DisTech's DR650 rebuild

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by DisTech, Dec 13, 2008.

1. DisTech

DisTech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the idea of the stock tool tube, but it's ridiculously small. There are many references to the Agri Supply Manual Canister being used as a tool tube on advrider.com and I was hoping I could mount it in place of the stock one.

• Agri Supply Manual Canister. The mounting brackets on the Canister were so big they were unusable. I cut them off with a hacksaw then shaved the rest down with a wood rasp.
    • 0.080 aluminum 11" x 6" rolled to a 3.5" tube. 1" notches in one end allows a 4" x 1" flange to be turned out. Working for a mechanical contractor with a sheetmetal shop has its perks.
    • Stainless steel pipe clamps.
    • Aerostitch Tool Roll #4670. After looking at a lot of roll-ups all the wrong size I finally saw the size description for this one, "25.5"×21.5" (unrolled), 11"×3.5" (rolled)". Wow, perfect! Unfortunately, by the time I put my tools in it it was too big. Major surgery was required, straps and buckles cut off and the big flap with large velcro closing pockets also gone. While I really like the quality, this roll-up was to expensive for the butcher job I had to do to make it usable.
    [​IMG]

Mounts using stock tool tube bolts and bracket. Roll-up slides in easy.
    [​IMG]

Cap goes on without interference.
    [​IMG]

With the plastic on it's still accessible.
    [​IMG]

RTFM? Excellent.
    [​IMG]
  2. yater

yater Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't read the whole thread. Did you replace the base gasket while you had it torn down? That would have been my first mod on an '02.
  3. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Looks great, and cheap. :evil

Mental note "Copy Distechs tool holder"

Mezo. :lurk
  4. itsforrest

itsforrest Ugly bag of mostly water

Oddometer:
    Nice job on the tool tube. How is the tire to tube clearance with the rear suspension compressed?
  5. DisTech

Oddometer:
    Yes.

Thanks man. Just saw the front end pics on your righteous build. That will be one sexy DR.

Thanks. No clearance problem. The canister mounts in place of the stock tube, between the forward inner fender and outer plastic. The inboard side of the cap is probably as close to the tire as rear inner fender (removed on mine) was.
  6. DisTech

Oddometer:
    I've been using a milk crate with a 3x3 on top of it as a stand and it's a struggle to get the DR up on there. Last week I went in the house for a tool and came back to the garage to find the milk crate was slowly squashing on one side and the DR leaning ready to fall on my K12RS! It didn't, but a few more minutes and it would have. Time for a better stand. The DR is on a diet, so that ruled out a center stand. There are lots of motorcycle lifts, but I wanted to keep it small, simple and cheap. Here it is less that $20.

• 6' 1x10
    • 4' 1x6
    • Screws
    • Glue

Almost all the dimensions I needed.
    [​IMG]

All parts cut. Only one part screwed up, twice!
    [​IMG]

Glued before final assembly.
    [​IMG]

She seems to work!
    <object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GPogGs0FWS4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GPogGs0FWS4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>
  7. McLeod

McLeod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brilliant!!!! :freaky

8. straightrod

straightrod Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love the stand. To me genius is when eloquent meets function.
  9. inire

inire Browncoat symp

Oddometer:
    the stand is scarily nifty.

But I'll admit to one concern: the foot-step/tongue: since I am not at well versed in wood, does that give anyone else pause?

I'm just a metalist, i guess.
  10. Deltakus

Deltakus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would make the tougue/step longer. But it wood be fine. Or just bolt some scrap/ conduit to it and would be fine.
  11. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    Milk Crate stands are fine on motocross bikes but for the DR650 I would think
    it's a bit heavy to lift ONTO the wooden box. I raced Enduro's for years and used various boxes, crates, professional moto boxes ... all kinds.
    Lifting a 200 lb. dirt bike up onto a box is no prob. but the 370 lbs. DR650 is a bit of work.

Then a very bright machinist friend designed this: Originally made for my Two stroke race bike, this design can be constructed to fit any dual sport or dirt bike. It's fairly stable and allows you to elevate either the front or rear wheel.

So simple and easy to make. I've had this one for 20 years. It's been copied many times by friends and riders ... who once they're tried it ... go out and make one. It's the best design I've ever seen.

