the 455. I welded bungs for both headers already so once I get the 790 jetted I'll check the FCR on the 455.
  6. DisTech

Oddometer:
    Memorial day weekend plan was to haul a couple bikes over to my sisters and ride around in the hills. So first thing Saturday morning got up and decided to check the ring gap on the DR455! :norton

7:30am
    [​IMG]

7:50am
    [​IMG]

8:20am
    [​IMG]

8:30am
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cylinder looked ok. Everything probably would have been fine but I did increase the gap a bit (sorry didn't take pic). Now put this thing back together!

3:30pm Not bad considering we packed everything else after I got the bike back together.
    [​IMG]

The DR455 is one fun machine! WP forks and RaceTech rebuilt rear shock all sprung for my weight is fantastic. Not too loud but has a bad ass growl when you want it. FCR-MX37 is perfect (still haven't looked at the AFR yet but it runs great). For guys with kick only, how the hell do you manage without the hot start the FCR has?
    [​IMG]
  7. Pablo83

Oddometer:
    I prefer not to stop so I don't have to restart the bike.

Unfortunately not every one likes to ride like I do. My bike takes two or three kicks to start when it's warm. It gets real old late in the day with a group that likes to stop a lot.

I love the capabilities of my DR. I did 130 solo miles on my DR yesterday. Then I took my 12 yr old son on a 15 mile night ride (his first). He had a fun time.
  8. Greg Bender

Greg Bender Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fortunately, I do not seem to have this problem with my DR350. When warm, it almost always restarts with one kick.

It was a Moto Guzzi riding weekend for me. The DR350 is down right now while I wait for parts to replace the timing chain, sprockets, and guides. I replaced the timing chain and both sprockets about 13,000 miles ago and I'm down to one click left on the adjuster. I had hoped for a longer service life than that. Last time I did not replace my guides because I was told they wear like iron. This time I'm replacing them in hopes of longer life.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
  9. DisTech

Oddometer:
    Starting the bike hot with the FCR Hot Start pulled is usually one kick, without it pulled it's multiple kicks (didn't do it much because the Hot Start works so well).

Pablo, I get the motivation for infrequent stops! :lol3 Is that first ride with your son or first night ride? Was he pillion or on his own little bike? Either way, I bet that was super fun for him and you. Just reread your awesome thread to find you have a new TM33?

Greg, do you have the BST33? And how do you know how many clicks are left on your CCT? You have a manual one?
  10. Greg Bender

Greg Bender Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I replaced the pumper with a CV carb (such a rebel, I know! ;> ;> ;>). Hot starts were not a problem with either.

As for the cam chain tensioner, I held it in place while I removed the two bolts that secure it to the cylinder. Then, I just listened for the clicks. Only one click and it was fully extended. I pushed it back in fully extended and there was just a bit of space between it and the cylinder - perhaps a millimeter. Too close for my comfort.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
  11. Pablo83

Oddometer:
    We recently installed headlights on his bike so he's been wanting to use them. He wrecked once on some rocks and then decided he should ride slower at night than he does in the day... good choice, son.

I installed a new one, but the idle circuit was worse than the used one, so I moved all the new components to the old TM33 body and it is kind of acceptable, but not as nice as an FCR.
  12. DisTech

Oddometer:
    After 4 hours at Tahuya, I am a wet noodle. The bike performs much better than I do. It ran fantastic! Not sure what my fuel usage is but the jetting as is gives me no problems, hot start, cold start couple kicks. I did have to kick a few more times after a couple dirt naps but the carb is not meant to function upside down.
    [​IMG]
    loganlexow and vagabondmatt like this.
  13. Greg Bender

Greg Bender Long timer

Oddometer:
    FYI, I compared my old and new cam chain guides before install. Have a read here if you like:

http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/dr350.htm#gtb_cam_chain___timing_chain_guides

Regards,

Gregory Bender
  14. DisTech

Oddometer:
  15. Reposado1800

Reposado1800 Juicy J fan!

Oddometer:
    You have probably mentioned this before but I cant remember, the DR350 and XR400 were built into MX bikes before this latest generation of four strokes were born. I dont see any more of the DR's like yours. It is pure 90's era nostalgia.
  16. mellephants

mellephants loves dirtbikes

Oddometer:
    I thought my DR350S was just fine as-is, and then I saw your bike. :D Nice work.
  17. feretromc

feretromc emporiomoto

Oddometer:
    Need some help with 1994 DR350 SE Electric Start.
    My Cylinder Head is a 14D5 E-1. Does anyone know if I can place a 15D E-1 o a 14D E-1?

Thanks!
  18. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bump.....
  19. Wylie

Wylie Back in the saddle again

Oddometer:
    And my poor old 94 still sits in the garage basically a basket case, when there's time there's money and when there's the money there's no time.
  20. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bringing the old Distech build bible back from 2013. I still read and reference this thread regularly.