DisTech's DR650 rebuild

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by DisTech, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Mfed

Mfed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The P4 chirps without the SA installed as well, and the P3 chirps too (SA installed), just not as loudly. I don't notice it when I'm riding, and I've gotten used to it at throttle blipping and shutdown - still a light, great-looking, great performing pipe, it just doesn't have the greatest singing voice. I may go another direction sometime in the future, but for now I'm happy enough with it to start intently looking for my next mod (sorry, is it 'farkle?' I'm still stuck in my street-bike vernacular... ).
  2. DisTech

DisTech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check out my first video with a GoPro Hero Wide.
    Evans Creek 071809

I mounted the camera on a tab off the side of my license plate. Taking the video is easy, getting it ready for YouTube is a PITA (just because you have a great looking video on your machine doesn't mean it will look any good after you upload to YouTube and they reencode it for Flash, AARG!). I'm still not really happy with how it looks on YouTube, but... In the GoPro I use 4gb sd cards (unsupported, I sure wish I could get my hands on the beta firmware) and VirtualDub to fix the unsupported indexes and to split up the huge avi the GoPro makes. Then I use Blender for multi-track editing (Warning! Blender is not like any Windows app, very steep learning curve but very powerful).
  3. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Blender rulz :D
  4. Slyder

Slyder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Slightly O.T. but... how was Evans Creek on your DR? Are there many trails down there which are medium/big bike friendly?

I went down there a number of times back when I had my Jeep, but never paid much attention to the bike trails at the time.

- Chris
  5. _SMF_

_SMF_ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool video, that camera angle is cool. Like the music too.
  6. DisTech

Oddometer:
    I've got some plans, must acquire worthy video now.

The video link is to a single post in the larger Evans Creek thread. There is some single track that you can take 650's on, but really the trails labeled as 4x4 trails can be just as gnarly. The difficulty labels appear to be arbitrarily assigned. I find the place to be a lot of fun.

Thanks, that is 1995 Pennywise - About Time - Perfect People.
  7. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Ive just been looking on the gallery, nice :D

Captain America is plastic & standing in front of me yeah ? :D

[​IMG]
  8. DisTech

Oddometer:
    erg59 from the Pacific Northwet Regional forum was kind enough to show me FS70, part of the Naches Trail, many more FS roads over Green Pass to Stampede Pass and back to Greenwater.

The video is from my GoPro Hero Wide attached to my license plate along the Naches Trail. I learned a couple new tricks in Blender (multiple views, text fade). YouTube is still trial and error with uploading and hoping their recompress to flash will look good. I hope you like it.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-FrB9D_P74w&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-FrB9D_P74w&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
  9. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Jeez Louise my heart beat shot up watching that, full screen, volume up :D

Excellent :clap

Mezo.
  10. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice :clap
  11. DisTech

Oddometer:
    This quote is from J&E HC Piston & Web Cam on TT.
    Roll-on 2nd gear wheelies! I sense a winter project for my DR.
  12. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    This is a great reference tool. Thanks Dis. I hadn't checked in for a while.
  13. Ron Seida

Ron Seida Adventman

Oddometer:
    Awesome write-up, and a great build! I'm curious, do you work for Boeing? How's the Cogent shock working out for you? I'll receive mine shortly after Xmas. I really like the Dakar fairing and Buell head lamps, awesome ideas! I'll let you know when i'll be passing through on my way to Mexico, i might need to stop and warm up for a bit as i'll be leaving in January, brrrrr! :puke1
  14. dingobitme

dingobitme Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. xBEEFEDGEx

xBEEFEDGEx n00b

Oddometer:
    I just purchased a 97 dr650 for $750. And after seeing this thread, I can say (hopefully without being banned as this is my first post), it gave me a boner. You made your bike clean as all hell. I can only hope to not be lazy and make mine half as clean as yours.:clap
  16. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    Let me be the first to say...

You're a bastard and I hate you.

:freaky
  17. xBEEFEDGEx

xBEEFEDGEx n00b

Oddometer:
    haha I've seen some of your posts on TT. But yeah it needs some work, cyl. gasket, but all in all it ran 2 days ago, the kid left the petcock on overnight with a full tank :(. Talked him down from $900. I'm going to hell, I know.:evil
  18. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    And ill be the second to say it :D

Id pay that for the engine alone :deal

Mezo.
  19. xBEEFEDGEx

xBEEFEDGEx n00b

Oddometer:

I'm glad to hear it. I know I got a :deal on it for sure, just hope I can do all the repairs myself (as far as the gaskets go) I've helped my friend tear down his Indian, I've seen the FSM, shouldn't be too difficult. Plus thanks to this thread.
  20. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    It's cheaper than a pair of cases!