[​IMG]
    In position to lift
    [​IMG]
    Position stand onto glide plate or skid plate.
    [​IMG]
    Voila!

NOTE: This stand was made for a TALL dirt bike. For the DR it CAN work but is tough to lever up. If the stand is made slightly lower, with a slightly longer lever arm, it works perfectly on the DR650 or other heavy enduro.

Pic shown with rear wheel up. Slide bike back on glide plate and rear goes
    down, front wheel comes up. Works well.
  12. DisTech

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

Wow, thanks! Can't take all the credit, mainly copied the lever and centers of gravity from my K12RS's center stand. The box looks simple but it took me a while to realize that's what it needed to look like.

Thanks. I agree, if I had the facilities I'd probably make it out of metal. Django's lift is a great example.

Very nice stand and it can be put against the wall and take almost no floorspace!

I don't know why you'd need a longer lever, it's your final height that makes it more work to lift your DR. I made mine to just lift both wheels off the ground. So, I'm only levering from 10.5" to 13". It's actually easier to put the DR650 on the lift stool than it is to put the K12RS on it's center stand.
  13. DisTech

Oddometer:
    There has been some discussion in the big DR650 thread about how the Two Brothers exhaust with a P3 or P4 restrictor whistles or chirps occasionally. Mine does it when I shut down. With the spark arrestor and a restrictor installed, the screen from the arrestor prevents a good seal on the flange of the restrictor. And having both flanges from the arrestor and the restrictor make a gap around the base of the magnesium tip. So it is a whistle!

Someone mentioned using an o-ring to seal the leak. Honestly I don't know how that would be possible. I used high temp silicone.
    [​IMG]

Here is the piece that Two Brothers should be providing. I thought about making this when I had trouble with the magnesium tip before. It's an aluminum plate the thickness of the P4 flange that sits in the recess at the end of the muffler and provides a flat base for the magnesium tip to seat against.
    [​IMG]

The P4.
    [​IMG]

The Magnesium tip.
    [​IMG]

You can see the red silicone squished out a little in the gap.
    [​IMG]

The silicone should cure overnight and I'll find out tomorrow if it still chirps.
  14. kuyaoli

kuyaoli Been here awhile

Oddometer:

thanks DisTech for volunteering to try this out, I am very much interested how this works out. As the chirps or whistle is bothering me really.

I just hope that this is the case and not the round form of the P4 is causing the chirps.

Keep us infomred.
  15. DisTech

Oddometer:
    I like the plate I made instead of the stacks of washers I was using before, but the Two Brothers M7 with a spark arrestor and P4 restrictor still chirps. Sealing the exhaust leak out the side of the magnesium tip made no difference in whistle/chirps for me. It chirps on sudden decel and when I shut the engine off.

kuyaoli, you're are probably right that the shape of the P4 is what makes the whistle.

For now it's not bothering me too much, but I'll probably switch to the GSXR can in the future.
  16. kuyaoli

kuyaoli Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    that is what I was thinking, so if we could just change the form of the P4. To try it out if we could stick a little thing into the P4 like a metal paper-clip, which changes the form of the P4 and therefore prevents the whistle sound. I will try that if I find the time.

But since yesterday I am also thinking about a GSXR muffler at it is also convenient for us as we do have the 2B midpipe. Only thing, do we need to weld the midpipe flanch to the pipe as Kientech offers or will it work without welding?

It is a shame as the 2B is such a good looking muffler but just too loud and I am really disturbed by the whistle.

Will see...
  17. kuyaoli

kuyaoli Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just bought my GSXR muffler out of ebay, was lucky to get it as there was another guy very interested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do I need some Adapther brackets and a gasket as advertised on Kientech's page? I mean I have the 2B midpipe, right? What about the welding will it work without welding, otherwise I would not be able to use it for the 2B muffler anymore.

[​IMG]
  18. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Yes but better to weld & you need the little black bracket to fix to your frame, ADV member sander went with the bolt up kit & it leaked, he said when i do mine go for Jesse`s offer of welding it up for $25.

Mezo.
  19. ShadyRascal

ShadyRascal Master of None

Oddometer:
    Dude! Sweet!
  20. inire

inire Browncoat symp

Oddometer:
    I'll say. I have some sorta scrap Alum around. i wonder if I can scare up enough....